• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

do any of these names look familiar

L

lakkylady

Sanders, Thornton, Latham, Horton, Candelent, Hodgkiss, all from B. ham or surrounding areas

Hi Angie
I've got Thomas Hodgkiss but I've given you the details on Rootschat!
Cheers
Marlene

Hiya

I have a Mary H Horton, married Leonard Grindrod Aston 1916. They had a child Olive V Grindrod in 1920. Any Connections ?

Dave

My brother-in-law and his family lived at 27 Guilrford Street from the '30s to the '50s. His name was Denis and his mother I thinks was Lil; his grandfather I think was John

I worked with an ALBERT HORTON at GEC WITTON the 1970/80. He was in the TURBO DRAWING OFFICE.
Could this be one of yours?
ASTON

Aston, my grandad and an uncle and cousin were/are named Albert Horton, my grandad died 1950 and I know my uncle and cousin never worked there. Thanks anyway.

Can't remember if we've been in contact already, Lakkylady, but I have Candelents in my researches. My connection is with Thomas (1877).

Hi,

I worked with an Alan Candelent in the late 1950's at the Head Office of the then Birmingham City Transport. I moved south to Dorset in 1961 and we met up again about 1963 when Alan was the manager of Marnhull Youth Hostel - now long since gone. I now live in Crete, but would love to make contact with him again. I believe he lived out Sheldon way when in Birmingham.

Maurice at The LONGMORE Pages
https://www.msheppard.com

Hi sospiri

Alan Candelent (b.1939) is in my extended family. There is only one Alan Candelent listed on the electoral register, living in Leeds. I will make some local enquiries as to whether this is the same person and get back to you.

Hi Sospiri

Yes, I think Alan's middle name is Eric (his father's name). I contacted a Brummie Candelent today to ask about Alan but he didn't know anything about him - not surprising as they are second cousins once removed!

I'm fairly sure the chap in Leeds is the right one as his wife's name coincides with information in my database. I will phone him first, to ask permission to pass on details (well, he might owe you money :D). I'll pm you then.

I was told by someone who has been researching the Candelent family for many years that all Candelents and variations in the UK are related. I wish the name was in my direct line - it would be so easy to research! :)

Thanks again, Icarus.

He might even know the whereabouts of the other one in our trio - Pete Lane of Quinton who also used to work for BCT Head Office. I'd met Alan's parents many times as the three of us used to spend hours stripping down the engine out of an old J Series van around their place, but I can't remember his parents' forenames, probably because in those more respectful days we only knew tham as Mr & Mrs Candelent! ::)

And somewhere I even have some old photographs! ;D He! He!

Regards,

Maurice in sunny Crete

Back