• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Harry Yates

sylviasayers

master brummie
I know there are lots of Villa fans using the Forum, and I wondered if anyone knew anything about Harry Yates who was in the winning teams of 1886/1887 and 1888 he is on the photos accompaning the article on the main site by Vic Garvey. He could be one of my great or g.g. uncles, my son and nephews would be ecstatic is we could prove a link.

John, thank you so much for all your efforts, I have a lot of info. on the Yates (my grandmothers family) I think the Harry who had the pub in Lennox Street, possibly the Brook Tavern, from other sources, would be the right age for the Villa player, but as I have never heard any family stories about him, thought I would try the forum, to try and link his age
and info. I already have.

The family names add up, as brothers and sisters seemed to name their
children after their own siblings, and it can be very confusing, I have pored over the photos to try and see a resemblance to my gran, but could be kidding myself.

Again many thanks.
Sylvia

Hello Sylvia

My mom's maiden  name was Hilda Yates and she lived in Aston in Lower Tower st she was born in about 1907. she had two brothers John known as Jack, Billy and three sisters Evelin and Ivy and another sister who died young of TB. I don't if they were related to you on your mothers side. Her dad was a regular soldier for something like twenty years.

All the best with your research Tony Randall

Thanks for the information Tony, do you know your grandparents names? Another contact from Genes Reunited gave me some information on a Richard Yates who married Harriet Whitehouse at St. Stephens Church, Aston, in 1901 when they were both living in Manchester Street, which is where my Yates family were living in 1891, a later address for Richard & Harriet was 1 court, 3 Lower Street, where a son Henry was born in 1913, this would be period when your mother was born in 1907. I didn't know the names of your other aunts and uncles, but it seems quite possible we are related.

John, thank you so much for all your efforts, I have a lot of info. on the Yates (my grandmothers family) I think the Harry who had the pub in Lennox Street, possibly the Brook Tavern, from other sources, would be the right age for the Villa player, but as I have never heard any family stories about him, thought I would try the forum, to try and link his age
and info. I already have.

The family names add up, as brothers and sisters seemed to name their
children after their own siblings, and it can be very confusing, I have pored over the photos to try and see a resemblance to my gran, but could be kidding myself.

Again many thanks.
Sylvia

Been digging out my Yates research. Richard Yates born 1780 in Darlaston married Mary Shaw 29-9-1806 at St Lawrance Darlaston. 8-9-1817 he had moved to Aston and married Elizabeth Longmore from Darlaston at St Peters and Pauls, she was aged 19. His last marriage was to Anne Palmer, yet again 19 years old, at St Philips in 1831 with whom he had 4 children Henry my great grandfather among them. in the 1851 cenus his is aged 71 with 4 teenaged children, i hope this ties in somewhere with you, Colin

I know there are lots of Villa fans using the Forum, and I wondered if anyone knew anything about Harry Yates who was in the winning teams of 1886/1887 and 1888 he is on the photos accompaning the article on the main site by Vic Garvey. He could be one of my great or g.g. uncles, my son and nephews would be ecstatic is we could prove a link.

Harry R. Yates Born Walsall August 1861 Died circa 1932 Member of the 1887 Winning side F.A. Cup. Just 29 apps serious Hip injury forced him out of the game at competitive level.

The only other Yates was John Born Manchester 1903 just 14 apps

No other Yates in that era:)

Alf, thanks for the information, I will keep on file, so far can't make a link with my family, but one never knows what will turn up.

Colin, I have sent you a private message, try and read today before Rod has his "purge". I will have to check the information you have posted above, but the information in your p.m. is certainly my family.

Alf, thanks for the information, I will keep on file, so far can't make a link with my family, but one never knows what will turn up.

Colin, I have sent you a private message, try and read today before Rod has his "purge". I will have to check the information you have posted above, but the information in your p.m. is certainly my family.

I don't have any PMs in my box

By the way I got the info on the players from Aston Villa 1874-1989 Who's Who

Alf, I didn't send you a p.m. but did send one to Colin Evans with my email address as it seems we are related and I didn't want to lose contact. He has since sent me an email and I have replied. Thanks for your help.

mary ann yates

Hi distant reli: MARY ANN YATES married 2-8-1902, witnessed by E Yates but i find the Clifford Street address confusing. In the Kelly's business guide for the mid 1800s you will find a Yates was licencee of a pub in Lennox street for almost 30 years.

Colin, my grandmother had a sister Mary Ann born 1875 so she would have been 27 when she married, among the sisters were an Eliza and an Elizabeth either who could have been witnesses. My g.aunt Lizzie didn't die until about 1954 and we were close to her. My mother told me Mary Ann had a fish and chip shop, and another sister Laura b.1889 also had a shop, not sure what type. Also Eliza was quite a business woman she had a coffee shop/cafe in New John Street West known as the Dot, in premises that had previously been a pub, she died about 1936/37. Her sons Ted & Dick twins had a milk round and also a shoe shop on the corner of Miller Street and Newtown Row, and their wives had a dress shop called Edwards in Newtown Row almost opposite Phillips Street, I can remember it. Another son had a charbanc business.

Colin, my grandmother had a sister Mary Ann born 1875 so she would have been 27 when she married, among the sisters were an Eliza and an Elizabeth either who could have been witnesses. My g.aunt Lizzie didn't die until about 1954 and we were close to her. My mother told me Mary Ann had a fish and chip shop, and another sister Laura b.1889 also had a shop, not sure what type. Also Eliza was quite a business woman she had a coffee shop/cafe in New John Street West known as the Dot, in premises that had previously been a pub, she died about 1936/37. Her sons Ted & Dick twins had a milk round and also a shoe shop on the corner of Miller Street and Newtown Row, and their wives had a dress shop called Edwards in Newtown Row almost opposite Phillips Street, I can remember it. Another son had a charbanc business.

sylvia, sorry my gran was 22 when she married, i have the marriage certificate, and my aunt lizzie and grandmother were still alive in the sixties both living long lives. the more information you send seems to doubt any relationship between us. There are no fish and chip shops in the family as i know of and that should have been known to me. sorry colin

Colin, thanks for your post, I will have to delve a little deeper after Christmas, but I still feel there could be a connection somewhere on the tree.

Back