• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

Philbee
Sometimes attachments don't attach successfully, but in the cases you refer to these are due to the introduction of new software a couple of yearts ago. During the transfer of data to the new system a number of images were lost. If there are any particular ones you are interested in, then a request on the thread concerned for them to be reposted might be succesfull
mike

Philbee

If you know the number of the post where a photo is missing and it is one of mine just give me the number of the post and I will replace it.

Phil

Richie

Having been a H.G.V. driver and an operator of a Transport & Haulage company I know exactly what you mean concerning cutting pavement corners especially when room was tight. In this case I don't think road safety is the reason because I can't think of another single example in Birmingham where a kerb has been raised other than to stop people parking on grass verges. If I give it some thought then I suppose it would have been done to match the road surface height of the new roads and to take out the previous slope downward across Prospect Row.

Phil

shedman
is there any chance you could repost the following images as cannot see them they were posted on 11/1/2011 the posts are#1962/#1969 and #1971 for some reason there is a message from photobucket saying they have been removed
phil

philbee. Well I obviously loved the pictures you mention, because Ive just been back for a look, and saw my comment. I do hope that shedman can re-post them, because they where good.

Looking at Shedmans posts he didn,t post much and has not been on for some time maybe he has stopped posting and removed his photos for some reason. Dek

I worked at Heneage Metals in the early 70's. They were general scrap metal merchants and also manufatured non ferrous ingots, such as gunmental and phophor bronze. The people in the photo are sand casting a component and would have used previously cast ingots, remelted to do this. I am not sure the photo is Heneage Metals as I believe they did not do any sand casting. I the 70's Castle works was a general engineering company producing sheet metal fabrications.

dek, Nice photograph, I am pleased to see this old thread still supported. I don't seem to be able to get to Birmingham these days so it is nice to see photographs of this area, Thank You dek.

View attachment 10785 View attachment 10802
My Treasured Photograph! My Gran's house at the bottom of the yard.
No prizes for guessing who that little kid is at the bottom of the yard. When I first saw this Photograph I could see that I buttoned up my coat in the wrong button holes, it all came back to me.
This is 13 court Coleman Street taken around 1943 or 4.
View attachment 10826and view of the Brew-us.

hi ernie...i am looking pics of 6 back of 8 for a friend who was born there....would court 13 have been close to that do you know...

thanks ernie...

lyn

Ernie,

I don't know if this has been put up before. Its a snap of Goodrick St, Lingard St from its junction. It must have been taken in the mid sixties when they started to demolish up there. It might be of interest to Brian Baker.

Phil.

would that be bloomsbury st girls school on the right...a friend said she went there but it was called bloomsbury girls st girls school but it was in goodrick st which is confusing me....

thanks mike....can you post a map please showing where 6 back of 8 would have been...

thank you mike...

lyn

would that be bloomsbury st girls school on the right...a friend said she went there but it was called bloomsbury girls st girls school but it was in goodrick st which is confusing me....

Lyn

I don't think it was ever officially called Bloomsbury "Street" school, but Bloomsbury School because it was in the district of what was once known as Bloomsbury. The school (see map) was situated between Goodrich St and Lingard St this also could cause confusion.

Phil

Nechellsmap.jpg

thats great phil thanks....crikey i get lost in me own back yard so this did confuse me..lol...

cheers

Lyn
court 13 is in red on the map.
Slight difficulty with back 8. Back 8 would be court 3 (in blue), but the 1889 map and the 1920 electoral roll only show 5 houses in this court, . there seems to be no houses backing onto the street houses, so perhaps one was subdivided and called no 6 back 8

Mike

Map_c_1889_coleman_st.jpg

Ernie

My old mate I know you have been looking for a photo of this business at the bottom of Cato St for a long time now. Well I came across this one the other day. It is C.C.Ward Scrap Merchants.

Phil

NechellsCatoSt2.jpg

Whilst I am on this thread can I make an appeal to anybody who has posted photos on it to try to replace them. In my opinion it is one of the most interesting and informative threads on the forum. Just full of information and memories and of course photos. It certainly must be one of the longest and most used threads on the site. I am working my way to it gradually as I am replacing my photos by date they were posted from the latest to the earliest.

If anyone has got a difficulty in replacing a photo, send me a PM as I might have a copy or a similar photo you can use.

Phil

i agree with phil this is the best thread on the site and i have been on it a lot but since the photo problem i am unable to see most of the photos posted so please if you can repost you will make an old boy very happy as i do not have any of the area that i grew up in!
phill

Hello Phil started re-reading this thread just to remind me of the information that,s on here,it,s a big job replacing all the photos I wonder if Ernie is up to replacing his There are people on here that no longer post so sadly it,s a crying shame that there will be many posts that will be missing there photos. Dek

Hello Phil started re-reading this thread just to remind me of the information that,s on here,it,s a big job replacing all the photos I wonder if Ernie is up to replacing his There are people on here that no longer post so sadly it,s a crying shame that there will be many posts that will be missing there photos. Dek

Dek

Yes I wondered that about Ernie myself, but I'm sure if he feels he is not up to it one of the moderators will help him out. As for members who no longer post to the forum for various reasons, we have been assured that the Mod team will replace those photos that they can. So can I make the same offer to them as I have made to other posters on this thread. If you cant find the right photo, ask me because I might have a copy or another that is near enough.

Phil

Phil
I have replaced the maps etc that I could fin in my files. One or two I could not, but may do better when the photos they go with are replaced. One thing, for some reason I put some Kellys data on as a Word file (don't ask me why, I don't know), and i notice that word files (and presumably other non-photo files) can't be put on coppermine. Can understand why, as it is a photo site, but there might occasionally be occasions when one wanted to attach files of this sort , and this doesn't now seem possible

Many Thanks Phil for your help, I hope my little help restore BHWR as it was before.

hi ernie...nice to hear from from and please as phil says just look after yourself and pop onto the forum when you are able to...i have been thinking about this thread and i reckon its best if at the moment i do not repost any pics as phil is really the best one to do this....i shall concentrate on other threads...

talk soon ernie...

take care...

lyn..x

Phil you are once again doing sterling work. Many thanks for your efforts. And Ernie, you take it easy. You are more important to the site than your pictures.

Hi Colin

I know all about Vauxhall Gardens the Victorian/ Edwardian Pleasure Gardens, but its Vauxhall Gardens school that has got me baffled. The only school I can remember off Vauxhall Rd is my old school St Vincents down Vauxhall Rd.

It seems I didn't know the area as well as I thought I did, either that or I have lost it somewhere in this befuddled brain of mine.

Phil.

Hi Phil reading the old posts ,I,m Sure you have found more out about Vauxhall Gardens School But for those that wish to know The school was built early 60s on the corner of Barrack St.and St James St it is still there.I believe you had left the area by then thats why you have no memory of it. Dek

Back