• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Getting the priorities right

K

Kandor

On the day London saw it's 19th murder due to knife crime,
Gordon Brown appealed to the public to cut food wastage..
Nice to know he still has a grasp on reality.

Cutting down on our wasted food - please explain how that will make the crops grow in third world countries? Exporting the 'mountains' of spare food that gets trashed in Europe to keep prices stable (high?) would make it exorbitantly expensive in those places. I fail to see the point.
Listen, Mr Brown - fix knife crime today, food waste will wait till tomorrow.
Dammitall, Mr Blobby would make a better politician than the clowns we have in power today.

Hello Lloyd...the simple truth is, food is only really wasted by those that can afford to.
Right on the mark with the European wastage though..
Thousands of tons left to rot, hectares of land left fallow, all to sustain artificially high prices..lets face it, when did you hear of a Tescos, Asdas or Sainburys going bankrupt? if I remember correctly, the companies are bought out for millions, if not billions.

Do these politicians live on THIS planet?. I darn't start I wouldn't know when to stop. Jean.:stressed:

Just a quickie, does anyone on the forum have any idea's on how to cut knife crime?

Get the youngsters to see that carrying a knife isn't 'cool' (or whatever this year's word for it is) and that it will earn them a long time in prison. Not easy, but the best way to attack the problem.

You are so right Lloyd it's like alcohol if they don't drink the other's call them pussies. It's a fashion thing but I am not sure how we to make it "un cool"

Why would anyone want a knife any bigger than a swiss army knife, yet on Ebay I can get a 18" hunting knife for the price of a fish and chip supper. Perhaps I need one in case a rampaging, half crazed Buffalo attacks me while I am walking through the City Centre. :explode:

Get the youngsters to see that carrying a knife isn't 'cool' (or whatever this year's word for it is) and that it will earn them a long time in prison. Not easy, but the best way to attack the problem.

The problem however Lloyd is in this day and age, carrying a knife will not get you a term in prison. Infact, committing murder you are most likely to be given a 5 year sentence, of which you will only serve 2. So youngsters dont care about law, because they know that if they did get caught for anything, they would most likely only get community service, or better, an ASBO.

In some cases, youngsters like to get these ASBO's as they use it like a medal. I find it horrific, but then when I was a kid, you wouldnt see women without clothes on TV, or deailed documentaries on war etc shown before the watershed. However now it is classed as "Politically Correct" so is allowed.

Ahh, dont get me started!!

Keith

Bleeding heart do gooders have dragged this country so far down as regards disciplin, there are no consequences for ANY actions these days and we are now laughed at, not just by the criminal element in this country but also by the rest of the world. It is a fact that you will serve more time locked up for fraud than you will for murder, If you are a law abiding person you have no rights, you only get them when you break the law
Think i had better stop or i won't get any sleep sitting here all night

bren

Why Don,t The Goverment Bring In Conscription I,m Sure This Would Change Them
Good Hard Disaplin Is The Answer, Let Them See The Front Line Of Action ,And Let Them
See For Them Selves When There Best Mate Is Killed It Would Surely Frightened Them
And Change There Way Of Thinking, Its No Good Locking Them Up Because They Learn More About Crime , In There And When Willy Whitelaw Introduced The Boot Camps What Of Old Codge Whallop That Was If You Do Work Out And Excercise
It Makes Your Body Feel More Superior And Makes You Feel That You Fear No-one And Nothink ,And It Makes You Feel Like A One Mans Army ,But The Fact Of The Matter Is We Are Struggling In This Country And We Ain,t Got The Fineance To Keep These Animals , Plus The Half Or Not Three Parts Of The Kids Are Totolly Think And Our Weapons Are To Advance For Them To Know Where To Begin With Our Weaponary Its Cost Money To Lock Them Up In Prison ,And It Cost Money To Keep Them In The Forces But At Least It Would Curb Them And Change , And Give Or Teach Respect To Others And The Ones Whom Committed Murder Should Be Hanged
A Life For A Life ,

Why Don,t The Goverment Bring In Conscription

1. Cost
2. The forces don't want conscriptees
3. The do-gooders would demand Health and Safety protection for them - it'd be an easier life than prison.
4. It would make them fitter, more effective killing machines

Teach respect? You can't teach those who won't learn.

I don't disagree with your values, Astonian, but the solution is not in the individual, it is in changing a whole section of society's outlook on life - and I don't know how to do that.

Are things really that bad anyway? The newspapers are full of the results of modern gang culture and knife crime, but where are the stories about the other 95% (or insert you own figure if you think it's less) who do behave, don't mix with gangs, don't carry knives and guns, don't hang about street corners making 'no-go' areas? Good news doesn't sell newspapers.

Food how wasteful when at the G eight summit they all whoofed down a 6 course meal at lunch and an 8 course meal for dinner. When the food crisis topped the list, why on earth don't these people get real??????

The way I see it the people support the Government and in turn the government supports its people. . .

The first priority comes the health for all its citizens. Secondly access to education by teachers who have good moral standards. Thirdly those who commit crimes depending on the severity, punishment should be swift, and severe enough that they wouldn't want to do it again . . .

Les, What I meant to say was the government should support its people sorry about that.

Back