• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Horace Budd Book Shop 1950s

Springerbudd

Brummie babby
Hi, I’m doing some research into my family history and would love to see a photo of Horace Budd’s second hand book shop that used to be on Bristol Street I believe opposite the Horse Fair. I know it was open around 1950s. He was also a poet and wrote Midland Measure. Any information and especially photos would be appreciated. Thank you.

There a couple of newspaper articles mentioning Horace Budd, one appears to list his shop at 44 Horsefair.

Thank you. Where could I see these articles? Would also love to get some photos of book shop and of Horace if possible.

The articles are on findmypast, you need to subscribe to see full article, I can only see the search results' summery.

Here is a photo of Horse Fair (post #26). I think it is looking towards Smallbrook St and John Bright St. If so no. 44 would have been on the right just beyond the white building. However, it's before my time so I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is the same photo again with a modern comparison so I think I might be correct...

Though looking at the map, it's possible it may have been demolished by then.

1955 Kelly's shows the shop at 44 & 45 Horsefair
Budd Horace.PNG
Shows 48-49 as Bull's Head so is Horace Budd's shop shown here? Or is it the other side of the pub?
No this was Smallbrook St, Scala Theatre was at 57 & 58 Smallbrook St,
Bulls Head at 52 Smallbrook St/48 & 49 Horsefair

birmingham_b1_bullshead.jpg

Last edited:
Two more nearly but not quite, pictures of the Bulls Head so again just out of shot to the right..,

Another picture of the area at that time.

Attachments

• Screenshot (416).png
    Screenshot (416).png
    332.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Back