• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth Hall

yes 1956 jan but it says on the map site of ....i dont think the hall was actually still there though and no one including myself remembers seeing it...i am out for the day now but will see if i can find it later than on the 1861 census as said on your post 25

lyn

I wonder if there was some building work just prior to the 1956 map which found the remains of the building hence it being marked on the map. I am not sure why it has since vanished from the maps unless it was found to be less important than first thought.

Well done Down Memory Lane, Lyn will be pleased! Interesting that the property covered Broughton Road and William married Henrietta Broughton. So the land offered for sale in 1854 may have been part of the estate but not the house.

I just found this thread and am stunned! I lived on Radnor Rd not a 5 minute walk. I must have walked or riden past by SO many times!

Hi, just stumbled across this thread trying to find out more. The building is still here and intact, I live on the grounds so can take updated images if you’d like to see how it’s getting on.
Welcome to the Forum Supermariosid! A great place with so much information and helpful folks.

Hi, just stumbled across this thread trying to find out more. The building is still here and intact, I live on the grounds so can take updated images if you’d like to see how it’s getting on.
that is a very kind offer supermariosid....we would appreciate any updated photos when you have the time

cheers

lyn

Can anyone identify the position of Handsworth Hall on here, Radnor Road is middle right?
I can zoom in if a pacific area is found

hamstead-road.jpg

richard according to our new member surpermariosid handsworth hall is still standing which i also find hard to believe..i have taken a street walk from google down hamstead road and hall road and i cant see the hall unless its tucked right back...

lyn

This post refers to the "now demolished house"

However - to confuse matters there is a part of University of Aston which was formerly known as handsworth college and is now called Handsworth Hall.

Is our new member getting confused (as I did) by the names?

Great difficulty getting the two sites on one map. Red line is Hampstead Road, blue line (bottom right) is Radnor Road and right at the top yellow highlighter is the Hanstead site where the present building known as Handsworth Hall is
1635682728786.png

Great difficulty getting the two sites on one map. Red line is Hampstead Road, blue line (bottom right) is Radnor Road and right at the top yellow highlighter is the Hanstead site where the present building known as Handsworth Hall is
View attachment 163122
Janice, I think HH was at the bottom of your page. Across Hamstead from Radnor in that vicinity. This is a great map by the way!

Thanks - I think Lyn's Hall in post #1 was at the bottom and that possibly the one our new member is referring to is on the site marked at the top. Very confusing naming another newer building with an old name.

Back