• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Help pls. Parents of Matthew Foden b1823

Glennys Jean

master brummie
Hi everyone!
I'm trying to find any possible link between 2 Foden families in the Erdington / Sutton Coldfield area.

1) Caleb Foden 1805 - 1885
with sons Willliam 1830-1885, George 1834-1904, Henry 1836-1872, John 1838-1910, Charles 1842-1908,
daughters Emma 1840- 1896, Harriet 1844-1896

2) John Foden 1847-1911
In 1851 John is 5 yrs old with his parents Matthew Foden 1823-1868 and mother Amelia living in Gravelly Lane Sutton Coldfield

Maybe the connection goes back to the parents of John Foden but I just can't find out who John's parents were.
If anyone can help with the family of John...
Thanks to you all.

On the 1851 census I think Matthew Foden's father, John Foden is listed as b1789 Yardley, Warks.

And there is a baptism for a John Foden at Yardley 16 Mar 1794, son of a Joseph & Elizabeth. Years are a little out but not that's not uncommon.

Also, I previously suggested that Matthew's father may have been an illegitimate Bennett...

...which would make him an elder half brother of Caleb.

Last edited:
Thks MWS,
First I see I made a blooper, I should have said I was looking for the parents of Matthew Foden 1823-1868 and not of John his son!!!

I'd like to link up the children of John Foden 1847-1911 (census 1881) with the Foden family descendants of Caleb

This is an old wish of CHRIS M and I, that goes back a couple of years when CHRIS M found out he lived almost next door (WW1) to some Fodens namely Ada b1872 & Alice Emma b1879.
Maybe we are long distance cousins! It may well be that we'll never find out. (Sad)
Thanks for your suggestion and time.

Last edited:
Matthew Foden was baptised 19 Mar 1820 Aston, son of John Foden and Sarah Fitton/Futton.

It is this John Foden b1790 that may have been the illegitimate son of Sarah Bennett before she married a John Foden a few months later. These being the parents of Caleb Foden b1805.

Back