• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Empty building corner Alcester St. Green St

ladylinda

master brummie
Hi everyone,not sure if this request is in the right place,but I'm sure it'll be moved if it's not!
I walk past this building several times a week and would like to know what it was originally used for,ie factory/offices.
It's on the corner of Alcester St and Green Street

From before 1841 to 1895 :
25-26 Alcester St. James Boyce & Son, brassfounders
Before (1829) it had been Boyce James, brass cabinet and umbrella manufacturer, and umbrella and parasol maker.
From 1900 – 1932 there is no number given (and no 26 has mysteriously given as the opposite side of the junction), but I feel the site must be occupied by Frederick Owen & Co, coffin furniture makers.
By 1933 it is the General Coffin Furniture Co Ltd, (Ellesmere works). This remains till 1950, but building is not listed in the 1956 directory.
To me the building looks early or mid 19th century, so was originally built for James Boyce
mike

Thanks Mike,it looks a lovely old building with a nice doorway on the Alcester St side.It has to have been empty for the last 10 years or so,I think-I've never noticed any comings and goings,anyway,though I am half asleep some mornings!

Back