• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Goldsby Bert The Tyseley Terror

migou

proper brummie kid
Can anyone help please? I have tried to research this villain involved with The Peaky Blinders as an enforcer. I have contacted Carl Chinn who mentioned him in his history on line, but it's only his name - not what he did. Carl didn't reply so I'm hoping someone out there has stories about him. There is a rumour that he was one of the last hanged but no record exists in executions. I was told he was convicted of assaulted and robbing his uncle who was blind! Any help appreciated. Thanks.

No mentions in the newspaper archive for a Bert or Albert Goldsby, except for an attempt to claim compensation after being in a sidecar hit by a tram

No mentions in the newspaper archive for a Bert or Albert Goldsby, except for an attempt to claim compensation after being in a sidecar hit by a tram
Thanks for this. Do you know the date and which paper? Cheers.

The report below is from the Birmingham Gazette,17.9.1955. There were also almost identical reports in the Birmingham post on the same date and the Birmingham Mail on the 16th
Birm Gazette.17.9.1915.jpg

Further to the help on this, Ray Green has kindly posted the newspaper article about Goldsby and his attempt to gain "compensation" from BCT for the tram "accident" from 1955. This is much later than I thought as family members tell me he just disappeared without trace (no date known). This case must have taken time to get to court as the last tram ran in 1952?
Hanging stopped in the early 60's and there is no record of his hanging in the official records. Raises the question; with his history, record and "friends" could he have been terminated? It's a shot in the dark (sorry) but does anybody have more on him? The family remember after him receiving a sentence he threatened the judge that he would "get him". On release he did and the judge spent time in hospital.
Why is so little known about this Brummie "character"? Thanks for the help; lets get him the notoriety he craved.

I think the newspaper report was from 1915. This Albert Henry Goldsby is living at 5 Moseley Terrace on 1921 census and ERs from 1920 to 1935. Death appears to be registered Jun qtr 1939 Bham.

There are quite a few mentions of Albert's son William. And another of his sons, Frank, appears to be in prison 1911.

Last edited:
MWS & Mikejee thanks for the futher info. I've contaced BBC Midlands regarding this forotten rogue from Birminghsm's past and Mike Lockley has shown and interest. With Peaky Blinders coming to an end it would make an interesting follow up as there must be other villains from Brum to tell their stories. (No names no pack drill for the more recent ones who could have live relatives?)

Last edited:
Can anyone help please? I have tried to research this villain involved with The Peaky Blinders as an enforcer. I have contacted Carl Chinn who mentioned him in his history on line, but it's only his name - not what he did. Carl didn't reply so I'm hoping someone out there has stories about him. There is a rumour that he was one of the last hanged but no record exists in executions. I was told he was convicted of assaulted and robbing his uncle who was blind! Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Hello there. The "Tyseley Terror" was William "Bill/Billy" Goldsby and was my grandfather. Carl Chinn talks about him a lot in his latest book, "Peaky Blinders - the aftermath". He wasn't hanged however he did appear in court over 50 times (that's just when he was caught, imagine the real tally?!

Further to the help on this, Ray Green has kindly posted the newspaper article about Goldsby and his attempt to gain "compensation" from BCT for the tram "accident" from 1955. This is much later than I thought as family members tell me he just disappeared without trace (no date known). This case must have taken time to get to court as the last tram ran in 1952?
Hanging stopped in the early 60's and there is no record of his hanging in the official records. Raises the question; with his history, record and "friends" could he have been terminated? It's a shot in the dark (sorry) but does anybody have more on him? The family remember after him receiving a sentence he threatened the judge that he would "get him". On release he did and the judge spent time in hospital.
Why is so little known about this Brummie "character"? Thanks for the help; lets get him the notoriety he craved.
Hi there, The Tyseley Terror was my Grandad William (Billy). He was so "active" (putting it VERY mildly) that the family even wanted to change their surname, which I'm glad that they didn't. He has several pages to himself in Carl Chinn's latest book. I was bought up on tales of my Grandad but never met him, he passed before I was born. Most of his children, my mom, aunts and uncles have passed away now and I wonder what they'd have to say about all of this lol. I wish that I could remember more of the tales

Sounds quite a "character". From what I've read I wouldn't like to cross him. No one has any firm info on what happened to him but I thought there was a record of his death in the late 40's? Is there any more information out there? Newspapers? Thanks for your help.

Sounds quite a "character". From what I've read I wouldn't like to cross him. No one has any firm info on what happened to him but I thought there was a record of his death in the late 40's? Is there any more information out there? Newspapers? Thanks for your help.

