• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Heath Street, Winson Green

Gosh! what memories come flooding back now.... I do remember it was not often we were allowed to use Nanny front door!! we always had to use the back through the big gate!!..

Thank you so much for posting those images..
Angie xx

That first one was subject to a long and drawn out 'where is this?' a few months ago!
We finally did agree that it was Heath Street, though.

i know Lloyd and we had some fun with that one.. and angie has just confirmed it again for us..

cheers

astoness

I worked at the City Of Birmingham outside catering dept; (next to the baths?) must be over 40years ago

The baths!!... I remember going to the baths... for all of us who did not have a bathroom...... Gosh you must have been rich those days if you had a bathroom!!!!

Tin baths were fun for us little ones.... but for mothers having to boil kettles to get hot water it must have been a nightmare!!

That is if its the 'baths' your thinking of??

Angie x

Angie, all I remember was that the entrance to the baths had about 3 steps up to the front door, and that we shared a gateway with them for their delivery of coke for the boilers do you remember the outside catering depot?

HI COOPERBILL
I HAD FRIENDS In Fact Alot Of Friends Down Heath St , Many Years Ago
And My Fiends Had The Scrap Yard Right Next To The Baths The Family Was Harold Moult Lived There For Donkeys Years Mr And Mrs Moult Died Years Ago When The Family Was Young And They Brought Themselves Up On There OWN Sadly Even When They Wa Growing Up They Was Loosing Each Other Through Death One By One
Mr Moult Was A Disabled Man With A Gammy Leg He Used To Walk With An Iron On His Leg He Was Always PleasantTo People My Friend H, Moult Junior WasA Great Kid And Always Cracking Jokes 24 -7, He Took UP bOXING And Turned PROFESIOAL
And He Was Taught By Big Jackie Burns And John Mcgrotie Whom Trained Kids Down
At The gym In Guest Keen And Netle folds -[GKN ]Along The Road Frm The Baths In Heath Street Winson Green , He Married A Girl Named Annette ,And Had A Son He
Thought The World Of After A Long Engagement And 12 Months Of Marrige She
Moved To Lozells Rd Oppersite The Wimbush Bakerys There The Marrige Was Over ,
We Still Kept In Touch Over The Years Then H, Started Falling Down Got Mived Up With A Bad crowdAnd One Day Many Years Ago He Was Asked To London And Sort
Another Woman.s Husband Out He Murdered Him In The Woods Eventualy Scotland
Tracked Him Down And He Was Sentence To Life Imprison , By This Time H,S Family Had All Died His Sister Got Killed In A Road Crash Just AFTER He Got His Sentence
For Life There Funeral Was Held t St Peters In George Street West By Spring Hill
After Hearing Of Her Death Is Last And Only Member Of His Emediate Family H,Decided
He Was Not Going To Do His Life Sentece In Worm Wood Scrubs And 12 Months To The Very Day He Took His Own Life He Built Up A Pile Of Tabs From The Sick Bay And To The Day He Swollowed Them All What A Tragic Fate Life Was Cruel To A Real Decent Hard Struggling Working Family Heath Street Had Alot Of Hard Working Familys
Whom Struggled To Make Ends Meet And They Looked After Each Other
If You Took On A Person , You Would Take Them All On There Was Alot Of Good Old Characters Down The Green , And I Don,t Mean The Prison ,There Was Hardley Family I Did NOT Know Or They Knew Me Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

