• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Icknield Street Crematorium

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi guys
It is a long shot of a request but as anybody got a picture of the ickneild street. Crem as it was a fine big looking
Building it was on the ickneld street end of the war stone lane cemetery
You would enter the front entrance of the ickneld street com by to huge iron gates stuck with two huge. Pillars
And you would have driven up the drive to be confronted by the big huge crem and on entry you had to walk up
A series of steps and they was steep. And to big huge glass doors to go through
It was a roman looking building. But they did stop using it for many decades I think it was large fiftys since it was laser used
I believe it was still there in 1960/1 not longer after wards it was demoed
May be Wendy or Brian may be help on this if possible or at least Brian may have an in put
Many thanks best wishes astonian,,Alan,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: ickneild street crematoriam

Alan,

Is this the place you mean, I didn't realise it was a Crematorium.

Attachments

• Hockley Key Hill Cemetery.jpg
    Hockley Key Hill Cemetery.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Hockley Key Hill Cemetery Temple.jpg
    Hockley Key Hill Cemetery Temple.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Hockley Key Hill Chapel.JPG
    Hockley Key Hill Chapel.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 25

Hi Alan and Phil, as far as I know the Cemetery at Key Hill was never a crematorium just the chapel, and the same at Warstone Lane Cemetery next to it which had St.Michael's Chapel.
There are some more pictures on www.fkwc.org/
I hope this helps.
rosie.

HI PHIL ROSIE
Thats the excact one the building i have requested yes was a crem as wel in the early 1800 /1900s
but the practice was stopped for what ever the reason since around that period then it was just a chapel for receiving the body
i lved along the road from it as a kid and always in and out of there for one reason or another it ha that roman architect in my eyes
when i was a kid and going in and out of the cem . along around key entrance and in and out of warstone lane when it was all railing around it
and i also recall when they took away all the railing warstone lane and ickneild street and pitford street was the first to go
and afew years later the building then the rest of the railings from that point much to our amazement but we was aware it was not been used for afew years
i think it was in the fortys it had the last one also there was some grand head stones and well kept but they also disapeared in the seventys i think it was
we beleive it was the far side of yester years by the rail way end that they starte to do and place the paupers graves
as the story went , and at some point possible in the thirtys they started to place them more to key hill end entrace gate i do have a map
which i got from handsworth cem with the paupers listing for the ones of 1800s where upon one of my mothers family grave belonging to her fathers brother
whom lived in the courts at five ways in the 1800 of edgbaston it is lsted in the records in a draw at the central libary where i found it
but when the time for me to go and se the paupes graves this particular one had been removed there is some remaing paupers graves still there but not mine
i would dearly love to get involved wit5h the key hill cemetry as i have always had the intrest since my boy hood days as a local
it holds alot of history and of intrest i do have alot of picts that i taken myself years ago ;
but any way rosie and phil ; thanks for putting them up i will get a copy of them if you do not mind thanks a million alan ,, astonian;;

Alan, Icknield Street was never a Crematorium, in fact there were no crematoria in Birmingham until 1903 a year after the 1902 Cremation Act and the first one built was at Perry Barr ,others followed later.
I believe the next one was Lodge hill which opened in 1930 although the first cremation was in 1937,

Last edited:
Back