• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hunters Road Hockley

At Watsons in Villa Street we had the priest from there as a customer and a younger chap (don't know what the RCs call their junior priests) the boss man had a Morris 10 and the young guy had a BSA motor bike.

Our workshop foreman John Rice and his family were parishioners.

Can anyone help me with a photo of Hunters Road please? My family lived there from 1943 to 1954, we lived down the alley at the side of the "Bridge Tavern". At the bottom of the alley was a firm called Savilles that cleaned out beer barrels, and a firm that made gravestones, I think they were called Teroni, or something like that.

Attachments

• B301CF92-1812-4580-BFF4-14DF8317B40F.jpeg
    B301CF92-1812-4580-BFF4-14DF8317B40F.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 26
Hello all! This looks like a perfect place to ask a question - perhaps you can help?
I've got an antique police whistle which has been in my family 'forever'.
Its inscribed: CITY POLICE / RA WALTON / 14 HUNTERS ROAD / HOCKLEY / BIRMINGHAM / PATENT.
So do you think No.14 was a commercial premise - a shop or a factory?
I'd love to hear any info you might have!

DSCN7634.JPG

hi brockoo and welcome..i would think the whistle is quite rare...hudsons the firm who took over from waltons are still trading just around the corner in barr st ..could i ask is this a family heirloom?

lyn

hi brockoo and welcome..i would think the whistle is quite rare...hudsons the firm who took over from waltons are still trading just around the corner in barr st ..could i ask is this a family heirloom?

lyn
Hiya!
I've just spent an hour down a Hudsons rabbit hole - I didn't have a clue who they - or even Acme are! I've yet to find any other info on Waltons though.
I suppose the whistle is an heirloom, yes - it was my great granddad's, he died back in the 40's; but was a plasterer not a policeman, and came from London not Birmingham!

Is there? (...but as they say on Antiques Roadshow...'I'd never sell it!')
so pleased to hear you would never sell the whistle...no matter what it is worth it is a family treasure...as your gt grandad was not a policeman maybe he just picked it up on his travels...

lyn

From info on one site selling one (https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/hard-find-walton-police-whistle-dated-270158814)

Police Whistle Dated 1901 fair condition, not dents kept in drawer since 1920 and no cleaned Inscribed R A WALTON 134 HUNTERS ROAD HOCKLEY BIRMINGHAM PATENT Then there’s a picture of the crows foot 1901 R A Walton ( Richard Arthur Walton ), Whistle Manufacturer located at 14 Hunters Road, Hockley, Birmingham, England whistle maker who made whistles from 1882 to 1904; He was making whistles under his own name for only 6 years, 1898 to 1904.

thanks mike is that a typo...you have put 134 hunters road...if waltons were only making whistles for 6 years that deffo makes it rare i would think

lyn

From info on one site selling one (https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/hard-find-walton-police-whistle-dated-270158814)

Police Whistle Dated 1901 fair condition, not dents kept in drawer since 1920 and no cleaned Inscribed R A WALTON 134 HUNTERS ROAD HOCKLEY BIRMINGHAM PATENT Then there’s a picture of the crows foot 1901 R A Walton ( Richard Arthur Walton ), Whistle Manufacturer located at 14 Hunters Road, Hockley, Birmingham, England whistle maker who made whistles from 1882 to 1904; He was making whistles under his own name for only 6 years, 1898 to 1904.
Interesting, thank you. That ones still nice and silvery. (Its quite fascinating how alike it is to the Hudson model. I can see I'm going to become a whistle bore ha ha!)

thanks mike is that a typo...you have put 134 hunters road...if waltons were only making whistles for 6 years that deffo makes it rare i would think

lyn
Yeah! Nice! I was using it during the Thursday NHS clap!
I looked on the the old Street View but couldn't determine where no.14 is/was.

i have already asked our map expert mike for a map showing where no 14 was but i have a feeling its long gone..will get back to you hopefully with a map.

lyn

happy to help i was bought up just around the corner from hunters road so any history to do with that area i am interested in

lyn

happy to help i was bought up just around the corner from hunters road so any history to do with that area i am interested in

lyn
I enjoy learning about different places - I'll prob never know how my ggd came to own the whistle but its so much more than that - I appreciate it as an object so to understand where it comes from is important.
Got to take the dog out now... might go and give it a toot in the dark ha ha!

