• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Jewellers arms meet up 2016 on the day

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
new thread here folks for posting your comments and photos of our meet up...

Looking forward to seeing them. Tho' I've never been to one of your meetings yet, it's a way for me to know a little more about how you all are.

Hi All,

I hope that it is going well. I am there in spirit but body will not carry me.

Old Boy

Best wishes from Crete too, though I can rarely put names to faces when I see the photographs! Never having personally met anyone from here, that's not surprising!

Maurice

Yet again forgot my camera so no pics from me !! come to think did not see any one taking pics, there again it was so crowded that is not surprising. I was there 2 hours and really enjoyed meeting every one, every body seemed to be enjoying themselves. There were so many raffle prizes I should every one should win one. IF anybody has not been to any of the 'meets' and is able to do so then give it a go, I promise you will enjoy it. My sincere thanks to Lyn for her hard work in organizing them. Eric

We are heading g your way soon Maurice, get the sun ready! The meet was lively as always, thanks to Lyns organisation and the generous raffle donations, albeit it'seems a wonder we didn't get arrested for loitering with intent when the pub didn't open on time.

thanks everyone for a brilliant turnout..so good to see so many of you supporting BHF..had a wonderful time and it was great to see old faces and also new ones...we raised £195 for our forum funds which is fantastic...many thanks to everyone who donated raffle prizes and bought raffle tickets..managed to take a few photos which i will post asp...i also had a wonderful surprise which i will post about later on..

thanks again folks

lyn xx

Last edited:
Yes Lyn a brilliant meet once again. I'm just getting ready to go out again.

Sue,

Are you heading to Crete and, if so, what part? Weather has been exceptional for March.

Maurice

A very big thank you to Lyn for organising an amazing meet up. It was great to say hello in real life to a number of people, thank you all for making this a great day.

Big thank you from me too. Had a lovely time (and I AM NOT now sulking in a corner at not winning anything in the raffle). Shall sort out my pics and post soon, while all you others are enjoying your raffle prizes. NOT bitter, no NOT bitter at all, not one teeny weeny bit, not even a smidgen ........ Viv.

Hi Robert. I don't even have a hook! Not that I'm feeling sorry for myself ....... sniffle, sniffle. Viv.

Thanks everyone for a lovely afternoon, I even won 2 raffle prizes, sadly not a painting. Thanks Lyn for organizing everything. Cheer up Viv, your turn will come.

Lynne.

Yes Lynne, I'm sure you're right. You've been there and your patience has been rewarded today! Viv.

Hi all

It was really good to meet everyone today - nice to be able to put faces to the names you read about all the time! Big thank you to Lyn for organising the do...to Postie for making it all possible and all of you who have helped me out with various bits & bobs over the time that I have been posting on the board. Even won the 2 books in which I was interested in the raffle - can't be bad. Had some interesting chats with a few people. Really looking forward to the next one (I won't be driving so I can sample the Brew XI in more depth!!!).

Thanks to all who turned up - it was great!

Cheers

S23 (Jan)

A really good meet, as always, and veryenjoyable, despite not getting my paintings ! Still they went to very good homes. Viv - The bitter was very good, shame you are not into it !

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done Lynn it was lovely to see you win. With all the applause you got, everyone else was pleased too.

Shall give the bitter a go next time Mike as I like bitter too. But never get the chance to have Mild - don't know why, but I've always liked Mild. I think some people refer to it as 'slops'. Maybe it was at one time. Viv.

Viv
Up to about 1970 most Birmingham pubs (and probably elsewhere as well) had a device called an economizer. This was a tube that went from all the overflow (slops) trays in the bars down to the cellar. This wen into the mild barrell. It had to be the mild as soemtimes it could turn the beer cloudy, but noone could see thta in the mild because of the colour. The device was made illegal in the 70s for health reasons (sometimes barmen would pour the dregs of pints into in there as well).

Back