• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hollygate Cafe, Handsworth

Jayell

master brummie
I was browsing through a book I have the other day and came across this photo of the Hollygate Cafe. Does anyone remember this? When I was about 13/14 it was a popular meeting place for my friends. The cafe was in Holly Road near the entrance to Handsworth Park. It didn't look quite as sedate as it does in the photo, in the 1950's though :D. It had a juke box which we all liked, and we would often go after a visit to Grove Lane Baths or the Park, or just if we were passing.

Last edited:
Allthough I have been there in my early courting days, my memory of the place is second-hand. About 60 years ago my mum told me how she and my dad went there - before they were married - and must have been larking about a bit, because her lighted ciggy dropped down the front of her blouse. So my dad - being a true cavalier - plunges in after it, to the disgust of the proprietor. Idon't remember if they were barred from going in again, but I don't think she ever did go in again.
Ah, standards have changed. Sometimes I miss the humbug, but I'm happier without it really!
Peter

Back