• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Herbalist, Three Shires Oak Rd, Bearwood

Stokkie

master brummie
Anyone remember or use this shop which was situated before the junction with Wigorn and Abbey Road? It looked old fashioned. Mom bought Orris root from there sometimes and Liquorice root which we chewed as a sweet. I remember using orris to make potpourri with rose petals from the garden. It was a medicinal herbalist which operated in the 1960s - and probably before too. I have a vague recollection that the herbalist was prosecuted.(But I could be entirely wrong here). Mom used a few folk remedies, roasting an onion to hold to your ear for earache. Quite soothing. But she went to the doctors (also in Three Shires Oak) for medical conditions.

Last edited:
Sounds like something out of Lord of the Rings!
Sorry - couldn't resist that, I bet it was a fascinating place.

It seems quite popular these days.
Yes, indeed. Holland & Barrett do well, though Culpeper are no more. Boots sell Bach flower remedies and other alternative products. Herbalism isn't a profession regulated by law, unlike say pharmacy or being a medical doctor. My experience suggests that herbal medicine has a different status in Germany and the Czech Republic. Here anyone can call themselves a herbalist. Some of the traditional remedies like comfrey tea have health warnings. Some might interact with conventional medicine. There isn't really a way of standardising the dose either. We have arnica in the house for bruises and a few other things. This shop in Bearwood was like going back in time.

It would be difficult to have the profession regulated unless an enormous amount of research took place to root out those remedies that are not really remedies but just superstition,
I am quite conflicted on this issue. On the one hand
"Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works ? Answer: Medicine"
On the other hand
Why should herbalism not work ? The classic is willow leaves, that lead to the development of aspirin. Also the placebo effect is very real, so superstition could be effective because the person believes it will work.

We have arnica in the house for bruises and a few other things.
Absolutely, it works fine.
Dock leaves will pacify a sting, like anti histamine cream will.
Garlic is good for the heart (Errmmm).

I think a problem with herbs is dose regulation, (most times it isn't well regulated).

Don't chew a Lupin.

to root out those remedies
Well done.;)

Andrew.

My interest was in exploring the history of this long-gone shop, rather than the merits or demerits of herbal medicine. Of course, tea, coffee and chocolate contain psycho-active substances. Herbal tea is very popular, one night-time tea contains limeflowers, valerian root (20%), hops, passion flowers, fennel. Valerian certainly is a sedative. In the past, skullcap was an ingredient. It certainly worked for me, but the effect the following day was like a massive hangover. Reading about skullcap, I found that one authority advised diluting the teabag in a gallon of water, rather than a mug. I resolved to avoid skullcap entirely.

My interest was in exploring the history of this long-gone shop, rather than the merits or demerits of herbal medicine. Of course, tea, coffee and chocolate contain psycho-active substances. Herbal tea is very popular, one night-time tea contains limeflowers, valerian root (20%), hops, passion flowers, fennel. Valerian certainly is a sedative. In the past, skullcap was an ingredient. It certainly worked for me, but the effect the following day was like a massive hangover. Reading about skullcap, I found that one authority advised diluting the teabag in a gallon of water, rather than a mug. I resolved to avoid skullcap entirely.
I used to visit Three Shires Oak Road on a regular basis in the 1970s Stan Redding fishing tackle. He emigrated to Australia.

Back