• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Greyhound, Court Lane

Hi Jenny, the long blonde hair has long gone! I don't live far from the Greyhound so when you come mooching perhaps we could meet up. I keep meaning to go to the Greyhound but haven't got there yet. It re-opened some time ago and although I've driven past it countless times, I haven't stopped. Something for the new year I think.

Looking at your earlier post, I think my Dad was friendly with Tom Maddox (not sure how you spell it) and we always called him Uncle Tom. I think he lived in a house at the other side of the shop.

I'm happy to share anything I know about the area but it may be a bit too early for you. We'll have to see.

Pedro, I wonder where that shop was? There was always a greengrocers further down Court Lane, almost at Anderson Road and it was owned by Hetty Haynes. I seem to remember that she had a temporary 'shed' type building. It's strange that the council refused permission and yet I remember Hetty Haynes being there from the 1950's. The greengrocery was very cheap. A relative of hers had a shop in Gravelly Lane and we went there until it closed quite recently.

There was small shop, in the front room of one of the terece houses just near to the Greyhound. It became Bosworths Better Brews, a home brew shop eventualy

Hi Jenny, the long blonde hair has long gone! I don't live far from the Greyhound so when you come mooching perhaps we could meet up. I keep meaning to go to the Greyhound but haven't got there yet. It re-opened some time ago and although I've driven past it countless times, I haven't stopped. Something for the new year I think.

Looking at your earlier post, I think my Dad was friendly with Tom Maddox (not sure how you spell it) and we always called him Uncle Tom. I think he lived in a house at the other side of the shop.

I'm happy to share anything I know about the area but it may be a bit too early for you. We'll have to see.
Lady P
Tom Maddox lived in the house that was the last of the prewar houses opposite 396. Next to that were the old cottages that I assumed were demolished for new houses. He had a son Barry who would walk around the garden playing the Saxophone or rather practicising on it. Prior to the Maddox moving to the house, it was occupied by Oscar Cotton who was the pastor/vicar/superintendent of Chester Road Baptist Church were my sister and I used to go (walk there and walk back), before we moved to St Michaels. Oscar used to ride an Autocycle, make unknown (and at this point, hopefully, Pedrocut, Radiorails or DavidGrain will provide a picture). You had to pedal to get the motor started and he had a basket on the front for his church books etc, he used to wear a white military style mac. I remember that greengrocers vaguely and the veg and fruit were cheaper. Was the one on Gravelly Lane, the one just up from the Wrensons store on the corner? Don't know now what the road up from Gravelly Lane to Court Lane was. Sorry this has moved slightly away from The Greyhound, perhaps it should be titled Greyhound and Court Lane. Reverting to the Greyhound, hot summer weekends when the people from further down Court Lane after a day in Sutton Park, stopped off for a swift one on their way home and the children sat, stood and ran scattered around with pop and crisps...oh happy days. What was Charlie Edwards father's first name, I remember he had dark well combed Brycreemed hair, always kept the pub neat and tidy and clean. When did Mrs Davies close her shop?
Bob

Stockland Motor Tours: AGENT...MADDOX, 363, Court Lane FEB 1951

Also 1951 there is an Oscar J. Cotton, Headmaster of Wylde Green College.

hi bob, the road from gravelly lane to court lane is goosemoor lane and I remember cycling from court lane to the church of Christ Sunday school in goosemoor lane every week but waiting until I had heard the Dick Barton omnibus so I was always a bit late and the teacher Mr.Lamping would wait in the road for me. The shop which was owned by a Mr Kirby who lived opposite then the Lawrence’s then Mr Moore. I was a friend of Shirley Lawrence and for her Birthday one year her father took Shirley, me and I’m not sure but either Charlie Edwards or Barry Maddox to Sutton Park on three of Chipmans Donkeys, we processed down Boldmere road in great style - not much traffic back then. I lived by the Greyhound from 1936-60 when I got married and my memories are so clear. A mrs Milner lived in the large White detached house ( which lay way back from the road)beside the path down to the Barracks and in one of the cottages next lived the Wells who had a couple of sons I think but I remember a Bernard Wells. There are so many things going round in my head now, I think I need to calm down.
Chrissyp

