• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Jelf - George William. born 1838

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi guys
Sorry to be a pain in the butt and please excuse me if I am in the wrong spot
I am wonder in whether or not if anybody could help me out on this one
I know I have been here many times about the jelfs but I received a paper with a date of a George William jelf
Which states he was born in 1838 which I seem not to have gotten
There fore I am wondering whether or not some one spare the time to look up for me,
I have George William held 1864 so the other one must be the senior one which I think is connect to Sarah Jones
Then connected to Mary Ann Hughes in 1869 but that one states its a William George held whom married Mary Ann jelfand also there was a mention of a voyage
From Southampton and American trip in the 1800,s
So whom was the most senior George William ,and I know he had a son and a grand son named George whom was hurried in within
But what I am after is the George William senior born 1838 where was he married or where born and possible marrying whom first

Sarah Jones where was she from or is it Mary Anne
One again guys thank you for all your valuable time in reading my plight of this thread best wishes Alan,,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Alan, the only one I can find married to Sarah Jones is just George Jelfs and was born 1840 so was 20 when he married Sarah. In 1861 they were living Cromwell Street Aston (gun barrell grinder) then 1871 living Phillip Street with Sarah, Emily aged 10; George 6; Sarah A 2 and Henry 8 months. George died 1883 Aston. Where does Mary Ann Hughes come into this?

Alan info about the marriage.

NAME:
George Jelffs
BIRTH YEAR:
abt 1840
MARRIAGE DATE:
9 Apr 1860
MARRIAGE PLACE:
Aston, St Peter and St Paul, Warwickshire, England
SPOUSE:
Sarah Jones
FATHER:
Joseph Jelffs
SPOUSE'S FATHER:
Francis Jones

Carolina you beat me to it! Mary Ann is mentioned on Familysearch, the free Mormon website, but not on Ancestry. Can't be sure of the connection, there are several children.
There's a George William Jelf for 1851 living as a "servant" errand-boy at 73 Steelhouse Lane, aged 14.
Transcriptions seem to be for Jelfs not Jelf.
I hope this helps a little, Alan, you could do with some good news after the time you've had lately!!
Best Wishes,
rosie.

Hi carol and Rosie
Many thanks for your fast replies on this guy I am currently decipher the lady Mary Ann jelf because she seems to be the scarlet woman
Within the jelfs family to what I have received just 24 hours ago it seems she and married William first according to the paper I got yesterday
And after at some point Sarah Jones disappeared now whether she died or not I do not know

Then she is married to George William held whom died in September 15 the my birthday and apparently she died in 16 the sept 1946
But also in my records she as lived with Charles all over the place it was the younger one of George junior as I call him
Was the errand boy but Mary had lived with most of the family all her life but I am highly certain her mother was from stoke prior
I have almost and I thought I had the lot of them jelfs but the starting of jelfs was 1864 this George is early than him
Also may I had in those days roseie carol on the letter it was spelt with the two ways jelffs and held married to Sarah Jones which I had originally
The jelfs was around the city centre of Birmingham for years so it had to be this senior held whom I never had recorded
With his resturaunt in the arcade as mom said whom bought it from Patterson and Hughes it was Patterson whom owned it
They have always been close to the city centre snow hill new canal street And AB row big dwelling
And it was this senior held from honeybourne whom came to brum and set up there home and business there
On Holly lane and Tyburn red where they had a wholesale ware house and then I prusume after or henry was born and he got involved
And then they expanded I have met some one whom was a cousin and shown me there house grounds and huge lawns
And it was a three tear high massive fountain in the garden it was as big as the fountain out side the town hall
This is 1800#<<s but also I am trying to pin him down to a huge house in hands worth with a couple of servants
And one of them had one in beautford red behind the plough and harrow pub in the 1900s with a huge house and butler
As I was told by one senior member at the central library area years back when I started he helped me out
And he said about this house in Salford prior village as it was then there was a couple of girls living there one was Mary and Hughes
She had a child but according to the nice guy in the library said it had to be a big house as there are no men mentioniond
On the electrol nor cencus for that night so Mrs branigan I think it was and knowing the village it was a big house as there rest would have been small
Well guys I have to shoot off now got to fetch the old Dutch ESS if late she will bend my ear
I did have some news the water board are settling out of court big time only because we have an excellent neibour and councillor whom witnessed it
And videoed the flooding but also I have had a member contact me and they are a long lost cousin whom emailed me today
Whom I never met and so I will be emailing her tonight thanks to you guys and the forum
If possible is there any form of obtaining a pasengers travel listing from records as I believe in 1800s I think he came from america
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,,

Hi Carolina
Thanks again for your reply but can you tell me where was st peters and st Paul's Aston ,Warwickshire was it had to be before my time
Best wishes Alan,,,,,Astonian,,,,,,

Hi Carolina
Many thanks for down loading and governing me the info, of where the church was and I have down loaded the info,for future reference
But I have to say I was completely shocked and surprised the way you put as peters because I grew up in that church along with my An esters
From before my time whom was Associated to that church because its original Aston parish church And I can only think
This almergation with nechells happen end years later to combine it with As peters and Paul's we never ever had integration
With other church was this formed in may be early sixties or seventys
The only integration of folks was from Aston population and the congreavation of Dyson Hall church neibours whom came to Aston parish church
And may I had that I know Aston parish church by being a choir boy there for years along with my two older brothers
Along with a lad by the name of Raymond Jarrett and John Lloyed we got five Bob week for singing there at Aston parish church
Played by the choir mistress miss rice and miss Burrows whom played the organ
We all lived up the Cromwell terrace on Lichfield road next to Thompsons the butchers and Aston the cake shop at the bottom of our terrace
All except John Alloyed from white house street there was talk in those days that his parents had connections to the blue blood brigade
And my nan my fathers mother lived next door to them
The Aston parish church windows are fantastic I have stared at those windows for years when I was in the choir
And I do know the church and the grounds like the back of my hand and the history of the church but I have to admitted
I never knew about it being called ss peters and st Paul's so I presume it was the early years as it said 1700/1800s
Carol I have to admitted I went there one Sunday morning about four years ago on a Sunday morning and I was disappointed
In what I saw inside it was rough it had chicken wire above the aisles and it looked disgusting I thought it was ashamed to she it
Completely out of character I do not think the huge bras eagle for reading from was still there
I met one person whom I think was in charge and they was having cake and coffee before the service where we used to keep the prayer books
And whilst we was doing that chatting and drinking I told him of my connections to the church and my family connection
And he said whilst we all adults back here they are doing a kids service ,well I thought
In my time we all sang and prayed together what kind of church is it now I thought I never went back again
I from time to time do go down that way off the motor way passing the church and I still and have a moment of thoughts such memory
I was born and baptized in there and all my brothers and sister and all my connecting family tree to our family and relies all got married there over the centuries
There was some very old head stones there going back To the 1700/and 1800/early 1900s in that church yard and there was real spirits knocking about around the back of the church one evening there was on a Sunday evening around eight o'clock there was a very old lady witch looking
Laying across one grave and standing up with a candielar in her hands around the died of the church people phone the police at Victoria red
And the pro.ice brought the fire brigade with big search lights and dogs but she disappeared we was whatching her perform
Never found her but there had been many spiritual carrying on there to be seen and heard
Any way Carolina , many thanks for informing me of the where abluts of the church you mentioned as sspeters and Paul's
It goes to say you learn some think every day and the first vicar of the church became the first vicar of Birmingham to become the cannon of brum
Best wishes Alan,,, Astonian,,,,

Back