• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

GAZEY Family, 36 Lawden road in 1906?

skylark

Proud to be a Brummie !!
Hello...Has anyone got the GAZEY Family in their tree? Especially GEORGE GAZEY b1885?
Parents were George and Mary Ann Gazey, they were a large family......????
regards, margaret.

Put Gazey in the Search engine at the top and you will find a few people have the name in the family tree then reply to them

my great aunt Elizabeth Houghton married a William Gazey 1849 Birmingham there are not many Gazey's around at this time I do have more on the Gazey's my aunt died in 1871 and her husband married a Rosseta Dunbar same year

Hello john...My info on the Gazeys is very small....A George Gazey (Father also George Gazey) married a Rose minchin 09/09/1906....so I have looked at the 1901 census and found them in Lawden road...and that is the limit of my gazey
info...hence my request for more on this family..... Cheers, margaret.

I can tell you what happened to George Gazey he was a friend of my Father and joined up with him in 1915 in an action what my father won his MM. George Gazey was blown up and at place called Givinchy (I have been there many times) at the Red Dragon Crater incident
I have done a book on the subject
36625 George Gazey Pte.2nd Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers killed in action on 22nd June 1916
His Address at the time was 29 Millward St Small Heath
He had relatives in Highgate Rd Balsall Heath  and 33 Chapel Street Handsworth both were in the war and survived, I can give you more details if needed

Hello Cromwell....if George Gazeys wife was called ROSE, then this is certainly a match. What a sad story..did they have children? I would indeed like to hear more if you can spare the time to tell me... Relatives of Rose Gazey were living at 57 Millward street for many years. Looking forward to hearing from you. My thanks....Margaret.

M Evans if you put Gazey in the search engine you will get
B'ham Aston & Nechells Surnames
Reply one. will give an account of how Gazey met his death
I did not know his wife's name, but I reckon that it could be got by checking the electoral rolls for Millward St and cross referencing the address

Gazey Family also lived at 55 Lupin Street Robert Gazey, Eileen M.Gazey and Agnes Edwards
Pte. 8836 Henry Keates Gazey 3rd Battalion Worc.Regt Killed in Action 8th April 1915

My thanks to you, cromwell , for all this useful info,,,will follow it all up ASAP ! Margaret.

gazey family tree

hi,

My grandfather ben marsden married alice gazey from lawden road small heath about 1900 at holy trinity church camp hill.
I have no knowledge of my grandparents or the family only that i know they lived at lawden road, i have a distant memory of bieng told of george gazey's war death i believe he could be a great uncle.

any help greatfully appreciated.

regards

Kevin marsden

Here's Alace 1881
Household Record 1881 British Census
Name RelationMarital StatusGenderAgeBirthplaceOccupationDisability
George GAZEY Head M Male 34 Weston, Warwick, England Engine Driver Locomotive (Rly)
Mary Ann GAZEY Wife M Female 29 Bristol
Alice GAZEY Daur Female 9 Leamington, Warwick, England Scholar
Mary GAZEY Daur Female 6 Birmingham, Warwick, England Scholar
Willm. GAZEY Son Male 4 Birmingham, Warwick, England
Hannah GAZEY Daur Female 1 Birmingham, Warwick, England

Source Information:
Dwelling 54 Lawden Rd
Census PlaceAston, Warwick, England

AND

IGI Individual RecordFamilySearch
Search Results
ALICE GAZEY
Female

Christening: 07 JAN 1872 Leamington Priors, Warwick, England

Parents:
Father: GEORGE GAZEY Family
Mother: MARY ANN

POM :angel:

Marsden Family in 1901

Hello Kevin,
here are Ben & Alice on the 1901 Cenus..

5, Rowland Place, Gt Colmore Street

Benjamin Marsden, 25, Head, Railway Goods Porter. b: Fillongley
Alice Marsden, 28, wife, b Leamington.

Margaret.

Gazey Family.

Hi Margaret,Alice Gazey and Benjamin Marsden were my husbands grandparents,George Gazey 1885 was Alice`s brother,I do have more info if you are interested.:redface:

GAZEY Family,

[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Here are a few of my Gazey's to browse [/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']going further than John Gazey is the stumbling block at the moment. I have lots of information about Gazey's in Claverdon and Wellesbourne and the 1851 census shows a Charles Gazey born in 1828 visiting Heneage Street in Aston. I feel there must be a link but need to find it!! This is my quest!
By the way you are 4th cousin once removed to my husband!!

I'm giving you all the names and dates I have - you'll have some of these but it's simpler to type them out again.

