• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dunkirk-Fight to the Last Man

O

O.C.

Dunkirk - Fight to the Last Man
by Hugh Sebag-Montefiore
What a terrific true story...... 'The evacuation of British troops from Dunkirk in 1940 is one of the best known episodes in world history. Yet the rescue was not just about what happened on the beaches and at sea. This new book makes it clear that the evacuation would never have succeeded had it not been for the tenacity of the British soldiers who remained behind to fight on while the rest of the Army retreated. The crucial battles took place outside Dunkirk. On 24 May 1940 the German panzer divisions which had bludgeoned their way through France halted at the canal line south of Dunkirk. However on 27 May they advanced again, intending to encircle and capture half a million allied soldiers, many of them British. They would have succeeded had it not been for the British battalions ordered to stand in their path. Their job was to shield the corridor down which the rest of the Army was retreating to Dunkirk by holding a series of strong points (key towns and villages), and they were not to give way until they had fired their last bullet. They were to fight to the last man. Hardly any of those brave men made it back to the beaches or the Dunkirk 'mole'. Most were either killed or captured at their posts. They are the forgotten heroes of Dunkirk, and it is their valiant exploits which form the core of this book.'

Last edited by a moderator:
I will admit I haven't read this particular book about the battle of Dunkirk - 'Fight to the Last Man' by Hugh Sebag-Montefiore - However next time I am out I will look for it - It might be worth my while to read it! -

Who knows a book that stirs the imagination - might just become required reading in High Schools!

:angel: Thanx Crommie :cool: I will be reading that book too.
My Dad always talked about the guys who held their posts at Dunkirk so that the others could get away. It seemed that he either knew someone in later years who was there and captured, or worked with someone who's brother became a POW.
I can't remember which.

Graham I thought you might be interested in this story as it was told to me:
My husband’s older brother Andrew – a dispatcher in 51st Highland Regiment of Royal Engineers – attached to the Gordon Highlanders was captured at Dunkirk –Fortunately he had taken German at school so he became the camps interpreter- The Commandant liked him and gave him passes out of the prison camp on assurances he wouldn’t try to escape –

One day towards the end of the war the all the guards left – so the prisoners made their escape – and eventually met up with some Americans newly in the field who where killing Germans right and left – this bothered Andrew and the others because back at the camp they had all be treated reasonably well –

However, they were all given American uniforms and the R.A F flew them home –

Back