HI COOPERBILL
And My Fiends Had The Scrap Yard Right Next To The Baths The Family Was Harold Moult Lived There For Donkeys Years Mr And Mrs Moult Died Years Ago When The Family Was Young And They Brought Themselves Up On There OWN Sadly Even When They Wa Growing Up They Was Loosing Each Other Through Death One By One
Mr Moult Was A Disabled Man With A Gammy Leg He Used To Walk With An Iron On His Leg He Was Always PleasantTo People My Friend H, Moult Junior WasA Great Kid And Always Cracking Jokes 24 -7, He Took UP bOXING And Turned PROFESIOAL
At The gym In Guest Keen And Netle folds -[GKN ]Along The Road Frm The Baths In Heath Street Winson Green , He Married A Girl Named Annette ,And Had A Son He
We Still Kept In Touch Over The Years Then H, Started Falling Down Got Mived Up With A Bad crowdAnd One Day Many Years Ago He Was Asked To London And Sort
Tracked Him Down And He Was Sentence To Life Imprison , By This Time H,S Family Had All Died His Sister Got Killed In A Road Crash Just AFTER He Got His Sentence
For Life There Funeral Was Held t St Peters In George Street West By Spring Hill
After Hearing Of Her Death Is Last And Only Member Of His Emediate Family H,Decided
He Was Not Going To Do His Life Sentece In Worm Wood Scrubs And 12 Months To The Very Day He Took His Own Life He Built Up A Pile Of Tabs From The Sick Bay And To The Day He Swollowed Them All What A Tragic Fate Life Was Cruel To A Real Decent Hard Struggling Working Family Heath Street Had Alot Of Hard Working Familys
If You Took On A Person , You Would Take Them All On There Was Alot Of Good Old Characters Down The Green , And I Don,t Mean The Prison ,There Was Hardley Family I Did NOT Know Or They Knew Me Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;
hi astonion..i am new to the site,in fact this is my first response.i lived in heath street in the early 70s,right next door to the caterers in fact. and i knew all the family you mentioned(ie the moults)dave was one of my best mates.i am dying to know who you are??? to see whether i know you??but right now i have to go to work..will log on later and chat to see if your available.

hi dave
theres every chance i know you. if you dave very well
the last time i seen dave he married a girl name sue , and she was the sister of my long time
friend dave , [ also his name ] from our school days , even up until today .
dave and susan had a house after they got married in those new houses on top corner
of abbey st , if i am correct. do you recal the renahans whom lived along from the yard on
the oppersite side to them there was two girls the oldest was linda ; the mother was a tall lady
well i havr got to go to kidderminster now on bussiness ,
so when you get the chance please give us a buzz i would be very happy to speak
best wishes Astonian;;;

hi dave
theres every chance i know you. if you dave very well
the last time i seen dave he married a girl name sue , and she was the sister of my long time
friend dave , [ also his name ] from our school days , even up until today .
dave and susan had a house after they got married in those new houses on top corner
of abbey st , if i am correct. do you recal the renahans whom lived along from the yard on
the oppersite side to them there was two girls the oldest was linda ; the mother was a tall lady
well i havr got to go to kidderminster now on bussiness ,
so when you get the chance please give us a buzz i would be very happy to speak
best wishes Astonian;;;
hi astonion, im back again??i have just read your response to my earlier message..and was amazed that you mentioned the renenhans,because if you know them you will definately know me??I was married to one of there daughters (annette)for years..so if you knew her then you have got to know me?you said on one of your earlier postings that all the moults had gone..I knew about harold and dorothy..and H and dot,,but i aint heard nothing about the rest of them going, ie kieth,dave and steve(ernie)i would be gutted if that were true?I thought it might b a good idea to throw some names at you from that period/see how many you know?starting with my lot..my mom and dad were called pat and reg.my brothers are allan dave,and steve(im john by the way)my sisters were carole,brenda,juie and jayne.the people i knew were..the galls,the moults,the renenhans,the eagles.the donahues,dave crocett.the dochertys(bernard,micheal and bernadette..alec loughran(deceased)jimmy nolan(deceased)the maddens, tony stanley,old george who used to allways pick up the dog ens off the street..lol.julie harris and her sister christine and i think she had a brother called johnny?susankeane(deceased)paddy burns(deceased)his daughter sindy was married to my brother for a while??there are loads more i could mention but i would be here till next year?they were definately the best of times.will close for now,give us a shout when your available..john:

hi john
many thanks for coming back to us on this one, Annette was the other sister i could not think of
when i wrote my last thread i remember her very well many . many years ago i went out with linda
her older sister , but after awhile i did not see eye to eye with the mother so we parted company
Do you see Annette anymore or the famiy ? .
i think linda went out with a kid i knew from way back when we was kids in eversham
and they came to brum his name was phillip . do you know or not ?.
i think if i remember ronnie ,his parents took on the pub by the park many years ago ,
have you got any children with annette ? .what about there brother is he still knocking about ?
i tryed to get to H,S funneral but i could not make it nor the sisters at st peters CHURCH IN SPRING HILL
WELL John i will sign off here for the time being i will come back shortly after a little memory
jogging for you take care ASTONIAN ;;

