• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth Park Victoria Park Handsworth

Wow those pictures bring back some memories - Lining up at the water drinking fountain to drink out of those iron chained cups - Trecking through the park from St Mary's School our swim suits rolled in towels to Grove Lane Baths - The swings the roundabout -rowing on the lake the motor boat - picnics - the flower show - The time I let go my mom's hand and was nearly trampled on crossing the small bridge to the fireworks display

Berly- how I can relate to all your memories. There was the Scout Rally we always went to, as a spectator in my younger days and then as a Cub Leader at St Mary's.
The variety shows in the BIG TOP were always a hit, I think we covered this in another thread a while ago. But happy memories.

Thanks for the memories.....:whistle: Mo

And standing on the railway bridge in the park, waiting for the steam engines to pass through and cover you in steam and black bits.
Fishing for sticklebacks and 'redbreasts' in the lake and the water going down your wellies.
Marvelling at the floral clock near the Hamstead Road entrance (my stepfather used to plant up that clock in the fifties).
Playing on the bandstand and pretending to conduct the band.
We didn't need hi-tech to enjoy ourselves did we? We were never overweight either!

Okay all together now.

:whistle: Those were the days, my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we'd choose
We'd fight and never lose
Those were the days, oh yes, those were the days:whistle:

I am sure you all remember that. :) Mo

Here's a nice photo of the tennis courts, you won't be on this one Charlie its around 1920's:)

There doesn't seem to be any skaters out there - I guess the attire the women wore in those days - wouldn't allow them to do much

I suppose not many could afford skates. I remember my first pair I saved for months.

Moma P you are probably right - I remember going to Birmingham Ice skating rink and having to rent my skates - Yes I did learn skate though I must say ballroom dancing took over!

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a lovely photo.
I think most people had those skates you strapped to your shoes in those days unless you were really good. So it probably looks as though they don't have skates on.:) Mo

cromwell I went to the big brum antiques fair this morning and I bought a post card dated 1904 it the same view as yours on post 89 but earlier.

Last edited:
Jean - it was great to see that programme! I more than likely went to the show in 1953 as I was always in the Park in those days. I used to love the smell of perfume in the Flower Tents, and it always seemed to be good weather for the Flower Shows.

Judy

Forgot to say, I remember seeing Ted Heath and his band playing the Park - I wonder if it was at one of these shows!

Great programme, Jean. I was working in '53, and would have gone to the show in the park. I think Ted Heath started to play there in about '55. I can't recall seeing him before then, Judy. Brings back lovely memories of summer evenings sitting on the grass and watching the world go by. I reckon that the show was earlier in later years, July/August.

Found this today and thought it might be of interest on this thread. Jean.
Jean - without a doubt I was there both days I would have been 9, we always went both days as there was so much to see. I just loved it and the shows in the tent.
Summer days in the park were as Di. says a great pleasure. Thanks for showing us that. Mo

I remember Handsworth Park for one reason as I was too young to enjoy the beauty of the surroundings. There was a big event thing on the with marquees and parades. I was taken there by my my mom and dad. Unbelievably they set off home without me! I was lying on the ground watching the show and when I looked around they had gone! I was taken to the St. John Ambulance tent where eventually after realising I was missing My Mom came back to get me.

Gosh........

I've only just joined this forum, and after browsing around for a few mins have had an overdose of nostalgia.

In the 50's, as a pupil at Handsworth Kindergarten and Preparatory School in Park Avenue, I used to play cricket every week in the Summer in Handsworth Park. We used to go into the park through the little gate opposite the end of Philip Victor Road.

A few years later, as a pupil at Handsworth Grammar, I spent Summer afternoons catching stickleback in the boating lake with a net and a jamjar, went swimming with the school in Graove Lane Baths,and a few years after that, first experiences with girls, all in Handsworth Park! In the 60's, the sun always seemed to shine in Handsworth Park.

