• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

First Driving Lesson

On my bus driver test, I saw a young boy stretch his mother's arm then pull out of her hand as if going to run in the road. I jammed the brakes on hard as he ran out - I'f I hadn't seen him start, I'd have got him for sure.
The examiner said he wouldn't do an emergency stop test after that! Then there was a trick question - "take the next available left turn". As I approached the next left I slowed down, and saw a 'No Entry' sign partly hidden by overhanging branches - so went on to the next, and turned left there.
Finally, on the spoken part of the test the examiner asked where the jack was kept on the bus - I asked "This type, or this one particularly?" The examiner said Both, if they are different!" So I told him that normally it was kept in a box behind a hinged panel just behind the front nearside wheel, but on this bus the box had rotted away so it was under the long seat cushion over the rear nearside wheels. The instuctor was asked if that was so, and with his face in his hands he nodded 'yes'!

At Perry Barr Test Centre on The Broadway, they would quite often take you across the junction of Alfred Street and Vyse Street. It was an unmarked junction.

My driving instructor warned me of this junction, saying it was the one that caught out a lot of people, because in the week it has cars parked down both sides of the road, so its hard to spot the junction. I recall there was a Labour Exchange on the corner?

Sure, enough they took me down Alfred Street on my first test and I missed it, fail.

When I got back to the XL Driving on Gravelly Lane, I walked straight across the road to the post office and applied for another test.

They did the same on my second test too, but I did spot it then and passed.

The driving lessons and test were just the start. Apart from road skills and experience, over time I have had to 'learn' power steering, automatic transmission (mainly when to disagree with its choices), ABS, emergency brake assist, hill descent, hill hold, stability control, diff lock, anti slip (brakes individual wheels on slippery ground). Plus towing generally.
The instructor never mentioned any of this when I was wandering around Malvern in a mini, (original body style).
Nowadays all this can be formally learnt at off-road and towing driving schools.
When I took my test, the objective was to learn enough to join the gradually increasing group of students driving around in what could generously described as 'cars', (keeping the local scrappie in business), plus Julie wanted to get off the back of Lambrettas and James motorbikes and out of the rain.
Andrew.

The driving lessons and test were just the start. Apart from road skills and experience, over time I have had to 'learn' power steering, automatic transmission (mainly when to disagree with its choices), ABS, emergency brake assist, hill descent, hill hold, stability control, diff lock, anti slip (brakes individual wheels on slippery ground). Plus towing generally.
The instructor never mentioned any of this when I was wandering around Malvern in a mini, (original body style).
Nowadays all this can be formally learnt at off-road and towing driving schools.
When I took my test, the objective was to learn enough to join the gradually increasing group of students driving around in what could generously described as 'cars', (keeping the local scrappie in business), plus Julie wanted to get off the back of Lambrettas and James motorbikes and out of the rain.
Andrew.
When I learned to drive, took lessons and understand what makes the car/motorbike go. Today it seems like new drivers just aim their cars! Motorcyclists for the most part seem better with more road awareness. Many people with 4 wheel drive think they are invincible and can go anywhere anytime, still don’t think they understand ice until it’s too late. Both of our cars are 4 wheel drive but we don’t push the envelope just to be a little safer! Sorry about that…..

When I learned to drive, took lessons and understand what makes the car/motorbike go. Today it seems like new drivers just aim their cars! Motorcyclists for the most part seem better with more road awareness. Many people with 4 wheel drive think they are invincible and can go anywhere anytime, still don’t think they understand ice until it’s too late. Both of our cars are 4 wheel drive but we don’t push the envelope just to be a little safer! Sorry about that…..
true

when i first joined Breakdown Service as a patrol i had to have a driving test in a truck,van etc.and a defensive driving test to see if i was safe to carry passengers. during the test the examiner ask "who taught you to drive evel knievel?"
i still passed though.:grinning:

Julie had to have a council driving assessment to drive minibuses. Carrying around people that could be unpredictable (from a learning difficulties centre) could be interesting. Not so much random physical actions, more sudden noises, (and smells).
She had to go on a 4x4 training course and be assessed to be able to drive the council Landrover, and also had a towing assessment for the council trailer, although she had already done a Caravan Club course for that so it was a formality. All these were documented and kept with a copy of her license.
She also had to do the daily and weekly vehicle checks, and caused an upset when she asked for a torque wrench for the wheel nuts.
One of her more interesting discoveries was when someone nicked the prop shaft off a minibus overnight. Nobody believed her, but she knows whats what on a vehicle.
She is a much better driver than I am, although when we have been on 4x4 off road holidays, I am more adventurous.

Andrew.

At Perry Barr Test Centre on The Broadway, they would quite often take you across the junction of Alfred Street and Vyse Street. It was an unmarked junction.

My driving instructor warned me of this junction, saying it was the one that caught out a lot of people, because in the week it has cars parked down both sides of the road, so its hard to spot the junction. I recall there was a Labour Exchange on the corner?

Sure, enough they took me down Alfred Street on my first test and I missed it, fail.

When I got back to the XL Driving on Gravelly Lane, I walked straight across the road to the post office and applied for another test.

They did the same on my second test too, but I did spot it then and passed.
mort is this the unmarked junction of alfred st and vyse st that you mentioned...this one is dated 1969Alfred Street - Vyse Street Aston 8-9-1969.jpg

lyn

Julie had to have a council driving assessment to drive minibuses. Carrying around people that could be unpredictable (from a learning difficulties centre) could be interesting. Not so much random physical actions, more sudden noises, (and smells).
She had to go on a 4x4 training course and be assessed to be able to drive the council Landrover, and also had a towing assessment for the council trailer, although she had already done a Caravan Club course for that so it was a formality. All these were documented and kept with a copy of her license.
She also had to do the daily and weekly vehicle checks, and caused an upset when she asked for a torque wrench for the wheel nuts.
One of her more interesting discoveries was when someone nicked the prop shaft off a minibus overnight. Nobody believed her, but she knows whats what on a vehicle.
She is a much better driver than I am, although when we have been on 4x4 off road holidays, I am more adventurous.

Andrew.
got the t shirt Andrew, its a shock when you start and ready to go and nothing happends. it happend to me once someone had nicked the back wheel. the rear passengers shaking and kicking the drivers seat...but its the joys of motoring :grinning:

Back