• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Inserting URLs

Status
Not open for further replies.

sospiri

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Has anyone else had problems with this recently? Insert a URL and despite adding spaces and carriage returns, the rest of the text gets put into blue or purple and underlined and you can't stop it. Even posting and going into Edit Post does not remove it! It's only starting to occur over the last week or so. It's very frustrating and time wasting.

Maurice

Hi Maurice,

Whenever I post a URL in the edit box it has always turned blue and becomes a link see below
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=41947&p=489854#post489854

If I don't want it to be a link I insert some characters at the start of the URL see below
---https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=41947&p=489854#post489854

I think we all have slightly different settings on our computers and see slightly different views of the forum.

Phil

I thought URLs always did that as the idea of inserting one is to provide a hyperlink for someone else to use. If you just paste it (or type it) into your reply then it is fine.

Janice

One very minor thing I have problems with is the forum 'smilies'

I get one from the forum's smilie list and put it in the reply edit box but when I post it the little blighter has run off and disappeared !
I have to use other methods to make the smilie behave itself and stay in my post.

Smilie Test

Smilie 1 can anyone see it at the end of this line .....

Smilie 2 made to behave itself with a URL and stay in this post, can anyone see it at the end of this line .....
friendly_wink.png

Because we all use different set ups maybe what I can see is not what other members see !
On my computer, Smilie 1 as disappeared from my post. If others can see Smilie 1 above then my settings must be wrong.

This well behaved Smilie 3 is locked up in my computer but perhaps only I can see it ! ...
uc

oldmohawk

Thanks Dave - My edit box is shown below and Smilie 1 is in it but when I post he runs off and disappears !

Smilie 2 is still in his URL form in my edit box below but will appear when he is posted.
Captures.JPG

Smilie 3 must be hiding in my computer although I know he has been seen on other computers.

ps ... I've just clicked on a forum advert for a mini digger hire at £75 is that cheap ?

If I paste in a URL it pastes in the text and not the link. If I want to paste in a link I have to select the text and use the little symbol to bring up the insert link box and paste it there. If you paste a link into something it will show as blue or purple depending on whether or not the page you've linked to is still in the browser's cache (memory). It may show up as other colours if you've changed the settings on the browser. If the link extends beyond the text you want it to cover, make sure there is a space between the two pieces of text, select the text you want to unlink and click the symbol of the globe with the red x.

It strange, whenever I read one of farmerdave's posts I seem to get forum adverts for tractors, diggers, and red diesel ... It might be a coincidence but who knows with internet links and Google's targeting ...
friendly_wink.png

Phil, I can see both Smilie 2 & 3 but not 1.
Ah - the problem is different now - all this text and my name was getting underlined & put into purple (or blue). Now it has magically stopped.

Maurice

Hi Maurice, I suppose computers are at bit magic but they sometimes have glitches and then cure themselves. I'm glad your computer has passed the Smilie 3 test!

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back