Hi there, he was a "character" by all accounts. I remember mom telling me when I was little that when the police came to arrest him (a very normal thing apparently), they'd turn up 7 or 8 handed and wouldn't enter the house. She remembers them calling up to him "come on Billy, you know that you have to come with us" without man handling him - he was too much to deal with. He'd have a shave and take his time and go with them when he was ready. Carl is the best person to talk to about him. Carl interviewed my Uncle Frank (Goldsby) on several occasions too, who would have told Carl loads of stories. Frank was a really interesting man. He was the Coldsteam Guards youngest sergeant major at the age of just 21!!

Many thanks. I'm going to the Old Crown for one of Carl's talks and if I can I'll try and grab a word with him. It's a mystery why there isn't more known about Bert. Maybe Stephen Knight can do a series about him like Peaky Blinders? Would be good to keep Brum in the spotlight.

Many thanks. I'm going to the Old Crown for one of Carl's talks and if I can I'll try and grab a word with him. It's a mystery why there isn't more known about Bert. Maybe Stephen Knight can do a series about him like Peaky Blinders? Would be good to keep Brum in the spotlight.
That would be great (a series). I don't know of a "Bert" but can guarantee that the Tyseley Terror was Bill Goldsby. If you speak to Carl, tell him that you've been chatting with Heath, Bill Goldsby's grandson

I believe I picked up a reference to "William (known as Bill or occasionally Bert) Goldsby in a newspaper article.

William didn't start off very well he was an inmate at the Shawbury Industrial (reform) school age 13 in 1911.
Is this the same William whose record of his prison term for burglary reads
Sentenced on 25th Nov 1930 released 27.July 1932
on his right arm tattoos of Dagger, MAY, and a serpent and on his left forearm BUFFALO BILL.

Last edited:
William didn't start off very well he was an inmate at the Shawbury Industrial (reform) school age 13 in 1911.
Is this the same William whose record of his prison term for burglary reads
Sentenced on 25th Nov 1930 released 27.July 1932
on his right arm tattoos of Dagger, MAY, and a serpent and on his left forearm BUFFALO BILL.
Interestingly, there was an American Goldsby Called "Cherokee Bill Goldsby" who apparently was a real handful

Update on BILL (aka Bert) Goldsby. He died at The General Hospital on 7 December 1945 following an operation for stomach cancer and subsequent peritonitis. Address given 43 Camp Hill and the informant was his wife Mrs M G Goldsby. Anyone got any more info? I have spoken with Carl Chinn and he knows a lot about him and his reputation!

Update on BILL (aka Bert) Goldsby. He died at The General Hospital on 7 December 1945 following an operation for stomach cancer and subsequent peritonitis. Address given 43 Camp Hill and the informant was his wife Mrs M G Goldsby. Anyone got any more info? I have spoken with Carl Chinn and he knows a lot about him and his reputation!
seems a clash of death dates...post 7 says he may have died in 1939 but if you have his death cert then 1945 must be the correct date...sounds a very interesting man leading a very colourful life... :rolleyes:

lyn

William F. Goldsby and Mary G, goldsby are listed in camp hill in 1945. Mary was still there in the last online electoral roll in 1965. He does not appear on the Birmingham rolls in 1939 or before

seems a clash of death dates...post 7 says he may have died in 1939 but if you have his death cert then 1945 must be the correct date...sounds a very interesting man leading a very colourful life... :rolleyes:

lyn
Thanks for you reply. I have a copy of the death certificate number 409, shows his age as 49. Builders labourer. If anyone has different info it could be a mix up in names/dates? This cert seems to be correct with the address being Camp Hill? Carl Chinn's family lived in the same street as the Goldsbys - Hick Street. Long Gone, but close to the Stratford Road.
Any other info from anyone?

on the 1939 eve of war register he is with his wife and 5 others at woodstock road birmingham

lyn

on the 1939 eve of war register he is with his wife and 5 others at woodstock road birmingham

lyn
Thanks. There are a couple of others I know interested in finding out more about this villain. I am told one is following up on his offspring to fill out the story. My sources tell me he was disowned by his family?

Can anyone help please? I have tried to research this villain involved with The Peaky Blinders as an enforcer. I have contacted Carl Chinn who mentioned him in his history on line, but it's only his name - not what he did. Carl didn't reply so I'm hoping someone out there has stories about him. There is a rumour that he was one of the last hanged but no record exists in executions. I was told he was convicted of assaulted and robbing his uncle who was blind! Any help appreciated. Tha

Back