I have lived in Solihull for over 20 years, and haven't been to the park since the 60's - I had no idea it had been refurbished and rescued from ruin!
Excellent - many thanks to the activists :)

Ah yes the shows in Handsworth Park.
The one I remember the most, my Mother (bless her) decided, after hearing my friend and I give an impromptu concert (charging one penny admission for friends) that we could perform in the park. She spent hours making our dutch boy/girl costume and duly entered us for the show. The curtain rose the music played and we were faced with hundreds (or so it seemed) sitting on wooden chairs waiting for us to sing. We looked down scuffing out feet then we looked at one another and were lost. Couldn't stop giggling, the whole audience, with one exception joined in, my Mother though with stitch sore fingers was not amused!

Hi Brummieboy

I also went to Handsworth Kindergarten (Treggies), but only for about a couple of years, so don't remember it much. I know it was in Park Avenue and we used to walk down Vicarage Road to get there. I was there a few years earlier than you - probably the mid 1940's.

I then went to Soho College, and in the summer we used to play Netball and Tennis in Handsworth Park (and chat to the Grammar School boys who always seemed to be there!). We also used to have our swimming lessons at Grove Lane Baths. We were always in the park in the summer to see the Park Shows, Talent Competitions, Dog Shows, Flower shows, and into the tent after they had finished to pick up any flowers left on the grass, Band Shows. Caught tiddlers in the Boating Lake, and as a teenager, meeting friends in the park, and as you say the sun always seemed to be shining .

Judy

Great post Jayell. You were very lucky to have enjoyed Handsworth Park in those halcyon days back then. The park and the area at that time was
a great place to be. I also have happy memories of the Park.

Hi Brummieboy, your recollections almost seem to mirror my own,in that I went to Handsworth Grammar, albeit a bit before you, I left in 1959.As you recall,we used to go to the park at dinnertimes,chatting up the girls,( not getting anywhere ) sailing model boats on the pond,and if I remember correctly,wasn't ther some tennis courts there? I remember trying a cigarette for the first time there,nearly blew my head off.Some of the other pupils used to buy them singly from the little sweetshop in the side road,opposite the entrance near the canteen and bike sheds.Was that sadistic headmaster still there, 'Joe' Walton,he used to love giving the cane.Good job he didn't see some of our antics in the park! Mal.

Hi, Mal,

Good to see so many people having happy 60's memories of Handsworth Park; I actually went to HGS in '59 and also had the cane from "Holy Joe" - haven't forgotten it. I'm still regularly in touch with several ex-pupils, all through Erdington Operatic Society which was run by Lyndon Page - he was the Head of Music at HGS and persuaded a number of 6th Form pupils to join the chorus.

I have many memories of the Birmingham Flower Show in the park - all the huge marquees full of roses, veg etc. (Friday and Saturday in September, I think) and the smell of trodden grass is still in my nostrils. Strange how smells can suddenly take you back years, isn't it? I believe the Flower Show was moved to a park in Perry Barr in the 70's.

Hi Brummieboy,we should start a thread about Handsworth Grammar School,it's all starting to come back to me now.Funny thing, I remember Mr.Page picking me for the school choir,ooh the shame of it,I tried everything to get out of it,and in the end,he gave up on me as a bad job.I think Rev. Joe's no.2, Charlie Peck (our name for him )had left before you started there,perhaps you could let me know.Remember some of the other teachers,'Killer' Keiling (maths),'Friz' Forsdyke,Mr. Gray (geography),and the woodwork teacher,can't remember his name,he also ran the school model aircraft club.Plus of corse Ken 'Yo-Yo Yeates (art).Didn't realise it at the time,but great days.---Mal.

ive fond memories of handsworth park...it used to be a regular trip...we would walk from villa street..along the villa road and down to the park...i remember it seemed like an age to get there..but of course it wasnt really that far...we would go on the boats and catch tiddlers and bring them home in jam jars....take a picnic and spend hours there...ohh and i also took a tumble when i was about 12..broke my collar bone....ive just looked through the family album and although the quality is not that good i have a few pics of us at the park so i will put them on later

astoness

sorry about the creases in a couple of these...

this first one is of dad...me sitting down and bro mark...i wonder who the lad standing up was...

Back