• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Harborne swimming baths

leslam

Brummie by marriage
My understanding is that Harborne Swimming Baths are closing immediately February half-term so that demolition work can start to make way for the new pool.
Has anyone been in to photograph the interior architecture for posterity?

Leslam,
Thanks for the info. on the closure of Harbourne Baths, I have tonight, managed to arrange access to photograph the interior of the baths, after it closes, although I'm told it is not a particular good example.

Colin

hi leslam
It is with great sorrow that I learn that Harborne baths are to close, I used these baths from1956 till I left school in 1962, Ilmington road took us once a week for 4 years , I met old girlfriends there and met some old mates.
very sad
paul

Not sure of the exact closure date, but I've got access on 22nd February, by which time it will be closed to the public.
If you really want to take the chance to have your last swim in Harbourne Baths, there's not long.
I understand the new leisure centre the site will open end of 2011.

Colin

Re: Birmingham buses

hi liz
loved harborne baths understand they are to close went there from the mid 50's and when I went Ilmington Road school would go every week swimming, remember being on the top board with old Razor Hinkley frightened to death to jump,and our teacher "Charlie" Brown daring us and we did holding on to each other, met gsome of my old girl friends there and some great mates. happy days
paul

Re: Harborne

Hi Paul,yes they are closed i think, i have put a photo in my album of what the new one is going to be like, i think my nephew said it will be ready late this year,The Duke of York pub opposite is now a block of apartments,

harborne baths

hi paul this is the old harborne baths, the new one will be open later this year,my nephew tells
me,

Liz,
Looking at the photo of Harborne baths,I cannot think why the building needs to be replaced.
Is there anyone on the forum who knows the area at the present time,who could enlighten us.:rolleyes:

Hi Ray i have put the wrong one up that is the old one i will amend my mistake
this is the new one

It's the old building I like the best Liz,it has style,the new one is just fashion,and too modern.:(
"Fashion dies but style lives forever":)

I prefer the old building Ray,i don't like many modern buildings,the new one looks like something out of a science fiction film.But they say its progress

It closes next weekend, I've got access on Monday after it's closed to the public, to take photos

Colin

Harbourne Baths closed yesterday, the buildings will be demolished and a new leisure centre, due to open in 2011, will be built.
When I visited today work had already started in stripping out and removing equipment.

DSCN1832.JPG

DSCN1829.JPG

DSCN1828.JPG

DSCN1827.JPG

Colin

Last edited:
When I first looked at the pictures I thought it was Erdington Baths - so similar in design and layout.
Let's hope the new leisure centre will be asset to the local community - thanks for the pics.

lovely photos lovely building but if its had its day,sad it looks fine

hi all
great photos have saved them to my file all the years I used these baths never realised they had been open already for 33 yrs, this was a time when local councils provided service's to there electorate and nothing had make a profit, now sadly not the case any more.
paul

I learned to swim here with the school, weekly on Tuesday mornings back in the early sixties. It's EXACTLY as I remember it!! Modern for it's time, but not now I suppose.

My niece was so scared the first time she went swimming there with the school,and she learnt to swim her first time,
you could say she took to it like a fish to water

hi liz
thanks the boards at harborne were quite high as I remember, I wonder how long ago they were removed?
hope you and yours are well
paul

I think most pools removed the diving boards some time ago, health and safety i believe

hi liz
yes there were 3 boards in the late 50's early 60's a long thin spring board with green covering I seem to remember, then a concrete/metal structure I think , a medium board about 15' and high board about 22' high with ladders running up the back of it. It always petrified me but I did on occasions use all 3.
paul

Well Paul i never jumped off a diving board in my life which is very sensible because i can't swim

evening liz I know but back then it was expected and the girls would hang around underneath the boards and speculate who would chicken out or not. So if you wanted to connect with a special one you really had to jump, I remember trying to impress a certain Marlene, and I had never used the spring board before and did a spectacular belly flop not only did it hurt like billio but I could't go back there for half the summer holiday in 1959 and had to go to Tiverton Road baths in Selly Oak instead.
regards paul

The things you would do to impress the girls,Tiverton Rd that's where my son learnt to swim,that's another old pool,i wonder how long that will last. liz

yes liz I wonder if that has closed down now, I remember round the corner was a little shop where you could buy 1d packet of broken crisps, one thing I remember about harborne baths was the upstairs resteraunt or cafe but they made the most wonderful coco all frothy and sweet 5d.
paul

Back