Rob
You are correct as to where no 14 was after about 1910. But before this time there were two Hunters roads, one in Handsworth and one running into the other in Aston and the numbering was quite chaotic . On the Aston one there is no number 14 listed in directories at the position you show ,though presumably there likel was a building so numbered. but there is a no 14 listed further up close to Wills St. The two roads were later combined and renumbered. what was no 14 near Wills St became no 144. (Possibly the no 134 given on the earlier mentioned site meant 144 which was what the house later became?), the position of this no 14 is given on the map below.
Lyn
I was copying directly from the original which says 134.
But there is a bit of a problem. I cannot find R.A.Walton listed in Kellys in 1882,1883,1888,1890, 1892.1895.1896.1897.1899,1900,1903. There is no number 14 listed as a business where Rob has marked on the map, though presumably it is likely from the numbering that there is a no 14 there. Further up the road there is another no 14 listed as a private residence of Miss Walker. Going by the census of 1892 , this was a boarding house (housing teachers, watchmakers and a clerk).
But whichever no 14 is meant as the address of R.A Walton, it does not seem to be listed in any directory I have access to and I can find no reference to the firm in the Newspaper archives. Could Mr Walton perhaps be having his whistles manufactured by an outside firm and just putting his name to them?
It is a mystery.

map c 1889 showing 14 Hunters Lane, later road.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for taking the time on this one mike...as you say its a bit of a mystery

lyn

Rob
You are correct as to where no 14 was after about 1910. But before this time there were two Hunters roads, one in Handsworth and one running into the other in Aston and the numbering was quite chaotic . On the Aston one there is no number 14 listed in directories at the position you show ,though presumably there likel was a building so numbered. but there is a no 14 listed further up close to Wills St. The two roads were later combined and renumbered. what was no 14 near Wills St became no 144. (Possibly the no 134 given on the earlier mentioned site meant 144 which was what the house later became?), the position of this no 14 is given on the map below.
Lyn
I was copying directly from the original which says 134.
But there is a bit of a problem. I cannot find R.A.Walton listed in Kellys in 1882,1883,1888,1890, 1892.1895.1896.1897.1899,1900,1903. There is no number 14 listed as a business where Rob has marked on the map, though presumably it is likely from the numbering that there is a no 14 there. Further up the road there is another no 14 listed as a private residence of Miss Walker. Going by the census of 1892 , this was a boarding house (housing teachers, watchmakers and a clerk).
But whichever no 14 is meant as the address of R.A Walton, it does not seem to be listed in any directory I have access to and I can find no reference to the firm in the Newspaper archives. Could Mr Walton perhaps be having his whistles manufactured by an outside firm and just putting his name to them?
It is a mystery.

View attachment 153460
Really interesting stuff here - and I love the old maps. I really appreciate everyone's involvement, and perhaps it adds a bit of hidden history for yourselves!

nice photo two cant remember if i have seen it before but it matters not...shows st marys convent on the left ..on the right is the house of the famous john hardman which loops around into naden road...all houses on the left now gone it would be nursery road first left although when this photo was taken it could still have been called nursery terrace ..nice to see albeit a hazy look towards the bottom end of hunters road before h samuel was built...todays st view below...do you have an exact date two?

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: Two
nice photo two cant remember if i have seen it before but it matters not...shows st marys convent on the left ..on the right is the house of the famous john hardman which loops around into naden road...all houses on the left now gone it would be nursery road first left although when this photo was taken it could still have been called nursery terrace ..nice to see albeit a hazy look towards the bottom end of hunters road before h samuel was built...todays st view below...do you have an exact date two?

Sorry - No Date - George V - Half Penny Postage Stamp on Rear.

Back