• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

hockley post office

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all...nice pic here of jack parkes and raymond gibbons waiting on the telegraph bays on their bikes at hockley post office...1959...ray is an old family friend and has not changed a bit..he comes out of hospital st....

astoness

courtesy of carl chinn birm lives.

My dad worked at Hockley Post Office. He was a postman from 1941 until he retired in around 1965. His name was George Charlesworth, I wonder if Ray remembers him?

charlie..i will ask ray if he remembers your dad next time i see him...

astoness

Nice photo Lyn, although I don't know the two men in it. I remember Hockley Post Office very well as in my first job from school I worked for Harry Astbury Electrical Engineers on Hockley Hill, and my job every night after work (not during working hours!) was to walk up the hill with the post to Hockley Post Office. This wasn't on my way home but in the opposite direction, but as the junior it was part of my job! That would have been in 1954.

Judy

Hi charlie dad started on the walks in 1957 and retired in 1999 ,he spent many years has a van driver but got knocked over while on his round ,this resulted in a brain injury but he went back to work after his operation,i remembered johhny fitter ,harry turberfield and geoge wilson ,we also used to go regulary to the post office club in birmingham
Sadly dads in a home now with alzimers he is now 73 years of age ,hopefully some od his friends will see this post thanks lyn

My dad was a bit earlier then Lyn., he was still working there in 1957 but retired around 1963 and died in 1970 aged 67. I can remember he was friends with a guy named ...Tildesley, who lived in Whitmore Street and Tom somebody who lived in Stamford Road (they went fishing together).
My best wishes to your dad..Alzheimers is an awful disease.

Hi Charlie thanks or reply and kind thoughts re dad i will keep popping onto site in case of any more threads,by the way noticed you lived in worcester,mom and dad lives in evesham thanks again lyn

Back