• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harborne Great grandfather suicide in march1920

donapr

John Francis Hartland 1869-1920

Anyone have any idea where he might have been buried..what grave yard if lived in Harborne.

how to find information about his death, he went under a train at Harbourne station.

He was an architect for B'ham corporation.

Thank you :friendly_wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be wrong but believe it will be a council Cemetery as suicides were not accepted for burial in ground that had been consecrated. Now you need someone with more knowledge than I.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can find a death announcement in the local paper, it will probably tell you where the funeral is. If you are a member of Birmingham Linrary, you can login to the Gale Newspaper site using your library bar-code and pin-number.

Bernie, I think you will find Council owned cemeteries have been consecrated, except for the non-conformist areas.

I cannot say for certain but I don't think that "suicides" were forbidden burial in the 20th Century, and then only in Catholic Church yards.
paul

Back