• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

IN OUR GARDEN 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
As part of the smooth running of the Forum it is our policy that a Moderator will set up a recurring thread in general Discussion at the start of each year.
Sadly in the last few weeks of December moderators had to delete many very off topic posts on the Gardening thread including a couple of contentious ones that meant a ban for a member.

Hence the new title In Our Garden 2023.

Like many of our members I look forward to your posts and photos of your gardens including the wildlife that visit you.

Happy New Year. Alberta

A found a few signs of life, and a wee bit of colour, in the garden this morning.

The new leaves on the Buddlia have been nipped by the cold wind.

Talking of wind, how on earth the Phormium spike is still standing, I don't know, but it is.

Without doubt, the best things in the garden this morning, were these two. :D

Steve.

no colour yet in my garden but i hope to put that right soon...i had a lovely large wooden wheelbarrow as a christmas present so cant wait to plant it out..keeping it indoors for the min as i need to get some wood preserve first..

lyn

Robin sees me go in to the garage, I say garage loosely, and he slips in under the roof and sometimes sings on a ladder in the rafters then comes down to get first pick. I took a video but the file is too big. I am also unable to open most of your attachments now unless they appear already opened. mac is ageing. Robins are much bigger than I thought, close up.

Attachments

• 20230116_132856.jpg
    20230116_132856.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230116_151401.jpg
    20230116_151401.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230116_151451.jpg
    20230116_151451.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 29
Robin sees me go in to the garage, I say garage loosely, and he slips in under the roof and sometimes sings on a ladder in the rafters then comes down to get first pick. I took a video but the file is too big. I am also unable to open most of your attachments now unless they appear already opened. mac is ageing. Robins are much bigger than I thought, close up.
Great photos. Your use of tin to stand separate pots might solve my problems with wood pigeons on our bird table. Tin&Pot.

Our resident Robin has decided it is HIS garden woe betide any bluetit , sparrow , blackbird or even pigeon that dares to visit he sees them off.
Must be related to the toughnut in our garden. He comes to the kitchen when I turn the kettle on in the morning and sits on my window ledge when retiring at dusk. I am a little obsessed by him.

I listen to "Gardener's Question Time" on R4 on which they blather on about jobs we should be doing in the winter months. I'm cold in the house so sod going out to tidy up stuff .. it can wait 'til the first signs of spring. Having said that, I was on my ladders this morning IN THE SNOW fixing the central heating flue!

Our jobs have been wrapping various plants in a white protective cover. This is to protect against the cold spell we have been promised, and also against the deer wandering in during the night that we have seen on our camera. Sorry about the quality, it is a frame from a video in night mode.
deer in garden.jpg
They come in ones or twos, never more. We also have a visiting fox, and a regular cat from over the road, hopefully keeping our mice under control. Last night it was raining heavily, and the cat was obviously not happy as (s)he rushed across the screen heading for the underside of the car.

Our resident Robin has decided it is HIS garden woe betide any bluetit , sparrow , blackbird or even pigeon that dares to visit he sees them off.
Over here, the robins are very much back of the queue. Very timid. We are used to them in the UK perching on the handle of a spade, almost while we are using it ! Here they stay hiding until they are sure the garden is completely clear. We only see them through the window.

Andrew.

Our jobs have been wrapping various plants in a white protective cover. This is to protect against the cold spell we have been promised, and also against the deer wandering in during the night that we have seen on our camera. Sorry about the quality, it is a frame from a video in night mode.
View attachment 177221
They come in ones or twos, never more. We also have a visiting fox, and a regular cat from over the road, hopefully keeping our mice under control. Last night it was raining heavily, and the cat was obviously not happy as (s)he rushed across the screen heading for the underside of the car.

Over here, the robins are very much back of the queue. Very timid. We are used to them in the UK perching on the handle of a spade, almost while we are using it ! Here they stay hiding until they are sure the garden is completely clear. We only see them through the window.

Andrew.
Is it muntjac? We get them here in East Suffolk.We have seen a few dead on the roadsides this week.

Is it muntjac? We get them here in East Suffolk.We have seen a few dead on the roadsides this week.
I don't think so, it is most likely a roe deer which are the common species around here. We have seen them in daytime in the far corner of the field. My recollection of muntjac is that they are quite small, labrador sized. I see where you are coming from though, the black and white low quality image, and the lack of scale makes it difficult to be definite. I sincerely hope you are not offended, but a deer on the side of the road here would be in the back of a van in short order, and on the table after an appropriate delay.
Andrew.

Julie picked up a couple of fat lumps for feeding birds on Monday. About 50mm diameter by 150mm long. Solid block. Put one out yesterday, half gone today thanks to the local woodpecker, nothing else gets a look in. It is interesting to see it peck a lump off, then tip the head back to help it go down the throat. Keeps it off the seeds and sunflower hearts so the smaller birds get a chance. Probably the one that took the bottom out of one of our bird boxes last year after I put a metal protection round the hole in the front. Mostly tits and finches, although Julie saw a dunnock today, quite rare in this garden.

One thing we have noticed this year as standing out. We have a seed tray suckered on the outside of the window, and the birds are queueing up on the vertical edge of the window opening, drop down to the feeder, get a seed and leave, next in line ditto. It has happened before at odd times, but this year it is the standard protocol. Julie opens the window (inwards here) to refill the feeder, and the birds will wait in a bush about a metre away until the window is closed, she doesn't have to move away, and they restart the feeding frenzy.

Andrew.

I don't think so, it is most likely a roe deer which are the common species around here. We have seen them in daytime in the far corner of the field. My recollection of muntjac is that they are quite small, labrador sized. I see where you are coming from though, the black and white low quality image, and the lack of scale makes it difficult to be definite. I sincerely hope you are not offended, but a deer on the side of the road here would be in the back of a van in short order, and on the table after an appropriate delay.
Andrew.
there are loads of roe here on the estate and foxes that make a mess of the rd kill

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back