• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

George P Tye Glass

J

julieb

I'm trying to find out more about Tye glass. George P Tye patented a hyacinth vase about 1850 which is stamped "St Charles St, Birmingham". It's proving difficult to find anything more about this company and visionary glass manufacturer. Any information anyone can provide or just suggestions of where to look to find out more would be gratefully received. thanks, Julie

Julie
George P. Tye is not listed in the 1849 post office directory, but is in the 1849 Whites
Direc tory:
Tye George Piercy, die and seal engraver; house, Soho hill
Thus his place of business is not listed , but his house is. Possibly he was then employed by someone else at that time.

From 1855 to 1876 he is listed:
Tye George Piercy. die & seal engraver, 107 Great Charles street

But in 1878 he has disappeared and certainly in that year and 1880 there is no listing for 107 Gt Charles St.
However in 1878 there is:
Tye George S. die sinker, press tool maker & stamper & piercer, 41 Caroline street,
At a guess George P dies and his son went into business for himself, but that is speculation.
It doesn’t look as if glass was his main business

Julie

This may not be relevant but a George Piercy Tye was an Honoury Secretary of Handsworth Horticultural Society for a number of years and as you mentioned he patented a Hyacinth Vase thought it might be the same person?

The only mention I can find for him in Bham newspapers is advertising annual flower shows in Birmingham and a letter he sent to the Editor of the Bham Daily Post in 1862 July 7th. I realise it doesn't give any info regarding his Glass Manufacture business but perhaps a small insight to the actual man?

Suzanne

Back