hi there astonion..i guess i did`nt know you then? as when i met annette,linda was allready married to phil.they lasted for awhile,they had 3 great kids..2 boys 1 gal..unfortunately one of the boys died a couple of years back.phil and lyn split up euite a few years ago.lyn is still in brum,phil in redditch..and dont worry about not seing eye to eye eith the mother..not many of us did.anyway both parents are dead now.I have 3 kids with annette..2 gals 1 boy all grown up now.annette with someone else now and is settled.rest of the family are in redditch now except paul and patrick.paul in somerset pat in brum.did ypu actually live in heath st?if so,what number?i am looking for old photos of heath st..aspecially by the baths area so if you have some could you post them please,or..suggest the best place to find them.allso bracebridge st aston.thanks. marketman1956.

HI John
many thanks for your reply on ren;s looked at the names of people you know
i know most of the familys ;regarding loughrans , my dutchess [ wife ] is a cousin to them ;
sorry to hear you and nettie spit up she was a nice kid ; so was lyn ;
and that you had a family by her and sorry tohear lyn had some trouble;
do you know what part of brum lyn lives in ; and of phil in redditch which is part of worc ;
as i live in worc; myself . we went to school together phil and myself came frommy mothers village
his parents like mine , and we both went to upper thomas st aston when we was kids
then we left and went to big school together
i last seen him in the sixtys down winson green rd love to catch them both up again
his dave still married to susan ; do you know of the tustins ronnie and johny i would say they are your generation i do know of your family by the way even thou you are one of the younger generation
did you know the williams of peel street they was market traders
speak to you soon have a nice day alan ;

hi astonion, im back again??i have just read your response to my earlier message..and was amazed that you mentioned the renenhans,because if you know them you will definately know me??I was married to one of there daughters (annette)for years..so if you knew her then you have got to know me?you said on one of your earlier postings that all the moults had gone..I knew about harold and dorothy..and H and dot,,but i aint heard nothing about the rest of them going, ie kieth,dave and steve(ernie)i would be gutted if that were true?I thought it might b a good idea to throw some names at you from that period/see how many you know?starting with my lot..my mom and dad were called pat and reg.my brothers are allan dave,and steve(im john by the way)my sisters were carole,brenda,juie and jayne.the people i knew were..the galls,the moults,the renenhans,the eagles.the donahues,dave crocett.the dochertys(bernard,micheal and bernadette..alec loughran(deceased)jimmy nolan(deceased)the maddens, tony stanley,old george who used to allways pick up the dog ens off the street..lol.julie harris and her sister christine and i think she had a brother called johnny?susankeane(deceased)paddy burns(deceased)his daughter sindy was married to my brother for a while??there are loads more i could mention but i would be here till next year?they were definately the best of times.will close for now,give us a shout when your available..john:
i would just like to confirm that keith,david and steven(ernie) are still very much alive and well i no this because im one of there daughters ,also some of the facts on the earlier pages about the moult family were also incorrect,sharonm

HI COOPERBILL
hello i just wanted to reply to this about the moult family above you have quite a bit wrong im not going to put it all down now because i dont have time today but i will be back soon i know the full facts about this family because im one of the family many thanks x

hi sharronm
young peter married my life long friend susan ;
and moved to the new house on the top of abey rd ?. true or false ;
astonion ;;

no there is no peter moult ,dave married sue and lived at the top of abbey street, they have been divorced for 15 years or more :(

Hi sharom
yes thats true ,there aint no peter ;it was mistake and idid put a following thread on the site but its quite clear it never got through for some reason
as soon as i put that peters name , i relized it and done another quite emediately
to couterract the name and put peter which was appropiate ;
and regrds david the marrige was a no go
an they was better parted ;tempus musus [time flys ] my dear friend
i had not relized it was that long
i knew susan as a child like the other sisters and brothers also her mother
but sadlyher father was not around at the time of the wedding
also the steadmans [ cousins since they was kids
and regards the house in abbey rd i had visted many times after the time of the break up ; and leart of all davids and susan mr meaners many years ago ;
have a nice day astonion ;;

image.jpeg
There's this one which Phil posted in #7 on that thread Amanda. Otherwise, mayb Astoness will remember the ones she originally posted when she sees your request. Viv.

Back