hi bob, the road from gravelly lane to court lane is goosemoor lane and I remember cycling from court lane to the church of Christ Sunday school in goosemoor lane every week but waiting until I had heard the Dick Barton omnibus so I was always a bit late and the teacher Mr.Lamping would wait in the road for me. The shop which was owned by a Mr Kirby who lived opposite then the Lawrence’s then Mr Moore. I was a friend of Shirley Lawrence and for her Birthday one year her father took Shirley, me and I’m not sure but either Charlie Edwards or Barry Maddox to Sutton Park on three of Chipmans Donkeys, we processed down Boldmere road in great style - not much traffic back then. I lived by the Greyhound from 1936-60 when I got married and my memories are so clear. A mrs Milner lived in the large White detached house ( which lay way back from the road)beside the path down to the Barracks and in one of the cottages next lived the Wells who had a couple of sons I think but I remember a Bernard Wells. There are so many things going round in my head now, I think I need to calm down.
Chrissyp

Not a good picture but from Birmingham Daily Post August 1974...
4E173EC9-2B7E-44CD-88F4-17B46ED173A1.jpeg348CF0CD-16AB-4E90-B3EB-555593CBF079.jpeg

Hi Penny
If you read the post from chrissy p, that's my sister, she remembers far more about Mr Maddocks and the shops than I do. She may be older than me but she has a much better memory. In fact I am learning all the time, I didn't know she had ridden on Chipmans donkeys. We are going to have a drive around tomorrow, so I will let you know our thoughts. It would be great to meet up , stretch our memories, dig up some names we both remember.
Jenny

Chrissyp
A strange coincidence I lived in Court Lane from 1936 - December 23rd 1959 when I got married. Yes I know Goosemoor Lane as the last time I was up in Birmingham I took the pilgrimage around all the places I knew, no the road I was trying to remember refers to a photo in the Wrensons thread post number 158 and I know it was either Somerset Road or Norfolk Road that the Wrensons store was on the corner of. The Milners lived in 394 Court Lane and on the other side were the Greys at 398. Betty Milner's mother/mother in law (we always called her old Mrs Milner) lived in the old cottages next to Cotton/Maddox House. The Chipmans of course lived in the Barracks cottages with their donkeys in the field and as you said every day in summer they walked to Sutton Park and back. However I have a picture of a house with Chipman on the side allegedly in Goosemoor Lane and I have never been able to discover where or who and the other strange thing is that it came with a group of family photographs which were all supposed to be connected with our families.

Bob

Had an interesting morning with my Sister, we first went to the Library and made an appt to use their computers with free access to search sites and also were advised to see Ann who apparently is an expert in Family History searches. We went into the Greyhound, had Coffee and a chat with the only other person in there, the Manager Sara was interested in our quest to find when it was built, she said would be very interested to know. Sara also told us of an old customer called Donald who she thinks researches a lot and who we would love to chat to. The only Donald we remember was a young man that our Mother liked, so much that she called our Goldfish Gordon because that was what she thought the guys name was.We couldn’t change the Goldfish name because Dad said it answered to Gordon. Couldn’t possibly be the same person, or could it?

Really looking forward to our next visit to Library on Monday. Chrissyp

Jenny
Hi Penny
If you read the post from chrissy p, that's my sister, she remembers far more about Mr Maddocks and the shops than I do. She may be older than me but she has a much better memory. In fact I am learning all the time, I didn't know she had ridden on Chipmans donkeys. We are going to have a drive around tomorrow, so I will let you know our thoughts. It would be great to meet up , stretch our memories, dig up some names we both remember.
Jenny

JennyM, sorry for the delay in replying - I don't always get alerts show up so I will have to remember to check everything.
How did you get on with your trip down memory lane? I'll go back on this thread and make sure I haven't missed anything else! I remember the donkeys but never got to ride on one.

