• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hockley Pentecostal Church

terryb18

Gone but not forgotten R.I.P.
This site took me back a bit https://www.hockleypentecostal.com/history/ This was where I had to go to sunday school every week, no getting out of it. I would'nt have missed it though. I remember the 2 teachers very well (Reeves and Fisher) but unfortunately I can't remember any of the other kids that used to go there. I have attached a picture showing an award I got for good attendance, It came with a bible. (2nd place) I did have one for 1st place but blowed if I can find it.

Terry

P.S. Does anyone know anything about Miss Reeves and Miss Fisher and what became of them?
P.P.S. I have replaced missing picture. 4/9/16

Attachments

• Hockley Pentecostal (Small).jpg
    Hockley Pentecostal (Small).jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I remember the 2 teachers very well (Reeves and Fisher)
P.S. Does anyone know anything about Miss Reeves and Miss Fisher and what became of them?
yes, when I used to visit it with friends, for the citywide popular meetings there on Saturday nights in the early 1980's they were still there, I think
both in their 80's then, and very well loved
it was a very friendly place to go...a bit hyper for shy old me, but some Saturday nights lifted me up, and those older ladies were very well respected, and, apparently, had done great work over the years [especially concerning kids Sunday schools..the cynicism I've read online, elsewhere, not here, even this week [re Christian missionaries and kids] may never understand that, sadly]

by the way
that sticker
I had one [or more] in Sunday school awards/books/bible from Park Lane Gospel Hall [Aston], where we were brought up [mom and dad Sunday school teachers/dad preacher there]
I think the stickers were got [and can still be got], from CLC bookshop in Stephenson St. city centre]

I used to go there quite often in the late 50s of an evening and even signed The Pledge (changed when I got to 18 though). I learned to recite all the 66 books of the bible and still can today, its a good party piece.

At the bottom of the page in that link I gave there is a link to download a book written by Fisher/Reeves in PDF form. Its called "Still it flows" and makes for an interesting read.

Terry

Terry thanks for the link it was lovely to pics of the two teachers again ..used to go twice every Sunday

Hi the church was still there although it was a new building the old church i think had gone it was very popular,Saturday evening meetings were great, late 80s, sadly Miss Reeves and Miss Fisher were no longer there,the Pastor was Miles Witherford i think i have the surname correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone remember the Christian Felowship in New St. off Newtown row, this is where I used to go as a child in about 1950 ish

Hi all,
I used to go to the Saturday evening meetings each week in the 80s and 90s. They were wonderful and very encouraging.
Miss Reeves and Miss Fisher would go roung and shake hands with every person there. Two lovely ladies and very well loved by everyone.
Miles Witherford was the Pastor at the time I went there. He later retired. The meetings were reduced to once every 3 weeks. I'm not sure if they are still being held.
Pam

Hi all,
I used to go to the Saturday evening meetings each week in the 80s and 90s. They were wonderful and very encouraging.
Miss Reeves and Miss Fisher would go roung and shake hands with every person there. Two lovely ladies and very well loved by everyone.
Miles Witherford was the Pastor at the time I went there. He later retired. The meetings were reduced to once every 3 weeks. I'm not sure if they are still being held.
Pam
Hi Saturday meeting were lovely, everybody so friendly and encouraging really set yo up for the week

This church in the 1930s used to be a regular spiritualist meeting place for all those spiritual people
My grand mother and relatives whom was spiritualists used to attend and they used to take my mother when she was young with them
I think it went on up until the late fortys as well

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked at HC Whitehead, Northampton Street (Jewelery Quarter) in the late 1950s, a chap who sat next to me, Leo (Mike?) a stocky lad, black curly hair (like a lions mane) used to be a regular churchgoer at this church on the flat, sadly I cannot remember his surname. but it seem most nights when work finished he would head off down there.

My Great Gran was very good friends with Miss fisher and miss Reeve and she along with my Nan and Mum attended the services every week. My Mum met my Dad there one Saturday so I was very interested to see the programme Jay walking with Sue Jay on youtube that terryb18 posted about. 6 minutes into the programme and my Great Grans face jumped out at me. She was 102 when she died in 1988 so I hadn't seen her for nearly 30 years....A very lovely emotional moment, Thank you.

My Great Gran was very good friends with Miss fisher and miss Reeve and she along with my Nan and Mum attended the services every week. My Mum met my Dad there one Saturday so I was very interested to see the programme Jay walking with Sue Jay on youtube that terryb18 posted about. 6 minutes into the programme and my Great Grans face jumped out at me. She was 102 when she died in 1988 so I hadn't seen her for nearly 30 years....A very lovely emotional moment, Thank you.

Thats nice, You could make 100 posts and nothing much happens and then that one post will make someones day, and it makes it all worth while.

Terry

Hi Folks - I'm in the process of producing a plan of The Flat (Lodge Road) c1955 using Kelly's, the church is listed as a Baptist Church, I lived nearby from 1949-59 and only remember it as The Pentecostal Church - can anyone confirm the date things changed?

Peg.

Hi Folks - I'm in the process of producing a plan of The Flat (Lodge Road) c1955 using Kelly's, the church is listed as a Baptist Church, I lived nearby from 1949-59 and only remember it as The Pentecostal Church - can anyone confirm the date things changed?

Peg.
Hi Peg,
My Mum and Dad met at Hockley Mission and married in 1957 so it must have changed late 55 or early 56 I'm sorry I don't know the exact date .Good luck.

Hi Peg,
My Mum and Dad met at Hockley Mission and married in 1957 so it must have changed late 55 or early 56 I'm sorry I don't know the exact date .Good luck.
Hi bevsi, welcome to The Forum. There were just 2 pieces missing from the jigsaw to finish my 1955 Plan of The Flat and you have just helped put one in place, let me explain: The 1955 Kelly's Directory (which has a preface dated October 1955), describes the church as Baptist Church (we now know it of course as the Hockley Pentecostal Church and now, I believe, it is known as The New Life Church.)

I spent the first 10 years of my life (1949-59) living in Heaton St which, as you may know, is almost opposite the church so my memory of The Flat is probably as good as it can be, allowing for the time lapse, and I had a dilemma insomuch my recollection of the church was at odds with Mr Kelly, as I never remember it as anything else other than The Pentecostal.

Now, assuming the Kelly's directory took 6 months to prepare (probably conservative estimate) means the info' contained therein can only be relied upon as being accurate, say, April 1955 so for the sake of accuracy The Plan will carry a note stating the Church changed late 1955-early 1956.

One minor point remains to be checked but I'm confident the plan will be issued shortly, it will be posted on the Lodge Road The Flat Thread and I will post an advisory note on this thread as there is obviously a strong link between The Flat and The Church.

Thanks again.

Peg.

Hi Folks, I've just posted a plan of The Flat on the Lodge Road The Flat Thread (#246) dated 1955 which shows The Church, this was about the time it changed from being a Baptist Church.

Peg.

This site took me back a bit https://www.hockleypentecostal.com/history/ This was where I had to go to sunday school every week, no getting out of it. I would'nt have missed it though. I remember the 2 teachers very well (Reeves and Fisher) but unfortunately I can't remember any of the other kids that used to go there. I have attached a picture showing an award I got for good attendance, It came with a bible. (2nd place) I did have one for 1st place but blowed if I can find it.

Terry

P.P.S. I have replaced missing picture. 4/9/16
Hi, I'm looking for more info on the church. The link on your post was not contactable. Do you know where I can get a copy of 'Still It Flows'. thanks Pam

I'm looking for a copy of 'Still It Flows' by Miss Reeves and Miss Fisher. Do you know where I can get one. Thanks pam

Back