• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Erdington History

Hi Chrisine: I rememberthe church at the junction of Gravelly Hill and Kingsbury Road.I am pretty sure we had a photo of it on the BHF at one time. I believe it is the church described here: Gravelly Hill Hart Memorial Chapel, seating 500, (fn. 6) was designed by Ewen Harper, (fn. 7) and was built by the United Methodists in 1890 at a cost of £5,000. (fn. 8) The site was presented by Alderman W. H. Hart in 1886. The church originated as a mission of Rocky Lane. (fn. 9) In 1892 there was a Sunday afternoon congregation of 191. (fn. 10) Church membership in 1932 was 155. (fn. 11)

Jennyann - fantastic - thanks - have now discovered you are absolutely right. I do have a 'old' Churches places of Birmingham website but nothing appeared to fit the bill appeared on that. Checked my old 1902 map and found one on the corner of Gravelly Hill and Kingsbury Road in which the outline of the building looked a possibility - the map has 'Meth.Chap (Free United)' .

Then I showing my husband that the photo we have of the tram is from the same film as the one of his Grandfather in Gravelly Hill which means we can now (because of my question to the tram forum) accurately date them both as being 1920, I realised that the other copy of the photo outside the church has a note on the back from my Father in law - 'taken in Kingsbury Road Erdington' (he even tells us who the maker of the new 'lorry' is!).

So thanks for actual information about the Church - and good to be able to confirm a photo which I now think is about 1911.

Christine

Hi Peter: I do know that on the grounds behind the prefabs on Reservoir Road where the hospital is now they used to hold the Erdington Carnival in the late l950's and early 1960's. I have a programme from 1959 and Tessie O'Shea was the invited star guest. They must have had a parade before they ended up at the grounds because there are photographs of floats. A girl in my class at Fentham Girls, Maureen Poole, was the Carnival Queen one year 1958 or 1959 I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Polly
I don't know if you found a picture of the Redlands that you were looking for, but have just found one , shown below, in "Steaming up to Sutton" by Roger Lea. Not a particularly good one though
mike

Theredlandsgravellyhill.jpg

Mike, Thank you so much for finding and posting the picture of the Redlands :) not long ago Key Hill Brian found a picture of the Redlands in a very old book at the Pen Room which I was able to see the last time I was there. I think the picture may be the same one.
Is this book still available to buy?
Thanks agains Mike, you are so good at finding things for everyone on the forum :)

I don't know wether anyone remembers the polish ex-military club in Gravley Hill "The DOM POLSKA" but my dad served alongside of the Polish free Army in Italy and was often invited to there do's,and he would often take me and great they were.
paul

My parents often went to 'Dos' there.
They had a friend who was in the Polish air force and served with the RAF in WW2.
He married an English girl called Joan ,I think they lived in Curdworth.

Looking at that old Map i have just started a thread on the Magnet Club / Greek Orthodox Church. On there it seems to be called Sarbont(?) House

My dad also served in Polish armed forces, and was in Italy too, As a large Polish Irish Family we spent many happy times at the Polish Club, dad meeting friends, having lovely Polish food, and dancing in Polish Costume on celebration days,.We also attended SSMary and Johns, Gravelly Hill, and most of us, christened,had holy communion, marraiges and funerals there too.
Lots of happy memoroes of the Polish club, we also attended St Michaels in town for Polish mass,we used to walk from ur first house in Stoke street,off broad street, and from Wyckham House, Gt Lister street, when we moved to Erdington, it was the posh bus for us.

Very interesting Christine your comments and pictures of Erdington I useto live in Kingsbury road and know the High st well, in my younger days the palace picture house was allways an atraction and so was a small music shop nearly opposite the Westminster bank I think it was called the "Music box" bought many records from there Regards TerryJukes

Really enjoyed seeing the pictures etc. I was born in Gravelly Hill - no 132, in the 1950s and left in the 1980s. My Mum and Dad were Fred and Lucie Christie.

Hi janreb, my surname is DARBY (Ray), I was born at number 134 Gravelly Hill in 1937, and lived there with my family until I married and left home in 1960.
Our families were great neighbours over the years, and seeing your post has brought back many memories.
Perhaps we could make contact and chat about our families.
I too remember the Polish club, very noisy on Sunday afternoons while playing netball on their lawns.

