• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Famous people with a Birmingham Connection (how many do you know)?

Has anyone mentioned the great actor, Paul Scofield? His birthplace is usually given as Sussex, yet I've read that he was born in Birmingham and he and his family moved down to Sussex very shortly afterwards.

I'm going to repost the collection of photos because I think we might be getting a little mixed up here what this post is about. You need to identify the people depicted here. So far 8 out of the 10 have been identified. The two that are left to be identified are a politician and an actress. I won't be giving any answers until all ten have been identified correctly.

Attachments

• who is this.jpg
    who is this.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 32
Re: Auf Wiedersehen, Pet: I have just read that Timothy Spall, whilst playing a Brummie, was in fact a Londoner, although he worked at the Birmingham Rep. However, there was a Brummie in the cast: Pat Roach. Eddie

Just for a while and to spare Phil's hair could we concentrate on answering just the questions Phil pose and not general famous Brummies (or non Brummies for that matter)?

Ta!

BernardR

Bernard

I have nothing against famous Brummies, in fact I'm quite proud of them. If members want to bring our attention to the myriad of famous people that have originated in this great city and outlaying suburbs then there is no reason they cannot start a separate thread where we can all discuss them.

I'm, sorry. I thought the CLUE was in Famous People with a Birmingham Connection. The thread does not state that it is a quiz. Perhaps the Thread title should have been stated more clearly. Eddie

Eddie my comment was not aimed at you. The thread title is correct if you read the first post.
Having received requests for another picture quiz I though I would give this a try. I won't claim all those in the photographs are Brummies, but if not born in the Midlands they have strong connections. I have made them pretty easy so I won't let it run for long. I think Saturday night will be ample. I won't give any answers until then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Farmerdave,

I am going to make this easier and say that we are now only looking for answers to the identity of those persons portrayed in photos five and six.

Perhaps a few clues for the remaining two are in order, the actress appeared in many films during her career as a supporting character actor. Blythe Spirit & the Winslow Boy being just two of them.

The politician actually died in Birmingham Council House.

#6 Mona Washbourne - though I think she appeared in the stage production of Blithe Spirit, playing the part of Madame Arcati

Yes all answers are now correct.

They were answered correctly in this order.

4. James Watt, Jayell
9. Tony Hancock, Jayell
1. Barbara Cartland Carolina
2. Sir Francis Galton Jayell
7. Robin Needwell Jayell
8. Roy Wood A Sparks
10. Zena Walker Carolina
3. J R Tolkien Vivienne
6. Mona Washbourne Michael G63
5. John Skirrow Wright. Carolina

If we were looking for a winner, first would be Jayell with four correct first answers, second would be Carolina with three correct answers and all the rest would be in joint third place.

Thanks Phil. I wouldn't have got number 6, Mona Washbourne, in a 100 years. I was beginning to think it was Charles Hawtrey dressed up as a woman (see image). Dave.

P1020056 (2).JPG

I thought No.6 was Charles Hawtrey too Dave.

And after your comment about the Peaky Blinders Carolina, and Phil's reply that 'he' would be upset I definitely thought it was a man dressed as a woman. And well done to you too!

Judy

That was a tough one. Well done Judy. And thanks Phil. Made me realised how little I know about famous Brummies!! But good fun. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There are not many photos of the Brum sculptor #3 Bill Bloye that I worked for in the early 1950s but these. His works are all around Brum for you to appreciate. Can you name a few? John Crump OldNOT famousBrit. Parker, Colorado USA001.jpg

Oldbrit

Here is a photo of William Bloye working at his workshop on Golden Hillock Rd at Small Heath. He is working on his statue of James Watt for "The Paperhangers" trio on Broad Street. I also include a couple of the very many other sculptures from around Birmingham.

Attachments

• Bloye Working on Watt at his Studio.JPG
    Bloye Working on Watt at his Studio.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 16
  • Bear & Staff (Bloye ).JPG
    Bear & Staff (Bloye ).JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 13
  • BMAG Over Entrance to Feeney Gallery Ex William James Bloye.jpg
    BMAG Over Entrance to Feeney Gallery Ex William James Bloye.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Fox & Hollybush (Bloye).JPG
    Fox & Hollybush (Bloye).JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 13
  • s Terpsichore (Bloye).JPG
    s Terpsichore (Bloye).JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 12
Coat of arms I carved 001.jpgGreat photos Phil. thanks for sharing them. MR Bloye is just the way I remember him bow tie and all. He was very quite and modest, BUT could jump on you if you made any mistakes. Attached is photo of the coat of arms on Bennetts Hill, we worked on that in the winter, 4 off us, froze our arses off on the scaffolding. The three Boulton Watt and Murdochs where modeled in clay in much smaller scale first. Mr Bloye once told me when I was working on a clay Lion. "CRUMP Lions have BALLS! " I will never forget that one. I know many who worked for him, whose names escape me, did become famous also I would love to contact them IF they are still alive. Do you now what happened to the old house on Golden Hillock Road, It was on a roundabout, not far from BSA. there groves in the road from the BSA testers going around it. Also Mr Bloyes PRIVATE studio was in the back of property, we workers did not go there. BUT he had many female models that did! John Crump OldBrit. Parker. Co USA

Oldbrit

The workshop and house wasn't replaced until fairly recently, on the site now stands a building of the South & City College, but they have erected a blue plaque to the memory of William Bloye.

Attachments

• Golden Hillock Rd.JPG
    Golden Hillock Rd.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 5888416519_90708fea92_z[1].jpg
    5888416519_90708fea92_z[1].jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 12
I understand that Mr Bloye died in Greece. In the early 50s I was the youngest employee, Mr. Bloye hired me as an apprentice. So it is possible that I am now the only one still alive, that worked for him then. I use to make a real good cuppa for all the chaps! John Crump

Back