• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ghost signs of Birmingham

:p All right I won't ask then. I only know some bits as my Dad had rellies at Amington near Tamworth and we used to visit them occasionally.

hello elmdon boy i knew someone would ask ..the pub was selling baby goats and they looked so cute so on one of those without thinking whims we came home with one and we had a nice brick built out house for his home....thought he would also be useful to keep the grass down in our large back garden which he was...then charlie got bigger and stronger and twice he escaped from his tether causing all sorts of problems on his first escape we found him ambling up our road:D....we had a gully at the back of our gardens and on his second escape there was a lady walking down the gully with a bag of shopping...charlie decided to butt her from behind...the poor woman thought she was being mugged...dropped her shopping and ran:eek:that was it he had to go so we took him to a farm on barr beacon who was happy to give him home..well you did ask..:D

lyn

Last edited:
Lovely story Lyn, I'm glad I asked.
Shows you must be a big softie.
Funny enough I visited a small breeds farm near Kington in Herefordshire yesterday, and they had some newly born kids (goats) in the pens, they were only a few days old. I can see why you were taken in by them. The one kept on jumping up and standing on its upturned plastic food bowl, and then slipping off, very amusing. If you had been there you might have been walking away with another goat under your arm;)

Lovely story Lyn, I'm glad I asked.
Shows you must be a big softie.
Funny enough I visited a small breeds farm near Kington in Herefordshire yesterday, and they had some newly born kids (goats) in the pens, they were only a few days old. I can see why you were taken in by them. The one kept on jumping up and standing on its upturned plastic food bowl, and then slipping off, very amusing. If you had been there you might have been walking away with another goat under your arm;)

oh gosh no thank you...i couldnt stand the stress at my age:D

this could be a new one...passed it on the bus today.. corner of birchfield road and hatfield road perry barr....i can make out the word builder i think.the view is from 2008 as the sign was a tad clearer than it is now

Attachments

• ghost sign.jpg
    ghost sign.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 32
i thought it said 180 albert?? i put the location with the pic froth...corner of hatfield road and birchfield road

Don't think this has been posted before. Spotted this sign yesterday in Redstone Farm Road, Solihull/Hall Green. Street view obscured by telegraph pole - I will try to go there again tomorrow and get a better photo. Typhoo tea again! No it is Twinings now I look again.
upload_2018-4-14_11-48-27.png

Last edited:
Zissmans ghost sign on the Coventry Road. I've seen it from the bus, but not got a photo of it yet. So here's the Google Street Maps View of it! It's opposite one of the entrances to the Sheldon Country Park.

Zissmans Coventry Road.jpg

Here we are the Twining's sign up close from post '#855. It is very faint and does not look in good condition.

Attachments

• Redstone 1.jpg
    Redstone 1.jpg
    735.2 KB · Views: 18
A couple of ghost signs seen in Cannock near the Cannock Road.

WINSKIP
PLUMBERS &
HOUSE DECORATORS

This one is harder to read! Something to do with Fertilisers?

Ell. I think your fertiliser ghost sign has an owl on a perch to the left and the writing to the right reads:

"The .... Gardener
Shops Here
For Seeds, Fertilisers
& Supplies
"

Between The .. Gardener must be a word like 'wise' hence the owl. Although 'wise' doesn't fit. Viv.

Gosh Viv, how did you manage to read that! I can only just about see the owl and I also thought 'wise' when I read your translation.

Back