John Gazey b.1791 in Birmingham
m. 5.11.1822 St Martins
Mary Duzmore (chr. 27.12.1785 St. Phillips)
Children:
John born 3.7.1825 (chr. 25.7.1825)
William b.20.3.1828

William
m. 24.6.1849
Elizabeth Houghton
b.1832 (approx.)
Child
John b. 8.6.1850

John
m. 25.12.1871
Mary Kelley
b.26.3.1854
Children:
William b. approx 1873
Mary Ann b. approx. 1874
Matthew b. approx. 1876
Elizabeth b. approx. 1878
Ellen b. approx. 1880
James b. 28.5.1883 d. 5.4.1954

James
m. 21.3.1907
Amy Craythorne b.9.9.1888
Children:
John Edward b.12.12.1909 d.15.11.1912 of Measles and Lobular Pneumonia
William Edwin b.5.2.1912 d. 20.11.1912 of Measles and Bronchial Pneumonia
Leonard Frederick (my father-in-law) b.25.3.1914 d. 27.6.1982
Charles b.1.9.1919 d.13.8.1921 died Epidemic Diarrhoea and Meningitis
Harry b. 8.8.1921 died as an adult
Winifred Vera b. 20.3.1926 d.1989

Leonard Frederick
m. 28.7.1945
Esther Mary Gertrude Burford b.2.3.1920 d.14.1.1999
Children:
Michael John b.18.3.1947
Peter James b.26.9.1953

Michael
m. 9.3.1968
Glynis Mavis Lloyd 2.3.1947
Children: Deborah and Nicola

Harry
m. Lucy
Children:
Pat b.1947
Diane b.1954

Winifred (Winnie)
m. 26.12.1950
Kenneth Burgess
Children:
Carol
Paul

[/FONT]

Dear John,
Yes, I certainly have Gazeys' in my Tree. My Mum was Mary Kathleen Gazey B 1924-D1995 Grandaughter of Walter Gazey of Weston Subedge {Weston Subbage} who I believe was the Nephew of George of Lawden Rd. Many of the Gazey tribe ended up in B'ham but some stayed in the Stratford-upon Avon area and my branch moved to Redditch. I have a great deal of info. having studied the family for about 30+ years and would be glad to share anything I have that's relevent with you.
Regards, PAt Heming

Dear Margaret,
Have just joined the forum which I came upon by chance {I live in deepest Wales!}. My mum,s maiden name was Gazey and we are related to the Gazeys' of Lawden Rd. George senior and my Gt. GF Walter would have been Uncle and nephew I think. Walter's Father William would have been George's elder brother. They were from Weston Subedge {Glos} but most of them moved to either B'ham, Stratford-Upon_Avon or Redditch which is where my branch ended up. My old Gt. Aunts & Uncles often spoke of relatives in B'ham and I have some cards from 1800's sent from various relatives in B'ham and many photo's of people I can't name but taken by B'ham photographers. I have been studying the family for 30yrs+ and have a lot of info which I would be happy to share.
Regards, Pat Heming

Skylark, My great grandma Elizabeth was married to a William Gazey Born 1853. His parents were also William & Elizabeth gazey. Let me know if this is of interest to you.
Luckyjo

Dear Skylark
Thanks for your reply. I wonder if your William is the off spring of William Gazey and Eliz. Houghton who were married in B'ham in 1849. I know they had a son called John who was born in 1850 at 65, Fazeley St., B'ham. I think this family probably moved to Coventry later on. I Have a couple of William and Elizabeth and need to sort them out. Just of on holiday for a few days now {No comp at home} Will try and study more when I come back. Regards PH.

My last name is Gazey, I'm the daughter of Robert Keates Gazey. Robert and Eileen lived at 55 Lupin St Necells, that's on my birth certificate, his father was Robert Keates Gazey -wife of Sally (we called her nana sally, but I think her name was Sarah). They lived just by B'ham city football ground - I don't know if that was Lawden Road but it sounds familiar. So too does Cattell Street. it wasn't far from Artillery Street - I've looked on google but that hasn't jogged my memory because it's changed so much.

My father's brother was George Gazey so i'm not sure if that's any link to the George Gazey mentioned on this thread (obviously his father was Robert Gazey). They had a sister called Beryl - married name was Lawton, Lawson or similar. George lived in Nechells. There's also a sister - last name was Sawkins (married name) she had a son called Alfie.

It seems from my search on this site that my grandfather Robert Keates came from a large family - one of his brothers was George according to the info.

Unfortunately, my parents are both dead and I have no contact to any of my family. If anyone can place me or my parents, grandparents, please let me know copies of photos would be much appreciated. Pat I may be able to put names to faces on your photos.

hope this is of help to someone.

