• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Four Dwellings Schools Quinton

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
British History Online tells us:

FOUR DWELLINGS COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Quinton. Four Dwellings Council Sch. opened 1940 by Birm. C.B.C. Accom. 648 SM, JI. SM dept. became separate sch. 1945 (see next sch.). JI divided into 2 depts. 1950. Accom. 1961: 15 classrooms, 2 halls.

FOUR DWELLINGS BOYS' COUNTY MODERN SCHOOL, Quinton. Became a separate sch. 1945 (see preceding sch.), as a M sch. New G sch. built and opened 1953 (see next sch.), and this sch. used for B only N.o.b. 1961: 455.

FOUR DWELLINGS GIRLS' COUNTY MODERN SCHOOL, Quinton. Opened 1953 by Birm. C.B.C. (see preceding sch.) N.o.b. 1961: 640.

A visit to both Houses of Parliament by girls of the secondary school. Viv.

7AFB4A4F-75E8-41F4-A872-CC67E506B094.jpegSource: Brutish Newspaper Archive

My mother Kathleen Harper taught at Four Dwellings School in Quinton in the 1950’s.
I have a photograph of a party to celebrate the Queen’s Coronation taken with my mother and her class. I believe one of the pupils in the photograph is the young Martin Bell, the news reader.
He went to preparatory school in Norfolk but I can’t find for sure that he attended Four Dwellings. Both my parents are now dead so I can’t check with them!
Can anyone throw any light on whether he did in fact attend the Quinton School?

Back