• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Floppy Disc - Erdington Cottage Homes Evacuation

Lady Penelope

master brummie
Good Morning,

I have a disc but no computer to open it on!

A long time ago I interviewed a lady for the church magazine who was a nursery nurse at the Cottage Homes. She volunteered to be evacuated during WW2 to Wales. At first they were housed at a Youth Hostel at Arthog / Dolgellau but Lord Somery, a nearby landowner, was very taken with the work being done and sought permission for the whole group to be moved to part of his home for the duration of the war. The move enabled more children to be evacuated from the city.

There are 18 photos which include some taken at Erdington in 1940 and later ones from Wales. I haven't found any information on Lord Somery or the location of his home.

These photos are included on Word Docs and I would appreciate any help or advice anyone can give me please. I think it would be a pity for them to be lost forever.

Many thanks,

Penny

i know that place its just down the coast click link below

Arthog Outdoor Education Centre

1691577846461.png
Arthog is a village, post town and community in the Meirionnydd area in Gwynedd, north Wales including the villages of Fairbourne and Friog. It is located on the A493, approximately 8 miles west of Dolgellau, and had a population of 1,010 in 2001, increasing slightly to 1,031 at the 2011 census. Wikipedia

Last edited:
take it to a library or good computor shop they should be able to help t or a member looking might be able to help copy it for you.
Chances are better for a 3 1/2” than a 5 1/4” but do at Pete suggests. If those places don’t have capability ask them who does they usually know someone. We went through that with a mother board for an older machine that we used infrequently, by asking we found someone who worked on them for a hobby.

you can get a 3.5 usb floppy drive but they are expensive for 1 disk. no doubt some one local to you has one. no harm in asking if its a 5/1/4 best of luck

you can get a 3.5 usb floppy drive but they are expensive for 1 disk. no doubt some one local to you has one. no harm in asking if its a 5/1/4 best of luck
I have a Sony 3 1/2 floppy drive that I almost threw out two years ago! still haven't used it but you never know.

Lady P, 3 1/2" floppy drives on Amazon for $20 USD or less. Some 5 1/4 but more expensive and usually built in. The 3 1/2" have a USB plug.

There are ways to get pictures off of Word docs. Open the doc in Word and save it as Html. there may be two options on this but at least one of them should work. The file you get will probably have a new folder which should have the picture files in it.
Unless you know somewhere that has old computer equipment, the most likely places to find somewhere to read floppy discs is some kind of technology museum. There are places on the internet that say they can transfer these old formats to CD, DVD, or just email the stuff to you. Search "transfer data from floppy disk" and you should get a few. I even found one that reckoned they could transfer from older disk versions. https://disktransfer.co.uk/floppy.php

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Another member has messaged me to say that he has a suitable drive so, fingers crossed, I should be OK thanks once again to this brilliant forum.

Once I've sorted myself out I shall look at the info supplied above with regard to Lord Somery and post the pictures taken there. Luckily I kept a hard copy of the picture details as my hard drive crashed a couple of months ago and I lost everything (my own fault - I now have an external drive and back up regularly).

Again, thank you.

Back