• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Holtham

dottieau

master brummie
Hi I hope you can point me in the right direction. I am trying to find William Albert Holtham. DOB 1880. I can not find him on any census forms but I did find a possible in the service records this person joined 31/8/1914 his number was 11988. he joined in Birmingham and from what I can find out his children were born in Aston
Thank you from Dorothy

Hi Dorothy.

Can I ask please, where did you get his date of birth from? The reason I ask, is because I have been unable to find a registration for him between 1875 and 1885.

barrie

Hi Barrie I got the birth date from the ancestry site were you look up and see the forms where the men joined up for the 1st world war. I will have to go back and check it. I could have made a mistake. Thanks for your help
Dorothy

I found a William Holtham on the 1901 census in Brum - married and aged 25. This would have made him about 40 when he signed up for the war (if this is him). Men (and boys) lied about their age sometimes when they signed up - 40 may have been too old to enlist, so he may have given an incorrect birth date.

Just a thought

William A Holtham in 1891. Ancestry transcribed him as William D, but looking at the original it is an A and not a D. William Senior was a Boot Finisher

Name:William D Holtham
Relation:Son
Father's Name:William
Mother's Name:Emily
Where born:Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Ecclesiastical parish:St Jude
Street address:Court 3 No. 3 Centre Row

Sub-registration district:St Martin
Household Members:Name Age
Emily Holtham 34
Emily J Holtham 11
Frank Holtham 8
Rosa Holtham 6 born Wolverhampton staffs
William Holtham 37
William A Holtham 15

This looks like the family in 1881 living in Oadby Leicester (Funny but I have friend who lives in Oadby).
Household:
Name RelationMarital StatusGenderAgeBirthplaceOccupationDisability
William HOLTHAM Head M Male 27 Birmingham, Warwick, England Shoe Hand Finisher
Emily HOLTHAM Wife M Female 24 Birmingham, Warwick, England Dressmaker
William A. HOLTHAM Son Male 5 Birmingham, Warwick, England Scholar
Emily J. HOLTHAM Daur Female 1 Birmingham, Warwick, England
Source Information:
Dwelling Rawlings Yd
Census Place Oadby, Leicester, England.

If it's the right family here is the marriage of William and Emily:
Marriages Dec 1874
GISBORN Emily Birmingham 6d220
Holtham William Birmingham 6d220

Pom :angel:

Thanks for all you reply's its so good of you. Barrie I have looked up that service information again here is what it says.
William Holtham
Parish st Thomas
Birmingham
Warwick
Age 34years and 286 days. it also says he was a brass worker.
Pomgolian and Di I had been looking towards this family but the D was throwing me.
Dorothy

Looks like he did give the wrong birth date when he enlisted. At the start of WW1 I think the upper age limit was 38 - that would explain why he did it.

Here are the 1901 census details. I think they are for your William as he is a brass worker and the right age.

Warwickshire 1901 Census Transcript
Address Folio Ref
246 Dartmouth Street, Duddeston RG13/2871/~F58
Surname Forename Age Relation Occupation

Holtham Ada 23 Wife Corn Maker

Holtham Ada 1 Daughter -

Holtham William 25 Head Brass Founder Dresser

Birth Place for all 3 - Birmingham, Warwickshire

Thank you Beatrice for your reply I will look into this William. It not easy when you don't have any details about the family and nobody to ask. Thanks for your help.
Dorothy

William Holtham married in Aston in 1897 June/July/ August qtr
reference volume 6d page 523

There are 2 males and 1 female entry so 1 female spouse is missing.

On the same page Volume 6d page 523 Sept qtr there is
Ada Emily Head and I have a feeling that the GRO index has it wrong with the qtr(this would not be the first time).

Ada Emily Head was born Aston 1878 making her 23 in 1901.

I am even more convinced when seeing the entry for birth of
Ada Emily Holtham in 1900 ref.6d 352

Her birth certificate will give more details.
Order online at www.gro.gov.uk

Dorothy,forgive my ramblings but it my way of carrying out a bit of detective work and it has often worked,lol.

Like Barrie I checked for William Holtham in the years 1875/1885 and found nothing.However in Dec 1875 there is entry for William Albert Holtom born birmingham.ref 6d 82

I have looked for death and marriage of this William Albert and found nothing so it could be a mis-spelling?

This birth entry (Holtom) would fit in with William age 5 in1881 as his 6th birthday would not be until DEc 1881.

Always find that when it comes to family history anything is worth a try.

Alberta thank you so much for your help. what you have given me might explain why I cannot find this family on the 1901 census. perhaps there might be a spelling error. I will give that a try. I am convinced this is my William. Thank you from Dorothy.

This looks like the family in 1881 living in Oadby Leicester (Funny but I have friend who lives in Oadby).
Household:
Name RelationMarital StatusGenderAgeBirthplaceOccupationDisability
William HOLTHAM Head M Male 27 Birmingham, Warwick, England Shoe Hand Finisher
Emily HOLTHAM Wife M Female 24 Birmingham, Warwick, England Dressmaker
William A. HOLTHAM Son Male 5 Birmingham, Warwick, England Scholar
Emily J. HOLTHAM Daur Female 1 Birmingham, Warwick, England
Source Information:
Dwelling Rawlings Yd
Census Place Oadby, Leicester, England.

If it's the right family here is the marriage of William and Emily:
Marriages Dec 1874
GISBORN Emily Birmingham 6d220
Holtham William Birmingham 6d220

Pom :angel:
HI Dorothy,
The above Holtham family are my great grandfather and grandmother the cenus is correct and the marriage , they lived in Aston Birmingham, if I can be any help please get in touch

Hi June
thanks for your reply these are also my husbands great grandparents his grand father was William A Holtham. I have send you a P M I am doing the his family for him.

My Grandad was a Holtham... Joseph Holtham and I think his family was mentioned above =) he was married to Emily up in Hall Green till the mid 90's when they died very close to each other =(
Cheers

My 5 times Great Grandmother was Elizabeth Holtham born in 1767 in Gloucestershire, Married Thomas Jarrett in Welford on Avon in Warwickshire. I have documents which list John Holtham Jarrett and it took me until 2023 to find a link to the Holtham name :D John Holtham Jarrett was born in Evesham, St Andrews Worcestshire in 1798. I have found a relative through his son Edwin Holton Jarrett and My 3 times Great Grandfather Thomas Jarrett here in Australia :D She would be like my 4th cousin (I think). Would be great to hear from others who are related to the same line.

Celeste

Back