Hi Ray
It was great to hear from you - I remember you and all the family. How is everyone? Think I knew Len the most as he and Linda still lived at 134 after I married. Also remember Stan well, and of course remember your Mum. Only remember your Dad slightly. I seem to remember you were the youngest?
Well as you will have guessed Mum and Dad are both dead now and my eldest brother Fred also died in an accident in 1984. You may remember my sister June emigrated to Australia and my other brother David also emigrated in 1983. We left Birmingham over 20 years ago and moved to Cornwall and now live in Bodmin. I still have photos from Gravelly Hill and when I was last up there went to have a look at the houses and they are now turned into flats.
Would love to keep in touch Ray - June will be very interested to know we've made contact as she often talks about growing up at Gravelly Hill. She 82 now and lives just outside Mebourne, we phone each other every couple fo weeks or so.
It's propbably easier if you have my email address which is XXXXXX
Look forward to hearing all the news, really good to hear from you.
Jane

Very interesting Christine your comments and pictures of Erdington I useto live in Kingsbury road and know the High st well, in my younger days the palace picture house was allways an atraction and so was a small music shop nearly opposite the Westminster bank I think it was called the "Music box" bought many records from there Regards TerryJukes

I am a newbie to this forum and I have spent most of to today delving in the numerous threads in this facinating forum.

I too lived in Kingsbury Road, we lived at no 100...it was a huge house with a huge garden and frontage with a double drive.

I understand that this house was requsitioned in WW2 as an Officer's mess or headquarters? I am rather vague about exactly what.

All the family shared this house, Aunties, Uncles ,Grandparents Cousins etc.etc...this house was eventualy demolished and two blocks of flats were built in it's place.:sorrow: we moved out in the late fifties, but I can't remember when exactly the house came down and the flats built.

Erdington

I was dragged up in the "Posh end" of Birmingham, Erdington, at least it was then. I was born in Cedar Dive, off Grange Road. Situated only about two miles from the Castle Bromwich factory where they were making the famous Spitfire, we were in the firing line from Mr Hitlers bombers, who was desperately trying to wipe the factory out. Some of his miss aimed bombs fell very close to our house in Beeches drive and demolished three of them.
attachment.php
This was the very house I was born in. August 12th 1940. What was my Mom and Dad thinking of at the time, war had just started then.

Attachments

• DSCF6523.JPG
    DSCF6523.JPG
    526.4 KB · Views: 17
Re: Erdington

Some more photo's of Erdington High Street, taken last year.DSCF6511.JPGDSCF6512.JPGDSCF6514.JPGDSCF6516.JPGErdington Parish Church under refurbishment after the fire. Erdington High Street on a sunny morning, and Moor End Lane, where I went to school, alas, no longer there.

Hubbys nan lived in Erdington after the family moved back from Coalville where they had been stationed in the war, as Grandad did top secret war work at a place in Whitwick. She lived in Harcourt Road, off Court Lane and loved the area.
Sue

Two Famous Athletes both Race Walkers lived in Erdington in the 50s,one was Ken Mathews of Royal Sutton,Coldfield Walking Club Ken went on and won the Gold Medal at the 1964 Olympics in Japan,the other but nevertheless not better known was Frank O,Reilly from Lozells Harriers who represented Ireland in the 50 Km Walk at the Rome Olympics but Frank was better known as the best long distance walker over 100 miles although he did all of his times in the late 50s and early sixties it took Richard Brown from London to break Franks best ever time of under 17 hours in the early 1990s,but only by 9 seconds.Frank still remains in the World today as the only Walker to to do it twice

Hi,

First post.

Here's a video I've uploadedwhich might be of interest, especially to those like me who were brought up in the 40s and 50s in Erdington.

I compiled it by taking extracts from a longer DVD that I made about 12 years ago, the start of a compulsive hobby, undiminished today. Apart from the very last section, the still photo originals are mainly from books borrowed via post from Birmingham Central Library. I hope I'm not breaking some copyright rules with either my images or music tracks!