Hi juneflo

Name:June F B Gazey
Mother's Maiden Surname:Field
Date of Registration:Jul Aug Sep 1953
Registration district:Birmingham
Registration county:Warwickshire
Volume Number:9c
Page Number:766

Marriage --
Robert Gazey/Eileen M Field 1st qtr 1948 Birmingham 9c 727

Births --
Nellie L K Gazey 3rd qtr 1916 mmn Jenkins Aston 6d 808
Mary A Gazey 3rd qtr 1920 mmn Jenkins Aston 6d 910
Florence E Gazey 1st qtr 1922 mmn Jenkins Aston 6d 871
George H Gazey 4th qtr 1923 mmn Jenkins Aston 6d 685
Robert Gazey 1st qtr 1926 mmn Jenkins Birmingham S 6d 290
Beryl G Gazey 2nd qtr 1928 mmn Jenkins Birmingham S 6d 327

Marriage --
Robert K Gazey/Sarah A Jenkins 3rd qtr 1914 Aston 6d 811

Birth --
Robert Keates Gazey 1st qtr 1891 Aston 6d 296

1891 Census --

Name:Robert K Gazey
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1891
Relation:Son
Father's Name:George
Mother's Name:Mary A
Where born:Aston, Warwickshire, England
Civil Parish:Aston
Ecclesiastical parish:Holy Trinity
Town:Bordesley
County/Island:Warwickshire
Street address: 36 Lawden Road (Still there)

Registration district:Aston
Sub registration district: Deritend
ED, institution, or vessel:24

Household Members:NameAge
George Gazey
44 Warwickshire, Weston. Engine Driver
Mary A Gazey
40 Bristol
Mary Gazey
16 All Children born Aston
William Gazey
Hannah Gazey
Sarah E Gazey
George Gazey
John Gazey
Eliza Gazey
Robert K Gazey
3/12

Any questions, just ask, will do my best

bren

Last edited:
Just to fill the gap, 1901 Census --

Name:Robert Gazey
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1892
Relation:Son
Father's Name:George
Mother's Name:Mary Ann
Where born:Birmingham; Aston
Civil Parish:Aston
Ecclesiastical parish:Holy Trinity
County/Island:Warwickshire
Street address: 36 Lawden Rd

Registration district:Aston
Sub registration district: Deritend
ED, institution, or vessel:25
Household schedule number:1
Household Members:NameAge
George Gazey
54 Shunting Engine Man
Mary Ann Gazey
William Gazey
24 Carter Gen Haulier Own Account
Hannah Gazey
21 General Servant
Mary Gazey26
George Gazey16 Carter Gen Haulier Worker
John Gazey
14 School for the remainder
Eliza Gazey
Robert Gazey
Harry Gazey
Charlott Gazey
James Gazey

bren

Forgot to mention, the first post on this thread from skylark was about this specific family, if these are her familty then you are related

bren

Wow - thank you very much. How amazing it is to see the people listed like this. My 2nd name is florence and I was told this was after my aunt - but i've never known anything about her. Again thank you so so much.

Hello Bren & Juneflo..although I started this thread about the Gazey family I am not actually related to them directly..my Gt Aunt, Rose Minchin married into the Gazey family & my interest stems from that marriage.

Margaret.

Junflo, hope this message gets to you, i am related to you. Florence Gazey was my Nan's half sister, Florence was born in 1894. My Nan was Edith Beatrice March.

My Nans Mum, Ada married William Gazey in 1892 they had a daughter Florence, im not sure what happened to William as i cannot find a trace on that, but then Ada married Richard March in 1898. So Richard March was step father to Florence Gazey, Richard March drank alot and i cannot find any trace of his death or anything.

I would love any info if you can find it, as to what happened to Richard March, and indeed William GAzey.

REgards, Jackie Pedley

GAZEY William abt 1828 Birmingham

G'day John. So many years have passed since I contacted you in regards to my William Gazey born 1853 Birmingham Wife Elizabeth Ames.
His parents William Gazey wife Elizabeth possibly Houghton.
last year I managed to get an autopsy report on William jnr he committed suicide. His fathers address was given as William Gazey 4 Dyson Terrace Clayton rd Bham, if that rings any bells please let me know. It's the only lead I have so far other than he was born in Birmingham.
Regards Joy

GAZEY William Snr

From a Post mortem of my great grandfather William Gazey born 1853 married to Eliza Ames . I'm excited to have found an address for his father also William Gazey born 1828 Birmingham which was given as 4 Drayton Terrace Clayton rd in 1899. I checked the 1901 census and found him as a widower living with daughter Louisa Allen at 4 Drayton terrace Clayton Rd and again on the 1911 census alive and kicking at 83 still all living together but at 13 cranby St district Aston. So I have no idea Where my Gazey's come from as yet other than William born 1828 was married to Elizabeth, So if any of you Gazey researchers can put 2 and 2 togther I would be very very grateful.
Regards Joy

Joy if you put Gazey in the search box (top right of this page) ... John Houghton has two threads that may be of use to you... all with Gazey's with the names you memtioned... Hope this helps.

In the 1891 Census the Gazey's at 36 Lawden road are:--
George aged 44 born @ Weston {Weston-Subedge} Warks..wife Mary A. born in Bristol. George's occupation is given as Engine Driver.
The children are:- Mary aged 16 No Occupation given.
William 14 " " "
Hannah 11
Sarah E. 6
George 5
John 3
Eliza 2
Robert K. aged 3 months.

Hope this sheds some light on one or two ancesters.

PH.

Please has anyone got some photographs' of Lawden Road,Small Heath,Birmingham. Thanks from Bryce

Back