• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Fazeley street

Three threads have been merged into this one thread. There may be earlier unseen posts. Viv.

Hi, good to see my old street mentioned. I lived at 159 Fazeley street from age 0 (1950) to about 12. House has gone, and is now a car park. Anyone remember the boneyard, which was the other side of our back garden wall. We were almost opposite the British Waterways depot. Well remember catching the 53 bus to Maxwell street, then walking to St Andrews primary in Ada road. Time moves on. Cheers Andrew.

hi brummie. I worked on the then Lyons bakery building on the corner of Liverpool St in 1955 and you certainly knew when the bone factory was in action, being on the top lft of the scaffold you got the full blast which you took home in your hair and clothes I cannot imagine how the workers got on. Regards Acklam19.

hi brummie. I worked on the then Lyons bakery building on the corner of Liverpool St in 1955 and you certainly knew when the bone factory was in action, being on the top lft of the scaffold you got the full blast which you took home in your hair and clothes I cannot imagine how the workers got on. Regards Acklam19.
Was there a bus depot at the top of the hill where Liverpool Street took a right turn ? I am trying to orient myself. I seem to remember a gas works a bit further on from there, and going up there to buy bags of coke for the fire. I moved on from the area when I was 11/12, (out to Shard End). At my age now, I am digging a bit deep here. Cheers.

Hi Brummie. Yes you are correct with your siteing of the bus depot it was next to Lyons and took up most of the bend in Liverpool St. The gas works you refer to is where Liverpool St ends and joins what I think is Glover St and is facing the junction, I have spent many hours in that queue also waiting to collect coke in an old pram happy days. Regards Acklam19.

Hi Acklam. Thanks for the confirmation, it is a while since I was in the area.

The photo taken outside my old house in Fazeley street shows the waterways depot behind, and the wide gates to the left are access to the canal. The city is away to the left, and Liverpool Street away to the right. Behind is the No 53 bus stop. (Yes bus, not covered wagon). You will appreciate now why you were never plagued by redskins while you were in the area. Yeee Hi. Cheers Andrew.
jesse james.JPG

Amazed to see the photo in post #22. A bit late in finding it. There is a bus stop on the left, by the lorry heading away from the camera, that is where I caught the bus to primary school from 1955. Opposite there, behind the two cars facing towards us, there is someone stood outside what would have been our house, where I came back to from Dudley Road Hospital in 1950. The shop on the corner with the advert board above was called Demains, and sold mostly food necessities. Down the road from the bus stop, back on the left again, there was a woodworking establishment called Lawrences. My Dad worked there sometimes, and they made me a set of wooden blocks to play with. A bit late, but truly many thanks Astoness for the memory.
Andrew.

Amazed to see the photo in post #22. A bit late in finding it. There is a bus stop on the left, by the lorry heading away from the camera, that is where I caught the bus to primary school from 1955. Opposite there, behind the two cars facing towards us, there is someone stood outside what would have been our house, where I came back to from Dudley Road Hospital in 1950. The shop on the corner with the advert board above was called Demains, and sold mostly food necessities. Down the road from the bus stop, back on the left again, there was a woodworking establishment called Lawrences. My Dad worked there sometimes, and they made me a set of wooden blocks to play with. A bit late, but truly many thanks Astoness for the memory.
Andrew.
happy that the photo on post 22 is a good one for you and thats a great photo of you in your cowboy outfit..looking at your avatar and that photo you have not changed and the smile is still there

lyn

Anyone know why Fazeley Street was 'stopped up' in the 1830s? The Vestrey Clerk, Gem stated ' Agreat deal of money was expended in that unfortunate law case, the stopping up of Fezeley Street...' He was quite indignant about a legal ruling that didn't go his way, though I'm unsure what it was.

Hi Acklam. Thanks for the confirmation, it is a while since I was in the area.

The photo taken outside my old house in Fazeley street shows the waterways depot behind, and the wide gates to the left are access to the canal. The city is away to the left, and Liverpool Street away to the right. Behind is the No 53 bus stop. (Yes bus, not covered wagon). You will appreciate now why you were never plagued by redskins while you were in the area. Yeee Hi. Cheers Andrew.
View attachment 164696
its the milky bar kid

When I was there, mid 50s, the top line of "Fellows Morton & Clayton" was "British Waterways". Can't remember the second line. I wonder when it changed. The bus stop was a 'lollipop' style, and I caught the 53 bus there to school. Above the white car is a blue door, then vehicle access, then a grey section with another blue door. I lived just about opposite there. Looks like the road sign for Fazeley St has moved down the wall a bit.
Andrew.

When I was there, mid 50s, the top line of "Fellows Morton & Clayton" was "British Waterways". Can't remember the second line. I wonder when it changed. The bus stop was a 'lollipop' style, and I caught the 53 bus there to school. Above the white car is a blue door, then vehicle access, then a grey section with another blue door. I lived just about opposite there. Looks like the road sign for Fazeley St has moved down the wall a bit.
Andrew.
i remember it saying british waterways

As to the origin of the name the Digbeth Branch is spanned by this street. The Digbeth Branch was part of the Birmingham & Birmingham & Fazeley Canal when constructed to Bordesley Basin

Back