A strange coincidence I lived in Court Lane from 1936 - December 23rd 1959 when I got married. Yes I know Goosemoor Lane as the last time I was up in Birmingham I took the pilgrimage around all the places I knew, no the road I was trying to remember refers to a photo in the Wrensons thread post number 158 and I know it was either Somerset Road or Norfolk Road that the Wrensons store was on the corner of. The Milners lived in 394 Court Lane and on the other side were the Greys at 398. Betty Milner's mother/mother in law (we always called her old Mrs Milner) lived in the old cottages next to Cotton/Maddox House. The Chipmans of course lived in the Barracks cottages with their donkeys in the field and as you said every day in summer they walked to Sutton Park and back. However I have a picture of a house with Chipman on the side allegedly in Goosemoor Lane and I have never been able to discover where or who and the other strange thing is that it came with a group of family photographs which were all supposed to be connected with our families.

Bob
Bob, the road you're talking about is Somerset and the next one down is Norfolk.
I think the house in Goosemoor Lane had an advert for the Chipman's who lived on Chester Road. I seem to remember that Charles Chipman was a coal dealer / chimney sweep. Haven't worked out where on Chester Road though. There was a Chipman family in Goosemoore Lane near the end towards Gravelly Lane. Perhaps they just had the advertising sign for Charles?

Bob, the road you're talking about is Somerset and the next one down is Norfolk.
I think the house in Goosemoor Lane had an advert for the Chipman's who lived on Chester Road. I seem to remember that Charles Chipman was a coal dealer / chimney sweep. Haven't worked out where on Chester Road though. There was a Chipman family in Goosemoore Lane near the end towards Gravelly Lane. Perhaps they just had the advertising sign for Charles?
The coal merchant was just beyond Lakehouse road in the old terraced houses and there was a ladies hairdresser around there also. I know that the coalman was not beyond Sycamore/Beech whichever comes first after Lakehouse. Apparently somewhere in our back story through the Smallwood branch of our family there was a Chipman connection, but I have never been able to find out what it was. The other strange thing about the Smallwoods, my GGrandmother on my mothers side was born a Smallwood and my Great Aunt on my fathers side married a Smallwood, but having studied the Smallwood history they were not related in fact the origin of my Fathers uncle has always been shrouded in mystery, but I digress, more interesting it would be good to see what Kellys had for Chipmans in Court Lane, Goosemore Lane and Chester Road. Cue for the experts to open their files and provide the detail.

Bob

Hello, I stumbled on this thread when I joined as a new member this week and have been delighted to come across posts about Court Lane where I lived at 407 Court Lane from 0 - 3 yrs old. My great grandfather was Thomas Henry Milner who lived in the house or cottage mentioned in a previous post in this thread. My grandmother was also brought up in the same house, Rose Cottage, which I had thought was No. 386 Court Lane, please correct me if I'm wrong. Rose Cottage was almost directly over the road to the lodge for the former college and just a few yards down the road from the Greyhound, where I think my grandfather was a regular fixture. I don't think they owned the house but perhaps rented it from the College but they lived there from around the 1890's I think until the 1950's at least. Does anyone know when the cottage was demolished? Betty and Eric Milner (Eric was my grandmother's step-brother) lived close by and when my mom married (Thomas Milner's granddaughter) she moved into 407 Court Lane. I'm going to try to attach a photo of Rose Cottage for you, hope it works. If anyone has any other stories or memories of the house or of the Milners I'd love to hear them. I moved back to Birmingham for a few years in the late 60's and have lots of happy memories of Erdington and Sutton etc

