• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fox and Goose/ Hodge Hill.

susi

proper brummie kid
Do any of you remember the name of the Dairy in Old Bromford Lane/ Bromford Road ? Just before the Fox and Goose Pub (opposite side). It was there in the late 50's and 60's that I know of. Would be happy if anyone remember the company name it was under.

Appears to have been Midland Counties Dairy, see here...

Thank you so much for that yes that's the one. I believe before it became the diary it was a small factory that made bicycle parts that's what I was trying to discover . Again thank you for your quick response and great info.

Yes there is, that. Looks likes the Metro Cammell (GKN) site as we know it today? Thank you .

Do any of you remember the name of the Dairy in Old Bromford Lane/ Bromford Road ? Just before the Fox and Goose Pub (opposite side). It was there in the late 50's and 60's that I know of. Would be happy if anyone remember the company name it was under.
Is the Fox & Goose still there? I went there a couple of times circa 1960, thought it was a very pleasant place!

Is the Fox & Goose still there? I went there a couple of times circa 1960, thought it was a very pleasant place!
It is still there.. it’s a bit shabby these days so could do with a refurb. But a decent enough boozer with a local crowd you can have a laugh and some banter with.

Yes there is, that. Looks likes the Metro Cammell (GKN) site as we know it today? Thank you .

Hi Susi,

Perhaps you are thinking of the Metropolitan Cammell Sports and Social club just past the right hand
side of the map in MWS's link in post 2.

Metro-Cammell was not a part of GEC or GKN.

Kind regards
Dave

Metro+Cammell -The company was purchased by GEC Alsthom i
Hi Susi,

Perhaps you are thinking of the Metropolitan Cammell Sports and Social club just past the right hand

Kind regards
Dave
Hi Susi,

Kind regards
Dave

n May 1989; the Washwood Heath factory closed in 2005 and was demolished in early 2019.
Hi Susi,

Kind regards
Dave

Hi Susi,

My apologies for the error. There were hard times for the Company in the
mid 80s, and many staff were made redundant,(including me).
The staff knew about about Alsthom's intention to buy Metro
but Alsthom was not associated with GEC then, and I had overlooked the
fact that they had teamed up with them near the purchase date in 1989.

Many thanks for putting me right on this, - although I am now long retired,
I still miss the Met, the best company I ever worked for.

Kind regards
Dave
Met. employee no. 9764/040 !

There is some suggestion that the Fox & Goose, might be sold for conversion into other uses. A restaurant has been mentioned.

Back