• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hawleys bakery

I have footage of an ex Hawleys Electric Bread van towing a chassis of a former Midland Red D7 Bus at Wythall in early 1980,s

I lived just up the way from the bakery in Athole St. I was about six years old and got mugged outside the bakery by two older lads who took the few pennies I had and my shoes. When did the bakery close? Was it taken over by a bigger company?

Seeing these photos of the Hawley's bread vans again made me think. I have never been able to put a name to the locations and I have always wondered why, so I thought that today I would do more than just think about it. The loading deck photo is obviously in Kyrwicks Lane where the bakery was located. Now as the other three photos are all of the same van at different locations I'm going to assume that because The Cheylesmore was a pub on Darlington Rd Coventry that all three photos were taken in Coventry and this is why I could not place them. To be honest I didn't think Hawley's delivered as far as Coventry.

potaroo
that hawleys is a added on picture of the sign of hawleys bakeries
and the title of mrs gollywogs kitchen was a company previous
attempt to sell car exhaust was gollyswogs exhaust which ended up as failed bussiness and with the goverment announcement of not useing the word gollys they tried there hand into retailing bread and cakes and food
which was also closed down under the health and hygiene regulations
hawleys had a few vans on the rd and they later changed there name and there premises and moved to west brom more or less oppersite the albion ground and thats where they changed there name as well i am just trying to think of there name there bussiness was just across brum coventry had there own bakeries and nuneaton the name for nuneaton is still above one of there old premises as you come out of nuneaton i pass it quite often when i go to my inlaws at bermuda village nuneaton this hawlelys bakeries wason this forum and all what i have mentionioned about five years ago with picture but obvisiously they was nambed by the name of history collections if you get my drift best wishes Astonian;

Can't say I remember that bakery but just seeing the open back doors of those vans brings back the wonderful smell of fresh baked bread...YUM!

EDIT: (a few minutes later.)
The currant bakery on Birmingham Road West Brom is now Allied Bakeries. I think it was Scribband's before that.

Last edited:
Yes, this Hawleys sign was an original sign, built into the brickwork (so original to the build of that building) the corner was added on sometime, as the original building was a brewery (hence the brewer & baker pub close by) my mother was born in a flat within this building, as she was the daughter of the owners.

According to Tom Golding's book {the Brum We Knew} the 'Brewer & Baker' pub was built in 1830, which I think would have proceeding the building of Hawleys bakery .

Nick

As yeast was used for both products I s'pose it makes sense to produce them both in the same premises.

Thank you for some lovely memories. Here goes with my first post ! My Dad worked for Hawleys when I was about 8/9 years old, about 1956. We lived in Oldknow Road, Small Heath so I think he must have worked out of the Moseley Bakery. He had a retail round at first i.e. delivering to houses, etc. His first Christmas at Hawleys he was given "tips" or a "Christmas Box" - money from his customers as a thank you. My Dad being the honest man that he was handed it all over with his takings. The cashier checked the round's book as he did at the end of the day and pushed all this money across the counter to Dad. When he got home Mom said they were so excited, it was like winning the Pools. There was £ 80 !! a fortune in those days. He later worked on the Big Brown vans. These were the Wholesale vans. Big trucks ( to me ) full of bread and cakes that he would deliver to factories, cafes, pubs, etc . I remember it was my school holiday treat to go with Dad on his round for a day. Wonderful runny fried egg sarnies at a café , I was allowed to choose a cake of my choice - always a long cream doughnut. I always thought they were all his cakes !. Happy days I can still recall that wonderful smell and the lovely mixture of people I met around central Brum.

Hi, everyone, there was a bakery on Coventry Road Small Heath between Cattell Road and Green Lane in the late 50s-early 60s, i seem to think it was Hawleys. There was also the bakery at the Swan Yardley who delivered bread to Wash Lane where I lived but I cant remember if it was Hawleys, the name sounds familiar though.Angela.

I also remember Hawleys bread, but had forgotten all about it until I saw this thread.

Angela, I think the bakery on Yardley Road close to the Swan was Hardings - I could be wrong as my memory is not what it was! georfred

Yes, i Googled it and found it was Hardings, easy to get them mixed up I think. I remember one day the bread tasted awfull we found out later that the baker forgot to add the salt ,it must have cost them a fortune and it never happened again,Angela.

HI GUYS hAWLEYS BAKERIES WAS ON MOSELY RD NEXT TO THE FRIENDS MEETIUNG HOUSE AND CHURCH WHICH WAS NEXT TO THE JUNIOR REMAND HOME
AS IT WAS IN THE LATE FIFTIES AND YEARS BEFORE THAT THE ONE IN HAY MILS I BELEIVE IT WAS HARDING AND OF COURSE WNDBUSHES INGREEN LANE
AND THEY HAD ONE UP IN LOZELLS RD WHICH LATER CLOSED DOWN THATS WHERE MY SISTER INLAW MET HER FELLOW AND GOT MARRIED IN THE SEVENTYS
LATER HAWLEYS WENT TO WEST BROMWICH RD AND LATER BECAME ANOTHER NAM,E BEST WISHES Astonian;;;

YUM YUM The smell and the taste of FRESH baked bread from HARDINGS on Church Rd Yardley right across from the newsagents and my barbers shop. All gone now, some bloody great store Tesco or some such, Looks like Church road goes around the Swan now. John Crump OldYUMYUMBrit. Parker. Co USA

Nice picture stich the van driver looks one of my friend brother he worked for them in the early years his name was alan frisby his younger brother was my best mate from springhill passagehe done the whole sale side of the bakery

Such memories the opening photo of Hawley's Kyrwicks Lane depot here stirred. We kids of the Sparkbrook area used to visit that depot (on Saturdays mornings, I think) in the 50s to scrounge left-over stale buns and cakes that were sometimes left out for us. My older sister and me were regular visitors there.

Regards, Ray T.

Back