• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Harrington marriage

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks i wonder if anyone who is on ancestry could have look to see if the marriage cert is on there for mary ann harrington to william ellis ..marr was 1841 birmingham..what i am looking for is name of mary anns father and his profession..

many thanks for any help given..

lyn

Hi Lyn, according to FreeBMD the marriage was in the Aston reg district (Sep 1841). Can't find it on Ancestry at all.

Lynn there is a marriage shown as 1841 but no actual cert shown on Ancestry, but on 1951 census there is a John Harrington born in Witcham 1781 and is a glassmaker. I have picked this info up as there is someone else on Ancestry who has Mary Ann Harrington/William Ellis in their family.

Lynn there is a marriage shown as 1841 but no actual cert shown on Ancestry, but on 1951 census there is a John Harrington born in Witcham 1781 and is a glassmaker. I have picked this info up as there is someone else on Ancestry who has Mary Ann Harrington/William Ellis in their family.

thanks carol..yes thats my gt gt gt gt grandfather john harrington on the 51...thanks also for the info about someone on ancestry having him on their tree...i shall be getting subs to it very soon..

lyn x

Last edited:
Hi Lyn, according to FreeBMD the marriage was in the Aston reg district (Sep 1841). Can't find it on Ancestry at all.

thanks also illumina 3 yes ive got that info and also the ref number of the marriage so may have to get a copy of it at later date..

cheers

lyn

hi folks i wonder if anyone who is on ancestry could have look to see if the marriage cert is on there for mary ann harrington to william ellis ..marr was 1841 birmingham..what i am looking for is name of mary anns father and his profession..

many thanks for any help given..

lyn
William Ellis (1824-1883) is my gt, gt grandfather. He married Mary Ann Harrington 24 July 1841 at Aston Union Register office. The witnesses were Jane Hawksford and George Thomas. William was a glassmaker of Birmingham and Stourbridge from at least 1841 to 1886.
Mary Anne Harrington (1824-1899) is the daughter of John Harrington (1781-1860) and Susanna. Mary Ann was born 4 Nov 1824 and baptised at St Philip's Birmingham 24 Dec 1832.
To answer your question, John Harrington was a glassmaker. His constantly changing abode reflects the tenuous employment situation of a Victorian glassmaker. Heneage Street, Aston, Dartmouth Street, Birmingham, Dudley, Oldswinford and later Wollaston. All of these areas had glassworks in the Victorian era. He was born at Winchcombe in Gloucestershire. The census enumerators sometime write this as Witcham (which is how it is pronounced). I doubt that John ever formally married his life-long partner Susanna. When they baptised their three youngest children at St Phillips, Birmingham on 24 Dec 1832 the officiant marked the parish register as "single woman" with an exclamation mark. Which, sadly means we may never know her maiden name.

hi jason and welcome...so we are related then...thanks for the above info without checking i think this is pretty much the same as i have..again without checking as it was some time ago i seem to remember i found a mary ann harrington on the 81 census in the workhouse not certain if she is correct one and i did mean to get her death cert which may have helped confirm or not as the case maybe..i shall have to get my harrington info again to refresh my memory

lyn

hi jason and welcome...so we are related then...thanks for the above info without checking i think this is pretty much the same as i have..again without checking as it was some time ago i seem to remember i found a mary ann harrington on the 81 census in the workhouse not certain if she is correct one and i did mean to get her death cert which may have helped confirm or not as the case maybe..i shall have to get my harrington info again to refresh my memory

lyn
Susanna Harrington died 26 July 1835 when she was living at Brewery Street, Aston. All of my tree is on Familysearch.org. Start with Susanna's record at https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/L1KH-T5Z

I would be very interested to know how we are related

as you said william ellis is your gt gt grandfather and he married mary ann harrington the daughter of my gt gt gt gt grandfather john harrington so i think we are somehow related...thanks i do have the burial record for sussanna harrington and husband john harrington...again i will need to check but i think they are both buried at st james the less

correction ....it was not mary ann i found in the workhouse but her sister jane harrington who married john cartwright in 1834..found her on the 81 and 91 census western road workhouse...think john died in 1877

thanks also illumina 3 yes ive got that info and also the ref number of the marriage so may have to get a copy of it at later date..

