• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dutton

Tricky then.

She may have had one daughter with George Boyd - Sheila I - but can't see what happened to her or to George after 1939.

Mollie is listed with her parents/mother on electoral rolls subsequently at 14 Second Avenue. No sign of George.

Mollie had a number of brothers and sisters but no obvious other children registered.

where can I find the marriage record record or any record for Mollie pre 1939?
unless you already have done so your best bet is to subscribe to ancestry or find my past to search all records..ancestry is not expensive..less than £15 for a month subscription

Mollie's marriage and birth registration can be found on freebmd...

She is listed on the 1921 census on findmypast...

And her baptism is on familysearch...

Some you need to just register and some you need to subscribe and pay.

There doesn't appear to be any trace of Sheila after her birth registration - marriage or death. Nor does she appear on the electoral roll of the 1960s (that are available) with Mollie.

As you say you think Mollie was your mother, I'm assuming you were adopted so perhaps Sheila was as well and her name subsequently changed.

Apologies if that is not the case.

That is a good thought. Is there any way that I can find out any details of such an adoption if it exists. I knew my birth name and my adoptive name so it was straightforward.

Thanks for the help

I don't know much about adoptions but you might possibly need to use an intermediary to look into it for you. That's assuming she was adopted.

Other members have more experience of adoptions so hopefully someone will be able to give more help.

You could also try a dna test but that is reliant upon Sheila or her descendants having done one as well to get a match.

Tricky then.

She may have had one daughter with George Boyd - Sheila I - but can't see what happened to her or to George after 1939.

Mollie is listed with her parents/mother on electoral rolls subsequently at 14 Second Avenue. No sign of George.

Mollie had a number of brothers and sisters but no obvious other children registered.
I now have the birth certificate for Sheila Irene Boyd. Born 28 Dec 1939 in Kings Norton. Registered on 27th Jan 1940. No records of her after that.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back again! I have found that Sheila died in Falkirk Scotland in 2011. Also found a couple of 1st cousins in the Birmingham area, via Ancestry DNA. Anyone have any info regarding Lisa Phillips - parents Maurice and Sandra Philips, or Sheila Jones - mother Evelyn Jones nee Chellingworth?

Pleased you're making progress.

I can't find anything about any of those other people you mention, births or marriages.

Back again! I have found that Sheila died in Falkirk Scotland in 2011. Also found a couple of 1st cousins in the Birmingham area, via Ancestry DNA. Anyone have any info regarding Lisa Phillips - parents Maurice and Sandra Philips, or Sheila Jones - mother Evelyn Jones nee Chellingworth?
Sorry to ask but...The Sheila Boyd who died in Falkirk seems to have dob 2 Dec 1939 (not 28 Dec) and is listed as Mrs Boyd. Are you sure it is the right person?

• Appreciate
This was the record I found
1661278645132.png
There is a tree in Ancestry which suggests she is the daughter of Mollie and George - have you contacted them?

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
This was the record I found
View attachment 172574
There is a tree in Ancestry which suggests she is the daughter of Mollie and George - have you contacted them?
Thank you Janice. I have a copy of the birth certificate for Sheila which states she was born on 28 Dec 39. It maybe you are right about it being the wrong person in Falkirk. Where did you find the record above? John

Thank you Janice. I have a copy of the birth certificate for Sheila which states she was born on 28 Dec 39. It maybe you are righ
Thank you Janice. I have a copy of the birth certificate for Sheila which states she was born on 28 Dec 39. It maybe you are right about it being the wrong person in Falkirk. Where did you find the record above? John
Mollie died in 2014 and I can't find any record of George after 1939, possibly died in WW2.

It came up on Ancestry in UK records as opposed to England and Wales records. As I said it is attached to a tree showing this Sheila as being tge daughter of Mollie and George. I have learned over the years to be suspicious of trees with no (or few) records attached as evidence.

Hope you don’t mind me butting in but I am searching for information about Norah Dutton b 1914 who is I think the sister of Mollie Dutton . Norah married my mother’s brother George Henry Ford. Information about Norah and her descendants would be helpful if you have any. Tinpot

Last edited:
Living at 1895 Coventry Road in 1939.

There are 4 Ford/Dutton children registered in Bham - James D 1940, Christine M 1944, Dorothy A 1947 and Pauline M 1952., which you probably already know.

Living at 1895 Coventry Road in 1939.

There are 4 Ford/Dutton children registered in Bham - James D 1940, Christine M 1944, Dorothy A 1947 and Pauline M 1952., which you probably already know.
Thanks MWS I only remember meeting 2 so this is news for me.

Thanks MWS I only remember meeting 2 so this is news for me.

Possibly Christine married Ian D Goodall, and was living in Tamworth, Dorothy married David Rock and was living in Walsall and Pauline married Richard G M Berry and was living in London & Seaview.

And sadly Christine may have died in 2004.

But can't be certain.

Possibly Christine married Ian D Goodall, and was living in Tamworth, Dorothy married David Rock and was living in Walsall and Pauline married Richard G M Berry and was living in London & Seaview.

And sadly Christine may have died in 2004.

But can't be certain.
I had seen posts on BHF by Dave Rock looking for information about Norah some time ago but he no longer contributes to the site.

That would seem to confirm at least one of the marriages then.

George and Norah are listed at 18 Hansons Bridge Road up to 1962 and 46 Woodlands Farm Road in 1965.

I think I may have mentioned some of this previously on a different thread.

That would seem to confirm at least one of the marriages then.

George and Norah are listed at 18 Hansons Bridge Road up to 1962 and 46 Woodlands Farm Road in 1965.

I think I may have mentioned some of this previously on a different thread.
I am keen to find info about James D if you have anything else MWS.

He appears to marry a Patricia M Kirk in 1963, listed at 76 Woodlands Farm Road in 1965.

There are 2 Ford/Kirk children registered in Bham - Mark J and Stephen Paul - but again can't be certain they are theirs.

And James may have remarried in 2001 to an Elizabeth Lacey.

Back