• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harman wholesale business in 1890's (Smethwick?)

Ann Steiner

master brummie
According to earlier family research, my paternal great-grandfather was a businessman, in the Birmingham area during the 1890’s and turn-of-the-century. He was said to be a wholesale jeweler, and “had a manufacturing business in Birmingham, making and marketing silver plate, and brass and wrought iron products. He did an international business and published a beautiful catalog, embossed and cloth-bound.”

His name was Thomas Richmond Harman, but I believe because of the fact that his father’s name was also Thomas, he may have gone by his middle name Richmond.

My grandfather’s birth registration states that the family was living at 10 Hagley Road, in Smethwick at the time of his birth, and in a search of the 1891 census for the Civil Parish of Harborne, I find a listing for a “Richard Harman” (and family) “gold jeweler/employer” living at 10 Hagley Road in Smethwick. (I believe the handwriting of the enumerator was misinterpreted by the transcriber, and it should have read Richmond.)

I don’t know what name his business would have been registered under, and wonder if anyone could possibly look in the Kelly Directories for the year’s 1890 (or after?), to see if they can find a Thomas or Richmond Harman listed with a business such as the one described above. I don't know if he would have been doing business in Smethwick, where they lived, or in Birmingham proper.

Or can anyone suggest where I might look myself for any information on him? I tried Peck's Trades Directory of Birmingham 1896-97, but didn't find anything listed under his name alone, or in partnership with anyone under jewelry, metal plating, brass or iron works.

Also, supposedly the Boer War broke up the business and forced Richmond to give it up by 1902/03. I am puzzled as to why the war would have affected a thriving international business – it seems like wars often have the opposite affect. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you.
Ann Steiner

Ann
Found the following from Kellys;

No mention
Harman, Richmond & Co. jewellers, 408 Bristol road
1883-1884
Harman & Co silversmiths, goldsmiths & general jewellers 121 Vyse St
1888-1892
Harman Richmond, jeweller see Harman & Co
Harman & Co jewellers 78 Vyse St
They shared no 78 with the Cooperative Jewellers Association. Sharing was common with smaller firms, or he may have had a connection

No mention of either Richmond or Harman & Co
Private address

Harman Richmond 8 Hagley road, Smethwick (not listed in 1890, and in 1890 John Yates Pickin was at 8 Hagley road, Smethwick., and Mrs Hopkins at no 10)
Harman Richmond 10 Hagley road, Smethwick
No mention
Harman Thomas Richmond, Ivydene,South Road, Gravelly Hill Erdington

No mention and Edward Langley, builder, is at Ivydene

Don’t know if they were related, but also a John Harman, jeweller , 40 St Pauls Square.in 1890, but also at other addresses other years, around during, before and after this period,

No 78 Vyse st was demolished in 1909 to make way for another building, which is now part of the Museum of the Jewellery Quarter.
I think no 121 Vyse st was demolished in the 1960s to make way for the “Big Peg” jewellery workshops.
The earlier workshop in Bristol Road was away from the centre of jewellery manufacture, and Richmond would have wanted to get to somewhere like Vyse street as soon as he could to mix with other jewellers, both for “contacts” and also because much work and services was subcontracted to little firms and it helped for the centre of business to be around you
Mike

Last edited:
Gosh Mike, thanks so much! Not only did you find that Richmond did indeed have a business enterprise in the area, but you also furnished information on additional addresses where the family lived, and pointed out why he would have wanted to move his business to the Vyse street locations.

Kind of odd that they lived at #10 Hagley Road in the 1891 census when my grandfather was born, then at #8 Hagley in 1892 and a Mrs. Hopkins is at #10, and then the Harmans are back at #10 again in 1895. Genealogy sure is interesting!

Thanks again -- this will give me additional material to add to my great-grandfather's chapter.

Best,
Ann

Back