• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Interesting item on Ebay....

Crikey,I'm thinking of those American scouts in their Red jackets and how a 15year old girl drooled.
Oh! where are my blood pressure tablets.

Alberta, snap....I have made reference somewhere on this forum about my
working for British Railways as it was then and I had to be on site at Sutton Park on some days. In the evenings I would go with my friend Margaret and we found a couple of older American scouts to hang out with. I was almost l6 at the time. There was a lot of jealousy from other older scouts at the Jamboree about the Americans since their camping equipment in many cases was light years ahead of other countries and, of course, the known fact that they had more spending money than other Scouts. When walking around the site we had a bucket of water thrown over us due to jealousy. The American contingent did get washed out due the the awful rainy weather.

I wrote to my American friend, Dallas. who was from North Carolina for at least a year. In recent years I tracked him down on the Internet and he is still very much involved in Scouting and has been to Jamboree`s in Australia He also attended the 50th Anniversary Jamboree held last summer in the London area.

Back