cheers

lyn
Hello Lyn,

Here is the marriage certificate of William Ellis and Mary Ann Harrington. I've also got the birth certificates of their children William Ellis and John Edward Ellis, but everything I know about William Ellis and Mary Ann Harrington is on familysearch.org for free at https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/KHL6-BW5

Regards
Jason

Attachments

• William Ellis Marriage Cert.jpg
    William Ellis Marriage Cert.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
many thanks for that marr cert jason...it is one i dont have so i will print it off and put it in my harrington folder.thanks also for the family link

lyn

William Ellis (1824-1883) is my gt, gt grandfather. He married Mary Ann Harrington 24 July 1841 at Aston Union Register office. The witnesses were Jane Hawksford and George Thomas. William was a glassmaker of Birmingham and Stourbridge from at least 1841 to 1886.
Mary Anne Harrington (1824-1899) is the daughter of John Harrington (1781-1860) and Susanna. Mary Ann was born 4 Nov 1824 and baptised at St Philip's Birmingham 24 Dec 1832.
To answer your question, John Harrington was a glassmaker. His constantly changing abode reflects the tenuous employment situation of a Victorian glassmaker. Heneage Street, Aston, Dartmouth Street, Birmingham, Dudley, Oldswinford and later Wollaston. All of these areas had glassworks in the Victorian era. He was born at Winchcombe in Gloucestershire. The census enumerators sometime write this as Witcham (which is how it is pronounced). I doubt that John ever formally married his life-long partner Susanna. When they baptised their three youngest children at St Phillips, Birmingham on 24 Dec 1832 the officiant marked the parish register as "single woman" with an exclamation mark. Which, sadly means we may never know her maiden name.
hi jason just going back to your mention of the bapt in 1832 st philips...you said john and susanna bapt their 3 youngest children but i am not so sure... the first 2 children (born 1822 and 1824 are down as children of john and susannah (single woman) but the third child is john b 1832 son of jane harrington (also single woman)

my research shows that john and susanna had a dau jane b abt 1814 dudley so maybe janes son john is the grandchild of john and susannah...bit of coinsidence that both susannah and jane are down as single women though..although i dont think this will make much difference to your research i just thought i would mention it

lyn

hi jason just going back to your mention of the bapt in 1832 st philips...you said john and susanna bapt their 3 youngest children but i am not so sure... the first 2 children (born 1822 and 1824 are down as children of john and susannah (single woman) but the third child is john b 1832 son of jane harrington (also single woman)

my research shows that john and susanna had a dau jane b abt 1814 dudley so maybe janes son john is the grandchild of john and susannah...bit of coinsidence that both susannah and jane are down as single women though..although i dont think this will make much difference to your research i just thought i would mention it

lyn
Astoness, you are 100% correct in advising me that I had not got it precisely right. Thank you so much. I started work analysing your response at 9am this morning and I have only just finished. Firstly I had to track down my original hand-written transcript of the St Philip's register from 39 years ago, but I found it! That's a plus for the filing system. Then I revisited all the facts and assumptions I had made in the last 39 years. Some of it gives clarity, but not all and I would like to share with you my latest thoughts on this part of the Harrington Family tree:

Baptism of three children in same day 24 Dec 1832 at St Philip’s, Birmingham
The facts
The hypotheses
Susanna born 25 Dec 1822
Daughter of John & Susanna Harrington
Dartmouth Street, Single woman! (the exclamation mark is in the officiant’s handwriting)
It seems reasonable to assume that Susanna is the child of John and Susanna Harrington, albeit born out of wedlock. If so, it means, their three older children: Henry b1812, Jane b1814, John b1820 were also born out of wedlock. I cannot find a baptism for Henry and Jane (which would be expected in the circumstances), but there is a baptism for John 15 Oct 1820 at Dudley St Thomas. I would love to see a transcript.
Mary Ann born 4 Nov 1824
Daughter of John & Susanna Harrington
Dartmouth Street, Single woman! (the exclamation mark is in the officiant’s handwriting)
Similar to above.
John son of Jane Harrington
Single woman of Dartmouth Street
Born 11 Oct 1832
Is this John the son of the above-mentioned Jane Harrington b1814 (and therefore grandson of John and Susanna)? It would be reasonable to assume that she was living at home with her parents in Dartmouth Street and had John (out of wedlock) when she was 18 years old.

Jane appears to marry John Cartwright in 1834, which may mean he is the father of John b1832. However, John and Jane Cartwright appear on the censuses of 1841 and 1851 without a son John b1832. Although they appear to have a son John Cartwright b 1847.

I suspect that the John b1832 out of wedlock may be the John buried 6 Oct 1846 at St Martin’s and they named their newly born child in his memory.

There are many problems with this hypothesis:
  • My only fact for John Cartwright b1847 in Birmingham is the 1861 census and unfortunately there are two possible civil births in Birmingham, one in 1846 and another in 1847.
  • Why is John Harrington b1832 not on the 1841 census? John and Jane Cartwright can be found in Brasshouse passage but they don’t have a nine-year-old John Harrington/Cartwright with them.
  • If we assume that this absence is because John Harrington b1832 died before 1841 we just have another mystery to deal with, the only viable death record is John Harrington buried 16 Jun 1833 (which fits chronologically), of Dartmouth Street (which fits perfectly geographically), but the parents are Samuel Harrington and Jane Harrington! This implies a married couple, but not necessarily so. Jane Harrington didn’t become Jane Cartwright until the following year (1834). But if this is the applicable burial record, who on earth is Samuel Harrington? Is he the father of John Harrington b1832 out of wedlock?
  • Had Jane been living with Samuel (out of wedlock) or was he her husband until she married John Cartwright in 1834?
  • The final conundrum is that Jane Harrington appears to marry John Cartwright in 1834 at Edgbaston, but the only child of that marriage I can locate is the above-mentioned John Cartwright b1847 in Birmingham. That’s 13 years after the marriage, but I can’t find any intervening children.

CONCLUSION – this doesn’t stack up!

hi jason and thanks for sharing your findings although it will take me some time to digest it all but when i have time i will.. but for now just to pick on your below quote

Jane appears to marry John Cartwright in 1834, which may mean he is the father of John b1832. However, John and Jane Cartwright appear on the censuses of 1841 and 1851 without a son John b1832. Although they appear to have a son John Cartwright b 1847.

my findings

i have also got jane marrying john cartwright in 1834 and he could well be the father of janes child john b 1832 but like you i could not find jane with a son john on the 41 census but on the 51 again at brasshouse passage is hubby john cartwright brass caster wife jane..john jennings aged 4 visitor...on the 61 young john is still with john cartwright and jane and this time is down as john cartwright son aged 14 brass caster

recently i have found a marriage for a john cartwright jennings brass caster aged 20 to ellen faulkener 1866 father john cartwright jennings brass caster

so begs the question was john jennings taken in by john and jane cartwright as a young boy and assumed the name of cartwright jennings...quite a mystery but i am attaching that marr cert

lyn

Attachments

• john cartwright jennings marr cert.jpg
    john cartwright jennings marr cert.jpg
    576.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
also possible marriage for john and susannah banister..had this one written down for a few years now

