• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fuel

terryb18

Gone but not forgotten R.I.P.
I am almost convinced that fuel pumps are fixed, let me explain, I usually buy my fuel at £10,£20 or £30. Now no matter how careful I am, it almost always without fail, jumps up that extra 1p so I get £10.01 or £20.01. In fact it has become a bit of a game now when I buy fuel to try and beat the pumps but I usually fail, so now to get my own back I'll have £19.99 worth. :rapture: Does this happen to anyone else, or just me.:moody:

Terry

Last edited:
I gave up trying to hit the exact amount when prices rose as far as they have Terry. It does remind me of a comedy sketch where the driver was trying to hit the exact amount - if he did the cashier incremented it by 1p. Each time the driver tried to hit the next 10p he did the same.

I would think at £1 30 a Litre you would be getting about a teaspoonful for one penny, so to get it spot on you'd be lucky.

Nick:stupid:

when i get petrol there is a button to select how much you want, 10,20,30 euros etc - makes life easy. around £1.13 per litre

Yes some certainly offer that option. Not common though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

This happens to me regularly at a Morrisons fuel station that I use all the time. So what I now do is pay the £20, and offer £1 to cover the extra 1p. You'd be surprised how many times I've only paid £20 since then.

This is[video=youtube_share;EWIz4eYj3fE]https://youtu.be/EWIz4eYj3fE[/video] how it's done

This is[video=youtube_share;EWIz4eYj3fE]https://youtu.be/EWIz4eYj3fE[/video] how it's done

Brilliant, just like me. What happened to me once was i needed some fuel so I put £10 worth in and I only had £10 on me, and of course it jumped up the extra penny, so I gave the cashier my £10 and said you will have to have my name and address, he let me off with it though, probably more hassle than it was worth.

Terry

I would think at £1 30 a Litre you would be getting about a teaspoonful for one penny, so to get it spot on you'd be lucky.

Nick:stupid:

I think you are right Nick, but imagine all those extra millions of pennies the oil companies get.

Terry

Could someone explain to me how Petrol costs eg: £1:27.9 for a litre? What is or where do they get 0.7 of a penny? Just a thought. If you were lucky enough to get an exact litre, how would you pay the exact price

Last edited:
Hi,

One of the garages on Coventry road used to have a 'penny pot', which was a saucer with a quantity of pennies
in it. You were invited to take a penny or two if the pump had overrun. I guess the small outlay saved them
having to keep a heap of change. I havent used it for some time, but I think it was either the one by the Swan island,
or the one near the airport road.

Kind regards

Dave

Ok, that was a light-hearted take on the odd penny, but on a more serious note, how many people on here, when you have filled up in a busy forecourt, will move forward a bit before you go to pay if you see another 1 or 2 cars behind you waiting for their turn so the next person can start filling up their car. Not many I suspect.

Terry

Back