• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hornblower William Benjamin 1822

hi suzy and welcome...i am sure it is just an oversight but when asking for help from other members it is always nice to have a please/thank you as it does go a long way..

where have you got with your research..have you tried ancestry or find my past ?

lyn

Hi astonnes I appreciate your reply ,this is the first time I have come across this site .and completely new to genealogy and haven't tried any other sites as yet ,I received an email with regards to William Hornblower..I do know that my grandfather took his wife's name of Radford from Hornblower so any information would be invaluable thank you

Can't see a William Benjamin Hornblower b1882. There is a Benjamin William Hornblower b1851 that marries a Caroline Radford in 1881.

Possibly just a coincidence.

Hi astonnes I appreciate your reply ,this is the first time I have come across this site .and completely new to genealogy and haven't tried any other sites as yet ,I received an email with regards to William Hornblower..I do know that my grandfather took his wife's name of Radford from Hornblower so any information would be invaluable thank you
hi suzy you could join ancestry for a month and see how you get on as doing your own research can be very rewarding...however i am sure a couple of our members could take a quick look to set you on the right track

Can't see a William Benjamin Hornblower b1882. There is a Benjamin William Hornblower b1851 that marries a Caroline Radford in 1881.

Possibly just a coincidence.
Yes it's Caroline Radford that's the one thank you I was only going off the date that was in the email I got they must of had it wrong thank you very much for clearing that up for me

hi suzy you could join ancestry for a month and see how you get on as doing your own research can be very rewarding...however i am sure a couple of our members could take a quick look to set you on the right track
That sounds like a great idea thank you I'm sure I will find my way round eventually ...and any help from members would be greatly appreciated

Yes it's Caroline Radford that's the one thank you I was only going off the date that was in the email I got they must of had it wrong thank you very much for clearing that up for me

Benjamin was the son of an Edward Hornblower and a Rebecca Slim.

He was a engraver/toolmaker and died 26 Mar 1899.

Edward was a licensed victualler and appears to have run the Globe Tavern on Great Barr St for many years.

0 - Globe Tavern.jpg

Last edited:
In directories dated 1882-1892 (not in 1880) Benjamin William Hornblower is listed as an engraver (or in later part of that time as die sinker, letter cutter and engraver) at 7 Regent Parade. in the 1892 edition he has added patentee and stamper, which would mean he has patented some process. In 1895-1900 he has moved to 40 St Paul's Square, and not mentioned in the 1903 edition. You should note that date is publication date and likely refers to year before

In directories dated 1882-1892 (not in 1880) Benjamin William Hornblower is listed as an engraver (or in later part of that time as die sinker, letter cutter and engraver) at 7 Regent Parade. in the 1892 edition he has added patentee and stamper, which would mean he has patented some process. In 1895-1900 he has moved to 40 St Paul's Square, and not mentioned in the 1903 edition. You should note that date is publication date and likely refers to year before
Thank you so much for the information

Benjamin was the son of an Edward Hornblower and a Rebecca Slim.

He was a engraver/toolmaker and died 26 Mar 1899.

Edward was a licensed victualler and appears to have run the Globe Tavern on Great Barr St for many years.

View attachment 189243
hi mark what is the name of the rd or st on the right and the name of the lane on the left please i am trying to find out name of the lane whichi dont think exists now. the globe pub looks as though it was quite a large pub trying to find a photo of it..for suzy .thanks

lyn

Last edited:
Back