• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Excerpts From Colin Brough's Journal

Oisin

gone but not forgotten
Here's another happy little story:

EXCERPTS FROM COLIN BROUGH’S JOURNAL

Friday 28th July 2000:

‘…. I stopped off for a ‘quick one’ in The Constitution and was served by the most gorgeous female I have ever seen. It was the generous smile she served up with the pint of lager that attracted me. It was the warmest, most brilliant smile I had ever witnessed; something a lot more than what you’d expect from a barmaid welcoming a customer. Her eyes sparkled with enthusiasm as she told me in the sprightliest of tones, “That’ll be one pound seventy, please sir.”

I stayed at the counter sipping my drink until she attempted to move around the bar to collect empty glasses. Escaping from behind the pumps necessitated lifting a heavy wooden section. Rather than watch her struggle I helped her out, and was rewarded with another lavish smile. ‘Thank you,’ she beamed, ducking under my arm.

The way she flashed her eyes and her body language left me in awe as I watched her weave in between and around tables, dextrously snatching up empty pint pots.

Not being a socialite, for a man of my twenty-six years, my experience with the opposite sex leaves a lot to be desired. In fact, the only time I feel any degree of confidence is when I’m sat behind a guitar singing. But, the moment my eyes fell on Elizabeth, I knew she the one for me. Due to my shortcomings I was only able to discover her name from Roy, her colleague behind the bar.

“New here, isn’t she?” I put it to him, “What’s her name?”

“Elizabeth,” he told me with a knowing twinkle in his eye.

With great reluctance I eventually prized myself away from The Constitution to play a gig with my mates, Gary and Rod, at The Bell Tower.

I was negotiating my best friend, Yammy (a six-string Yamaha acoustic); through the door when Elizabeth went out of her way to flash a wonderful goodbye smile at me that left my face flushed and me tingling from head to toe.

This first encounter with Elizabeth is enough for me to realise that I am in love with her and certain she feels the same about me….’

Thursday 24th August 2000:

‘….Because I want her so much, I have kept away from Elizabeth and The Constitution. I don’t want to mess things up with blunderings, as I have done with so many potential relationships in the past. My plan is to start off on a casual footing by, maybe just coming across her unexpectedly. To this end I need to know where she lives. To trace her address I first need to know her surname. While pondering these plans, I have been staying up until all hours of the morning composing and taping songs, with Yammy, expressing my feelings for her….’

Friday 25th August 2000:

‘…. It is by pure good fortune that tonight Roy had chosen to spend his evening off at one of our regular folk gigs at The Bell Tower. It gave me the opportunity to glean that his colleague is Elizabeth Page. He doesn’t have a clear idea where she lives, other than she’d mentioned enjoying a jog around Cannon Hill Park….’

Saturday 26th August 2000:

‘…. With the information Roy has supplied, I took myself into the central library to study the electoral roll today. It wasn’t an easy task but, with the help of a map and the estimate of her age at around twenty-four, I have managed to narrow the field down to three possibilities. But where from here?…’

Sunday 27th August 2000:

‘…. After protracted deliberations, I have decided that, although we have only exchanged a couple of words, Elizabeth’s voice is so distinctive I would recognise it anywhere.
Convinced of this, I traced the three possibilities in the telephone directory. Having no intention of speaking to any of them, I have listened to their brief responses. Fortunately my first instinct has been confirmed; it was my Elizabeth who answered the very first call. Knowing the address, I have wrapped up the tapes, with a covering note signed “An admirer”, I will post them to her tomorrow ….’

Sunday 3rd September 2000:

‘…. This past week I have consoled myself with the thoughts and visions of Elizabeth sitting listening to my tapes. I imagine her putting on her make-up, or, maybe relaxing on a sofa, relishing every word of my tributes to her….’

Sunday 10th September 2000:

‘…. I want to see Elizabeth so badly but because I cannot bring myself to call in at The Constitution, I have taken to frequenting Cannon Hill, in the hope of getting a glimpse of her…..’

Monday 18th September 2000:

‘…. I saw Elizabeth running in the park today. She didn’t notice me and I was able to follow her all the way home without being seen. Managed to slip in her back door of the small terraced house while she was taking a shower upstairs. I was absolutely distraught to find the tapes discarded on a kitchen worktop with the wrapping paper strewn around them - it seems she hasn’t bothered listening to them. At least now I know where she lives I will be able to keep a closer eye on her….’

Friday 29th September 2000:

‘…. I realise I cannot continue the way I am going. My love for Elizabeth is far too strong. I have made a decision: Tomorrow I will call around to her house and tell her just how much I care for her. I know it will not be easy. But, if am ever to have any peace of mind, I know this is what I must do….’

Saturday 30th September 2000:

‘…. Filled with trepidation, I called around to see Elizabeth today. My heart sank to unimaginable depths when a huge dark haired chap about the same age as myself answered the door. He appeared quite accommodating when I first asked to speak to Elizabeth. However, his humour blackened immediately I introduced myself as the person who sent the tapes.

He called over his shoulder, “It’s that soddin’ nutter who sent you the tapes. D’you want to speak to him, Liz?”

“No.” I heard Elizabeth call from somewhere inside the house.

He turned back to me. “And have you been making phone calls as well?”

I gave a nervous nod. “I rang once, just to confirm the address. I had no intention of making a nuisance of myself. I’m sorry if…” I felt my nose squelch under his fist.

“Now bugger off and pester somebody else, cos if you come back here again I won’t be responsible for what I might do.”

With those words ringing in my ears, I struggled to keep my balance as I reeled across the pavement. Cupping my bloodied nose in my hands, I caught the briefest glimpse of Elizabeth’s concerned face before her man slammed the door shut on me….’

Monday 2nd October 2000:

‘…. I have spent two sleepless nights no knowing where to turn. Although my swollen nose is extremely uncomfortable, it is the situation with Elizabeth that causes me the most pain. I cannot believe what she must be going through with that man. If he had any respect for her, he would surely think twice about using such foul language in front of her, and calling her “Liz” instead of her proper name! Worse than that, I’ve had haunting visions of him violating her body; such a beautiful creature should not be used for sexual gratification. If only she were closer to me, I would cherish and protect her from all such things. As I write this, the mere thought of them together fills me with longing and revulsion.

I know there is no answer to this situation and I should accept that Elizabeth is another love I’ve lost, but I can’t! I know for the rest of my life she will be in my foremost in my thoughts….’

Tuesday 3rd October 2000:

‘…. Still not able to sleep, I decided to try the pharmacy to get something that might help. There the prettiest brunette I have ever seen served me. She really went out of her way to be helpful, recommending some sleeping tables that could be supplied without a prescription. I’m grateful of this as my relationship with my doctor is far from ideal. He’s never got time to listen to me; insisting my problems can only be resolved by me. Tomorrow I will wait for Hanna (the girl who served me) to finish at the pharmacy and see if she will listen. She appears so perfect, full of warmth and kindness, different to all the others. I believe she is the one person who will understand me….’

[Colin’s Brough’s journal and a smashed guitar were two of the few processions found in his grubby little flat by police investigating the discovery of his crumpled body at the base of a multi-storey car park on Wednesday 18th October 2000.]

THE END

Paul another fantastic write - your protagonist has major problems and you portray that wonderfully. He is a stalker - probably from a dysfunctional background. Great - an episode for TV cop show? Absolutely! What happens next...

This is based on a passing acquaintance. He was diagnosed as having "obsessional neurosis" for what good it did him.

Back