• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Free talk on the book "The Country Diary of an Elizabethan Lady" by Edith Holden.

Ian Binnie

knowlegable brummie
The Moseley Society are organising a free talk at Moseley Exchange on Tuesday 28th May at the Moseley Exchange (B138JP). The talk is entitled "My Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady Journey" given by Rachel Chopra Smith. The talk is from 2pm to 3pm, followed by refreshments. Edith Holden, the author and illustrator of the famous book had a strong connection with the local area. Those attending are welcome to bring Country Diary items to show. All are welcome.

Attachments

• EHflyer.jpg
    EHflyer.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
I was given it as a gift in, I think, the 1970s. Lovely book, written in a period which was so elegant (for those who were fortunate). Here's a short summary about Edith Holden.

Edith Holden (1871–1920) was born at Kings Norton, Birmingham, one of seven children of a Midlands paint manufacturer. The family lived in the small village of Olton in Warwickshire and it was there that she wrote and illustrated the book. After attending art school, she worked as an illustrator, with her drawings being published in several books.

I have the book by Edith Holden, I also bought it in 1970's. It is a charming book and for me it tells of the areas and countryside where I grew up and off course parts of Devon where I have lived for seventy years and called my home.

Back