Name:Susannah Banister
Spouse:John Harrington
Marriage Date:1806
Parish:Rowley RegisBallingham-17_kn-ser0172119 (1).jpg

hi jason and thanks for sharing your findings although it will take me some time to digest it all but when i have time i will.. but for now just to pick on your below quote

my findings

i have also got jane marrying john cartwright in 1834 and he could well be the father of janes child john b 1832 but like you i could not find jane with a son john on the 41 census but on the 51 again at brasshouse passage is hubby john cartwright brass caster wife jane..john jennings aged 4 visitor...on the 61 young john is still with john cartwright and jane and this time is down as john cartwright son aged 14 brass caster

recently i have found a marriage for a john cartwright jennings brass caster aged 20 to ellen faulkener 1866 father john cartwright jennings brass caster

so begs the question was john jennings taken in by john and jane cartwright as a young boy and assumed the name of cartwright jennings...quite a mystery but i am attaching that marr cert

lyn
Hi Astoness, Thank you for that marriage cert. What a piece of Birmingham history it is with the two addresses quoted. Warstone lane is the home of the famous Pemberton brassmaking family and Ryland Street was almost certainly named after the equally famous Ryland family involved in wire-drawing.
Based upon the information it provides I have spent the morning trying to sort out the family of John Cartwright Jennings which can be seen on familysearch at https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/MK9B-9SD
So far it doesn't solve the mystery. In fact this family is as enigmatic as the Harringtons! For example:
I can't find the birth/baptism of Ellen Faulkner b about 1848-1851 in Birmingham, even though the marriage cert shows her father as Alfred Faulkner.
Neither can I find the birth/baptism of John Cartwright Jennings b about 1843 to 1847. This is complicated by further issues a) He may have been born with a surname of Jennings or of Cartwright and b) his census records give two possible birthplaces. I favour Bewdley, Worcestershire. But the 1891 census names Shropshire, although Bewdley is only half a mile from the Shropshire border, so this may be just a lack of understanding of geography.

John Cartwright Jennings and Ellen Faulkner appear to have had 11 children according to the census records which all match up around him being a brass caster/pattern maker etc. The difficulty with analysing any of the 11 children is that their names all appear to have multiple possibilities in the relevant timescales. I have attached what records I can do with confidence, but haven't achieved a lot.

Ellen is on the 1861 census in Northampton. I am pretty certain it is the right family as father is Alfred and occupation is "boot closer(??)"
Looking at the other children it would seem Ellen's mmn is Hefford. I can find births for Alfred in 1855, Emma 1857, Joseph 1858, Sarah 1860 all of which fit the 1861 census but the only birth in Birmingham with mmn Hefford is .... plus 2 others in Northampton
1613316832915.png
There is an 1851 birth for an Ellen Faulkner in Birmingham on the census.

Ellen is on the 1861 census in Northampton. I am pretty certain it is the right family as father is Alfred and occupation is "boot closer(??)"
Looking at the other children it would seem Ellen's mmn is Hefford. I can find births for Alfred in 1855, Emma 1857, Joseph 1858, Sarah 1860 all of which fit the 1861 census but the only birth in Birmingham with mmn Hefford is .... plus 2 others in Northampton
View attachment 153030
thanks jan that info confirms what i found

lyn

View attachment 153030
Janice, that is just so kind of you to look this up and reply. Dinner is now in the oven, but I can't wait to investigate.

Thank you

Jason

Janice, that is just so kind of you to look this up and reply. Dinner is now in the oven, but I can't wait to investigate.

Thank you

Jason
Janice, dinner can wait, I have started looking now. The marriage cert provided by Astoness definitely appears to name Ellen Faulkner and all the research I did this morning names Ellen. But what you have just kindly provided is Emma Faulkner, not Ellen Faulkner. As you say, the 1861 census shows her as born in Northampton. However, the 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 all show Ellen to be born in Birmingham. This seems to be a rather large leap of faith to assume they are the same person - different forename, different birthplace, even though they do both has Alfred as the father's name. I hate making a conclusion like this without more facts. Any further thoughts?

I think the Emma born in Birmingham dies - I think there is a death in 1856 in Northampton that is likely.
They then have another daughter in 1857 who they call Emma. That was, I believe, quite common back then.
That leaves us with the Ellen reg with no mmn. Two questions: Why might Susannah (and Alfred) have been in Birmingham and did the person registering the birth not know mmn??

Back