• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

dykmoke st/stanhope st..highgate

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
dymoke st/stanhope st..highgate

hi folks..would anyone have any pics of dykmoke and stanhope streets please..

many thanks..

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn

I'm pretty sure that a photo of the Peacock on the corner of Darwin St and Dymoke Street has appeared on the forum before, but I don't know if it is still here. The other two I'm not so sure about, as I don't think I have put them up before.

Attachments

• Highgate Dymoke Street.jpg
    Highgate Dymoke Street.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Highgate Angelina St - Stanhope St 1959.JPG
    Highgate Angelina St - Stanhope St 1959.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Highgate Darwin St The Peacock.jpg
    Highgate Darwin St The Peacock.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 68
Re: dymoke st/stanhope st..highgate

thanks phil..great one of dymoke st..

lyn

Last edited:

lol ive spelt that wrong on the thread title should be dymoke...dont seem to be able to edit the thread title..
ta bernie for pointing it out.

lyn

Seeing the three photographs of Dymoke street, I remember that in 1955 the Callagan family lived in the three storey and Mr & Mrs Lennon ran the shop, opposite was a pawn shop.

My maternal grandparents lived in Dymoke St in 1891,no 11 I think.

I lived at 37 Dymoke st as a lad, I attended St Albans school ,corner of Dymoke st /Leopold st. The playground was on the roof. Our teacher was Miss Askew, the caretaker was Mr Cope.The bottom level of the school was divided into classrooms by very large doors which were opened for assembly. One my school friends lived at THE EAGLE pub Longmore st ( Roy Edwards) another was (Peter Tattam) who lived in St Martins flats Dymoke st just behind the communial air raid shelter.<br> Almost opposite THE TRIANGLE CINEMA, was the post office where the telegram boys had little red motor bikes to deliver messages, The Birmingham restaurants and Dr Dheeri 's surgery were also there.<br>On the bend, was my favourite toy shop and opposite but further along was Colemans butchers. Incedently , our coal man was Jack Cartwright his yard was Moseley rd/ Highgate rd.<br><br>

Hello,

I recall St Albans School, didn't it have floor to ceiling sliding doors that were open for assembly and closed to form the individual classrooms?

Regards

David

You are bang on Brian - Do you remember the Twogood family in between them. Joe had 2 elder sisters but I can't remember their names. I lived facing the outdoor just a stones throw from the photograph shown. Our lives must have run close together in the early days as I to went to St Alban's from the age of 4+ to 11 when our family left the area for Sheldon in 1957. We lived at no 67.

You are bang on Brian - Do you remember the Twogood family in between them. Joe had 2 elder sisters but I can't remember their names. I lived facing the outdoor just a stones throw from the photograph shown. Our lives must have run close together in the early days as I to went to St Alban's from the age of 4+ to 11 when our family left the area for Sheldon in 1957. We lived at no 67.
Trevor, the names i recall of the Toogoods was Queenie & Ivy. I seem to remember that you lived up a terrace almost opposite our house which was No37. Mrs Lora Gunn ran the outdoor , she had a grandson called Harvey.
Bradshaws ran a shop opposite the outdoor ,Mr Bradshaw drove a GPO. cable lorry.
Miss Askew was my teacher at St Albans

On the subject of Dymoke Street, can someone with the necessary access have a look at the 1901 Census.
RG13, Piece 2856, Folio 72, Page 26.

And confirm the address of the Ferkins family - It's their name, HONEST!

Bottom of the page. It looks like 1 Haighton Terrace.

And Phil. I'm going to grab one of those images if you don't mind.

Brian,
Once again you are correct the Toogoods daughters but they were older and Joey was a year or two older than me. We lived on the front of the street. facing the outdoor and between us and the Bradshaw shop was the family Craythorne's they had a son and a daughter, the son I think was John and did National Service with the lad from the house the back of him called ISHMALE or similar, any way they went AWOL. The redcaps came for them, exciting time for me, what drama. I don't know which way the house numbers ran I guess the shop would have been No 71 or 63. I don't remember any of the people you mention including the teacher. The only one for sure was a Miss Wilson who I think was very handy at pulling up my short trouser leg and giving me a right slap for some reason or other. A Miss Gittings was I think the headmistress. The senior school we had a Mr Cox who had a glowing reputation of being handy with his cane. Fortunately I never had to find out. We moved after the start and I only went there for about 3 weeks. I had a mate called John Smith who lived up the next entry up towards the school. Never seen or heard of him since. Thankyou for the info it's nice to walk down the old end again. Regards trevor.

Hello Ken, the address is Brighton Terrace, it is clearer if you look at the next page.

There used to be a Firkin Bakers shop in Great Barr, opposite the Scott Arms

Brian,
Once again you are correct the Toogoods daughters but they were older and Joey was a year or two older than me. We lived on the front of the street. facing the outdoor and between us and the Bradshaw shop was the family Craythorne's they had a son and a daughter, the son I think was John and did National Service with the lad from the house the back of him called ISHMALE or similar, any way they went AWOL. The redcaps came for them, exciting time for me, what drama. I don't know which way the house numbers ran I guess the shop would have been No 71 or 63. I don't remember any of the people you mention including the teacher. The only one for sure was a Miss Wilson who I think was very handy at pulling up my short trouser leg and giving me a right slap for some reason or other. A Miss Gittings was I think the headmistress. The senior school we had a Mr Cox who had a glowing reputation of being handy with his cane. Fortunately I never had to find out. We moved after the start and I only went there for about 3 weeks. I had a mate called John Smith who lived up the next entry up towards the school. Never seen or heard of him since. Thankyou for the info it's nice to walk down the old end again. Regards trevor.
Trevor, I must apologise I was getting you mixed up with Tony Hancox, it was he who lived up the terrace on your side of the road. Also do you remember Malclom & Peter Price, they lived in the house just visible in the picture corner Angelina st & Dymoke st.
Down our entry lived Pauline Smith & The Browns Roy & Joe who was the eldest. Their parents were Joe & Beatie. Our next door neighbour was Granny Neil, she was deaf & dumb

Brian, you are mind of information and you have brought forgotten names from the past to me. Pauline Smith was in my class at school at sometime or other. We used to walk up to school together in those days. Peter Price and I we good pals and we went 'BOB A JOB' with the cubs or scouts. You mention Mrs Neil I mistakenly called her Mrs Cox in one of my recent posts. I can't recall the Browns at all and Malcolm only as Peters younger brother. Thanks .

Back