Attachments

• Rose Cottage postcard.JPG
    Rose Cottage postcard.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Rose Cottage.JPG
    Rose Cottage.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 33
Hello, I stumbled on this thread when I joined as a new member this week and have been delighted to come across posts about Court Lane where I lived at 407 Court Lane from 0 - 3 yrs old. My great grandfather was Thomas Henry Milner who lived in the house or cottage mentioned in a previous post in this thread. My grandmother was also brought up in the same house, Rose Cottage, which I had thought was No. 386 Court Lane, please correct me if I'm wrong. Rose Cottage was almost directly over the road to the lodge for the former college and just a few yards down the road from the Greyhound, where I think my grandfather was a regular fixture. I don't think they owned the house but perhaps rented it from the College but they lived there from around the 1890's I think until the 1950's at least. Does anyone know when the cottage was demolished? Betty and Eric Milner (Eric was my grandmother's step-brother) lived close by and when my mom married (Thomas Milner's granddaughter) she moved into 407 Court Lane. I'm going to try to attach a photo of Rose Cottage for you, hope it works. If anyone has any other stories or memories of the house or of the Milners I'd love to hear them. I moved back to Birmingham for a few years in the late 60's and have lots of happy memories of Erdington and Sutton etc
Lived next door to Eric & Betty until 1959 they lived at 394, thanks for reminding me it was called Rose Cottage over the road, remember old Mrs Milner very well.

Bob

Lived next door to Eric & Betty until 1959 they lived at 394, thanks for reminding me it was called Rose Cottage over the road, remember old Mrs Milner very well.

Bob
Such a small world really. I lived at 407 from end 1955 until about 1959. so same time as you were just up the road. My gran moved to Harcourt Road and we visited regularly even after moving away, until she died in the 1970's. It looks as if Rose Cottage gave way to Fosseway Drive. Must go back for a look round.

Such a small world really. I lived at 407 from end 1955 until about 1959. so same time as you were just up the road. My gran moved to Harcourt Road and we visited regularly even after moving away, until she died in the 1970's. It looks as if Rose Cottage gave way to Fosseway Drive. Must go back for a look round.
Had s drive round recently, discovered a big estate with empty shops in Chipmans old field and an estate that ran behind our old house, between the houses and the cemetery. I was born at 369 which was above the Greyhound. Where was 407?
Bob

Looking in the Newspaper Archives I came upon this sad news from the 9th of September 1916 concerning Horace Milner.
RIP

Screenshot 2018-12-14 at 22.44.52.pngScreenshot 2018-12-14 at 22.44.52.png

Had s drive round recently, discovered a big estate with empty shops in Chipmans old field and an estate that ran behind our old house, between the houses and the cemetery. I was born at 369 which was above the Greyhound. Where was 407?
Bob
I don’t remember the cemetery but 407 was a semi detached in a short row of houses that ran almost from opposite the Lodge house, which I think is still there, up to the corner with Chester Rd. I think they were built in the mid ‘50s but I don’t know if they’re still there.

Linzee, I love the photos of Rose Cottage. I'm researching the area around them from the present line of the Chester Road to the Greyhound pub and up to Beech Road. It's in Sutton but most people think it's in Erdington. It's a bit of 'no man's land'.

Last edited:
My wife seems to think that the Chipmans lived in Rose Cottage the drive way between Rose Cottage and the Greyhound was where Chips kept the donkeys.
The donkeys was used in Sutton Park Pleasure grounds, And later at the Theme park at Kingsbury.
Bunny Chipman worked at Hams Hall B power station he was a fitters mate but that was his part time job his donkeys and fair ground activities was his name job.
Charles Chipman Lived 23 Chester Rd He was coal merchant and his wife Francis was the Chimney Sweep 1891 1901

Perhaps the Chipmans lived there later? The Milners were there for many years. They are listed in the 1911 census at that address. I can remember the dark little interior in the 1950’s when I visited my step great grandmother. I have a few family photos taken in the garden but sadly none of the surrounding area.

Back