• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gun Quarter - Proposed Name Change

Please read and if you agree, sign the petition.
Thanks, Jim

Some of you may be aware that it is proposed that the name of the Birmingham Gun Quarter is changed to the invented title of St.Chads and St.Georges for what, it appears, is an effort by a small element of Birmingham City Council Councilors* to remove the "Gun Quarter" from the proud history of this fine city. The reason for this initiative was a 50 signature petition from "residents" of the Newtown and Lozells area of the city, which is some distance away from the industrial Gun Quarter.

For over 250 years our Gunmakers (both men and women) have promoted a secure and safe environment, supported our Armed Forces and produced world class products exported across the globe.

If you feel you would like to support our industry and keep our name and traditions please visit www.savethebirminghamgunquarter.co.uk and register your support.

*It should be noted that several Birmingham City Councilors agree with our views and have signed our petition.

thanks for the reminder shirl...here is the link to the petition..we have 3088 against the change now...:)

Well somethingshould be done the 3447 beats the original 50 hands down. Mom and dad want to sign but don't have a computer or e-mail, can I sign mine more than once or is there another way to do it?
Sue

I have just made it 3537.

Three generations of my grandfathers and their sons, brothers & cousins were gun barrel makers in Birmingham Gun Quarter. The proposed changing of the name is a disgrace to their memory and the memory of thousands of men, women & children who also worked there to help make Birmingham the great city it became.

Whatever the jobsworths on Birmingham City Council think it will always be The Gun Quarter to true Brummies.

Having said that I don't actually see what they can change. As far as I am aware the name doesn't appear on any maps and the postal addesses in the area don't have Gun Quarter in the address or a specific post code. The entire exercise is to placate a few residents who have complained, most of whom probably have no idea what The Gun Quarter represents.

I have just made it 3537.

Three generations of my grandfathers and their sons, brothers & cousins were gun barrel makers in Birmingham Gun Quarter. The proposed changing of the name is a disgrace to their memory and the memory of thousands of men, women & children who also worked there to help make Birmingham the great city it became.

Whatever the jobsworths on Birmingham City Council think it will always be The Gun Quarter to true Brummies.

Having said that I don't actually see what they can change. As far as I am aware the name doesn't appear on any maps and the postal addesses in the area don't have Gun Quarter in the address or a specific post code. The entire exercise is to placate a few residents who have complained, most of whom probably have no idea what The Gun Quarter represents.

hi gunmaker i agree with every word you have said:thumbsup:....as far as my family research goes i have so far not come accross any rellies who worked the gun quarter but for folk like yourself it must be extra sad to read of the proposed changes....i really do hope that for once the powers that be listen to what we the people of birmingham are saying and that this silly idea of changing the name will be overturned asap...

lyn

Please read and if you agree, sign the petition.
Thanks, Jim

Some of you may be aware that it is proposed that the name of the Birmingham Gun Quarter is changed to the invented title of St.Chads and St.Georges for what, it appears, is an effort by a small element of Birmingham City Council Councilors* to remove the "Gun Quarter" from the proud history of this fine city. The reason for this initiative was a 50 signature petition from "residents" of the Newtown and Lozells area of the city, which is some distance away from the industrial Gun Quarter.

For over 250 years our Gunmakers (both men and women) have promoted a secure and safe environment, supported our Armed Forces and produced world class products exported across the globe.

If you feel you would like to support our industry and keep our name and traditions please visit www.savethebirminghamgunquarter.co.uk and register your support.

*It should be noted that several Birmingham City Councilors agree with our views and have signed our petition.

3557 signatures.....:):thumbsup::thumbsup: please pass the petition link onto anyone who you think would like to sign it....

Last edited:
3683have now signed to save the name of the gun quarter...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Just returned from hols and signed, must admit I like Wendies idea of calling it The Old Gun Quarter that should please all concerned.
woofy .

Agree Wendy's idea is an excellent solution. It's a very sensible solution and may even serve to attract more interest to the Quarter. Viv.

Sorry woofi Vi and Paul it wasn't my idea it was Shorties. I just commented I thought it was a good name. I think her name idea is great. I will use the old Gun Quarter now whatever the high and mighty do!

Thank you Wendy, kind of you to mention it, however, it is not that important. What IS important is that we keep the name or one similar and that the history of this area - 300 years of it, is not poured down the drain.

Does anyone know what committee decides the name? We don't take the Mail, so we don't get much in the way of updates, apart from this Forum. The reason I ask is that my daughter is PA to an important Councillor in his day job, and I was wondering if I could have a word put his way? He may not take notice though, although I am prepared to try if it is appropriate.

Shortie

3752 cant be wrong...
thats a great idea shortie...if someone can give you the appropriate details i do hope you can bend some ears..its worth a try.:)

lyn

Well I will if I can. I shall have to ask my daughter first - he is not known for his interest in historical things, but if we can find out if he is on the committee, I will do my best.

Dear everyone,i also thought about calling it the old gun quarter or what about historic,must sign petition now as some of my ancestors were gun makers,Angela

Back