• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hms Victory

Thanks to everyone on photos and messages about HMS Victory,does anyone know where I can purchase a model to build of this ship,preferably in wood not plastic.

Cheers Jemina

Jemina, I am presuming you have some experience in model boat building ?? It took me 6 months, (about 400 hours to complete) I completed my model about 5 years ago, 1/50th scale, I think it cost about £250, you will also need a miniature hand drill and bits and a plank bender but most of all unlimited patience. I bought mine on line either from www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk or www.wesrbourne-models.com but if you Google model wooden boat kits you will get others. There are various makers' mostly Italiam or Spanish, Artisan are good because of their easy to follow step-by-step instructions. But I must stress you need previous experience on other modes before tackling something so difficult. You can obtain smaller scale models which will be easier (and of course cheaper) with less detail. Mine is 3' 8" So need a large display area, it was about the 12th model I've done (and the most difficult), including Endeavour, Cutty Sark, HMS Bounty fishig boats etc Best of luck. Eric
PS I will send you an IM

Last edited:
Two pics of the Victory, one from 2010 with all the rigging in place,

and one Sept 2011 showing more restoration work

Hi all, as a matter of interest about Nelsons death, sailors in the Royal Navy wear a black silk topped by a white lanyard around their lower neck, in comemeration of his demise. eddyjay.

I understand that Nelson actually said "Kismet, Hardy" rather than "Kiss me".
Looking at Hardy, that would make more sense.

I went to Portsmouth Historic Dockyard last Monday while on holiday in Dorset and Hampshire.

Went on board HMS Victory. Low headroom. Sailors back in the 18th / 19th centuries must have been quite short, as I kept hitting my head inside!
Good to see where Nelson fell, when the snipper bullet fatally hit him!

DSCF0633.jpgDSCF0632.jpg

Also went inside the new Mary Rose Museum, and had a tour of Portsmouth Harbour by boat!

All of my Portsmouth photos will be on Flickr sometime during July 2013 (when I get around to it).

Yeah seen it Viv.

Almost saw it at the cinema 10 years ago, but we ended up not seeing it there (I later saw it on TV). Very hard film to watch.

I bought two books on HMS Victory. And two on Nelson!

There were some Birmingham men who served with Nelson. They received medals minted in Birmingham too. It's mentioned on another thread somewhere. Enjoy your books Ell! Viv.

An old extract (Oct 2005) from a BBC Birmingham article on the city's connections with Trafalgar. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372657982.684300.jpg

When I lost my Wife 15 years ago I lost interest in painting so tried my hand at period ship model making, started simple and worked my way up to more difficult and larger sale models, attached is a scale model of HMS Victory nearly 4 foot long I completed many years ago, took me one whole winter to compete (my sister sewed the sails for me). EricHMS Victory 1.JPG

When I lost my Wife 15 years ago I lost interest in painting so tried my hand at period ship model making, started simple and worked my way up to more difficult and larger sale models, attached is a scale model of HMS Victory nearly 4 foot long I completed many years ago, took me one whole winter to compete (my sister sewed the sails for me). EricView attachment 87126

Eric excellent, I walked past her last month, on the 14th.

Had a day out in Monmouth yesterday and called in at the Museum dedicated to Nelson its very informative and the items on show are worth going to see. Birmingham gets a mention as does Boulton.

Entrance is free so if you have a spare day you won't be dissapointed.......

I went with my Sister who is in the Ramblers Association and they saw the Memorial on their 12 mile hike whilst I visited the Museum.

Thank you for the link......

Back