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Hi Terry: Just viewed your Erdington video on my computer. I have a 29" screen so it is very clear in full screen. Thanks for posting the link. I loved it and also your choice of music to go along with it. I grew up in Erdington post war and all those photos, many of which I have seen in books, are a reflection of the scenes of Erdington that I grew up with. There weren't many changes in the High Street until the 1950's from earlier on. The trams no longer ran down the High Street after the bypass was built in 1938. The Baptist church at Six Ways was demolished along with the Abbey Garage. The Methodist Church disappeared. Payne's Shoe repair shop at Six Ways Erdington was eventually replaced. I can't think of any shops from the post war era that are still in business in the High Street. Was Walter Smith, Butchers there years and years ago I wonder? At the beginning of your video I noticed the Cafe sign on the left hand side of the photo. That cafe was called Dick's and we went there as a special treat with my Mother. It was upstairs. I have never seen a photo of the ground floor entrance.
Do you happen any photos of the National School at all? Even though the school was on the High Street for decades there doesn't seem to be any photos of the
place in any local books that I have seen. I do have a couple of photos of the school and the Roebuck Inn next door. According to the Erdington Library they are copyrighted so I can't post them on the forum. I can send them via e-mail though. If you would like them you can send me a private message with your e-mail.
Also, do you have any photos of the large houses on Sutton Road that were demolished in the 1950's and replaced by the Lyndhurst Estate?

Tell you thus terry I was brought up in the 40 s in Erdington was great as lads we called the high st the monkey run an there was so village green an our our ends talked if going up to the village
Highs st now ! I played football once in east grinstesd for my squadron when I was listed at wartling near evens eh bay very nice area tho it was years ago I would trade your high st for erdingtons an have you a shed load of cash thrown in. '

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great video, Terry, brought back lots of memories. Was brought up in Handsworth but most of my family lived in Erdington travelled on the No 5 and No 2 trams quite regularly. I also went to school in Erdington travelling on the outer circle No 11 route.
The picture of the swimming baths, however, no happy thoughts there, I was terrified of the water!
Loved the music, happy days.

I've now also uploaded the 23 minute video to the Vimeo host site. So far with no copyright issue, but it's early days!

https://vimeo.com/73024906

--
Just watched your video Terry, great memories except for the main post office in Erdington. Used to take ages to post a suitcase full of registerred letters containing the wages of R. M. Douglas employees scattered around the country. If anyone knew how much money i was carrying in that suitcase i`d probably have been mugged. Is there any chance of a Erdington recalled-2 ?

Many thanks to all for the latest feedback on my video. Even if you weren't local to Erdington, I hope (if you're above a certain age) that you get the same sort of nostalgic pleasure from the music track as I do.

Katie,

I was sometimes in the Baths twice a day in the summers, after I got my free pass. I recall one of my Moor End Lane Primary school teachers spending the lunch hour with me while I breast-stroked my way to the requisite half mile. At the end of the 26 lengths I had to be lifted out.

Outer Circle Number 11, yes! Another of my childhood joys. Used to regularly do the whole trip from a nearside seat on the top deck. Individual branches scraping into my window from gardens along the route became familiar friends. And no doubt contributed to my fertile imagined adventures, with me in my Tarzan, Superman or Dick Barton role.

--

Eastgates Cafe was the first time I went anywhere where there was a juke box. This would have been in the mid l950's.
I used to go to Broomfield Road Hall for an exercise group. Tossing clubs around I think. I was allowed to go to Broomfield Road because my Mother had taken classes there
years before. I went back to Eastgates several times as it was "the place to be" at that time. I have never been in the Brookvale pub but did go to The Star Picture house close by.

Hallo again

This may be a bit too old but I have just updated my website https://www.members.iinet.net.au/[email protected]/ with memories of Gravelly Hill Erdington at the beginning of last century.
Anyway someone might find them interesting memories of days gone by.

Christine

Hi Can you please shed any light on The Bomb Proof Construction Co ( A 2 story factory Building in Woodend lane just off 6 ways Erdington.)
A picture taken in 1955 is featured in the Erdington Vol 11 book by Peter Drake and Marian Baxter and shows its name on the front of the building
Who were they what did they make or construct.
Thanks & regards

Back