• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hms Victory

Enjoy your books Ell! Viv.

I've only briefly browsed them so far!

Seems like I've been on the Nelson tour of England! I've even been to the village where he was born in Norfolk! Burnham Thorpe.

And last year I went to Greenwich, which had a few Nelson related items!

16th April 2014, the Mast`s still not replaced

Attachments

• 16th Wed 17th Thurs April 2014 Portsmouth 051.jpg
    16th Wed 17th Thurs April 2014 Portsmouth 051.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 16th Wed 17th Thurs April 2014 Portsmouth 052.jpg
    16th Wed 17th Thurs April 2014 Portsmouth 052.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 16th Wed 17th Thurs April 2014 Portsmouth 066.jpg
    16th Wed 17th Thurs April 2014 Portsmouth 066.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 14
​17th May 2015

Attachments

• 15th 16th 17th 18th 19th 20th May 2015 0479.jpg
    15th 16th 17th 18th 19th 20th May 2015 0479.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 16
I visited HMS Victory in March with friends one of which lives in the Black Country and it got us thinking where The Anchor was made for this ship we have been unable to find this information so my question is would anyone know on here. By the way I have searched but come up with nothing. My friend thinks it may of been Netherton where Titanics anchor was forged.

I visited HMS Victory in March with friends one of which lives in the Black Country and it got us thinking where The Anchor was made for this ship we have been unable to find this information so my question is would anyone know on here. By the way I have searched but come up with nothing. My friend thinks it may of been Netherton where Titanics anchor was forged.

Try sending a email might be lucky

https://www.hms-victory.com/contact-us

January 2016

Attachments

• 30th January 2016 Saturday 0604.jpg
    30th January 2016 Saturday 0604.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 30th January 2016 Saturday 0606.jpg
    30th January 2016 Saturday 0606.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 7
Some years ago I lost interest in painting and took up modelling, mainly period ships, eventually working up to complicated large scale models, attached are 2 pics of my model of the Victory, one before I attached sails (sewn by my sister) and one after. It is just under 4 feet from bowsprit to stern and took me one whole Winter about 10 years ago. It is now in the home of a favourite Niece

Attachments

• HMSVIC~1.JPG
    HMSVIC~1.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 24
  • HMSVIC~3.JPG
    HMSVIC~3.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 24
Some years ago I lost interest in painting and took up modelling, mainly period ships, eventually working up to complicated large scale models, attached are 2 pics of my model of the Victory, one before I attached sails (sewn by my sister) and one after. It is just under 4 feet from bowsprit to stern and took me one whole Winter about 10 years ago. It is now in the home of a favourite Niece

Eric Very nice, i know of a Powder Monkey

Excellent, Eric. As my late mother would have said, "You must have had the patience of Job", but you obviously enjoyed doing it, so patience didn't come into the equation.

Maurice

Maurice, never been a TV person, I am a 'doer' rather than a watcher. Had great pleasure in tackling these models (bought in kit form) the Victory and the Cutty Sark were the most difficult, particularly the rigging but I like a challenge. Hard to believe but I spent over 300 hours assembling the Victory, all the cannons are solid brass, an enjoyable way to pass the winter. Now back to painting ! Eric

Eric, I've never been a TV person either and haven't watched it since we moved to Crete eleven years ago. We went to the expense of putting in all the satellite gear here before the grandchildren arrived about four years ago. Being teenagers, they looked at it for two minutes and went back to their handheld computer games. It has never been turned on since!

Maurice

Yes Paul the they are expensive, particular the large scale kits, the Victory cost me £254, but for a whole winters 'entertainment' I thought it was worth it. some of the smaller simpler models which I started with were about £5o plus, they have even a larger scale Victory retailing at £600 !! I buy them on line from Cornwall Model boats, they have a huge range. I once used 'Bob's Models' Sheldon/Solihull but he closed last year, could not match the on-line competition. Shame. Eric

Back