• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help Deciphering a certificate.

RRJ

Brummie Boomer
My Grandmother died in 1947 aged 34 at Johnson Rd Erdington. Of course I'm curious to know why she departed so early.
I can read 'certified by ? ? Mc Creary MD but not the a1 cause or by,

Screenshot (11).png although I think the second word is Tumour. Can anyone decipher this please.

Gosh, that is difficult handwriting, but it looks like: Toxaemia and Cerebral Tumour. So, it looks like the person had a brain tumour, but the cause of death may have been generalised infection as a result of the tumour.

• Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
Or the first word could be:

Ischemia or ischaemia. From Wiki:

is a restriction in blood supply to any tissues, muscle group, or organ of the body, causing a shortage of oxygen

And I think the MD might be Mcleary.

Viv.

• Appreciate
I wonder if that's cervical tumour it would probably fit for the age of the lady.
That's a good point Eric. She had only one child, my father in 1937, and no more children until her death ten years later.
She was still married to my Grandfather who was in attendance at her death.

I have another part unreadable cert ( to me anyway)
My grandparents marriage cert from 1931. It's whatever is written under 'Paper hanger and Decorator' for my grandfathers occupation.

To add to the confusion, 'Bright Street Aston' for my grandmothers residence, I can't find a reference to it.clsoeup.jpg

Thanks in advance.

the word is journeyman....we see it a lot..my gt gt grandad was a blacksmith journeyman..and it means

Upon becoming a journeyman, the individual was free to travel anywhere his services were needed. This is where the term journeyman came about, because the journeyman could travel and bring his unique skill-set anywhere he chose to practice.
lyn

the word is journeyman....we see it a lot..my gt gt grandad was a blacksmith journeyman..and it means

Upon becoming a journeyman, the individual was free to travel anywhere his services were needed. This is where the term journeyman came about, because the journeyman could travel and bring his unique skill-set anywhere he chose to practice.
lyn
Thanks Lyn,
I can sort of see it now. the uptick on the end was looking like a 'd'

happy to help bob...very often in fact quite often the old handwriting is so hard to work out and in some cases impossible

lyn

• Appreciate
Thank you MWS & Janice. My searches here and elsewhere kept pointing me to John Bright Street. They didn't live that far apart.

Back